Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
Y'all can vote for whomever, but, from what I've read of the other candidates, they offer little in regards to making a difference for the NE area.
LOL....yeah lets ask those in the ''Devils Triangle'' area what she's done for them lately .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM

37 posts, read 69,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL....yeah lets ask those in the ''Devils Triangle'' area what she's done for them lately .
I think it's improved a lot in that area since the time I was a younger man living near there. A lot less death, violent outbreaks and crime in that area if I recollect correctly. I'm not saying she had an impact, but improved police coverage in the NE has made that area a lot safer than in prior years.
I've included an article about it:
Angel's Triangle is a neighborhood located in Northeast El Paso in El Paso, Texas, bordered by Dyer Street, Gateway Blvd North (US-54), and Hondo Pass Drive. Moderator cut: copyrighted article

Eventually nicknamed "Devil's Triangle", Angel's Triangle was first established around the 1960s as an area to house low income residents and was considered a nice place to live until the neighborhood saw its decline in the late 1970s. Moderator cut: copyrighted article

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel's_Triangle,_El_Paso,_Texas

Does that answer your query?

Last edited by Bo; 05-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Please limit quotes of copyrighted articles to no more than 2 sentences.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 AM

272 posts, read 1,063,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
I think it's improved a lot in that area since the time I was a younger man living near there. A lot less death, violent outbreaks and crime in that area if I recollect correctly. I'm not saying she had an impact, but improved police coverage in the NE has made that area a lot safer than in prior years.
I've included an article about it:
Angel's Triangle is a neighborhood located in Northeast El Paso in El Paso, Texas, bordered by Dyer Street, Gateway Blvd North (US-54), and Hondo Pass Drive. It is a low-income neighborhood that has had a history plagued by crime.

Eventually nicknamed "Devil's Triangle", Angel's Triangle was first established around the 1960s as an area to house low income residents and was considered a nice place to live until the neighborhood saw its decline in the late 1970s. Comprised of duplexes and multi-family apartments, Angel's Triangle has one of the highest density rates in the city. In the mid 1980s, drugs and gangs plagued the neighborhood, and the residents feared going to the local park where gang members congregated and hypodermic needles could be found lying on the ground.

In the early 1990s, crime was at an all time high when the El Paso police department intervened and heavily patrolled the area with intent to lower the crime rate. By the early 2000s, crime was at an all time low in the neighborhood and the residents have officially changed the name from "Devil's Triangle" to "Angel's Triangle". Today,crime has slightly increased and, in 2005, the neighborhood saw its first homicide in years. However, the crime rate is not nearly as high as it used to be.
Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel's_Triangle,_El_Paso,_Texas

Does that answer your query?
You are correct about the Devil's Triangle being a much better area than before. But most of the work by the city and the police department to erradicate gangs and crime was done before Ms. Precious ever took office. So it is disingenuous of you to try and give credit to her for the progress made at the Angel's Triangle since all of the changes were being implemented about 7-8 years ago, way before she got elected to city council.

In fact I would venture to say that she most likely would have opposed the more aggressive policing in the triangle that has led to the dramatic decrease in crime since she would have considered it discriminatory, racial profiling or some kind of nonsense like that. With all due respect to her, her husband and her family, she along Eddie Monster from the Mission Valley have been two of the most worthless council members in the last decade.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
You are correct about the Devil's Triangle being a much better area than before. But most of the work by the city and the police department to erradicate gangs and crime was done before Ms. Precious ever took office. So it is disingenuous of you to try and give credit to her for the progress made at the Angel's Triangle since all of the changes were being implemented about 7-8 years ago, way before she got elected to city council.

In fact I would venture to say that she most likely would have opposed the more aggressive policing in the triangle that has led to the dramatic decrease in crime since she would have considered it discriminatory, racial profiling or some kind of nonsense like that. With all due respect to her, her husband and her family, she along Eddie Monster from the Mission Valley have been two of the most worthless council members in the last decade.
I think you misread my post. I did not credit Ms. Castro with the improvement of that area other than saying that while in office, it hasn't gotten worse than in past years. Crime in all areas of the city is pretty much consistent in what the criminals are seeking out. I will say that since Ms. Castro has been in office, crime in my area has not increased. If that was partly due to her, that's great, if not then I applaud the city's police dept.
I'm sorry you do not like either Castro or Holguin, that is, however, your choice, not mine.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
"Castro says she'll pay the city $30,000 on Tuesday to settle debt question" Newspaper Tree

I read her response to her lawsuit. From what I and many others recall- she's lying her pants off to the voters. But oh well. The supposed mudslinging between her and Cook is pretty funny though. I like how she posts his emails. And there were a few people who thought she was above this. LOL!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

On a side note: One wonders how she can just pop out $30,000 just like that. Hmmm.....

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
On a side note: One wonders how she can just pop out $30,000 just like that. Hmmm.....
I don't wonder.....she said it was creating a hardship on herself and her family...........no nuclear science degree needed to understand that one....d'oh !

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
"Castro says she'll pay the city $30,000 on Tuesday to settle debt question" Newspaper Tree

I read her response to her lawsuit. From what I and many others recall- she's lying her pants off to the voters. But oh well. The supposed mudslinging between her and Cook is pretty funny though. I like how she posts his emails. And there were a few people who thought she was above this. LOL!
You can enjoy it when there's nothing left to pay with after the city bleeds us dry.......(no new taxes..........where have I heard that before??????)......my property tax estimate is up by almost 300 dollars.........not the Mayor's fault.......I know,........Ms. Castro did it, right?.........perhaps to help raise that 30 grand she needed.........give it a break

Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Hey man...why the attack here? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Damn...sorry for posting my opinion. Did I say that she was doing something wrong to conjurer up that amount of cash? No. I was just saying I was wondering how she did it on her salary. I didn't say anything against it.

You sure are going above and beyond for her. Geez!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hey man...why the attack here? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Damn...sorry for posting my opinion. Did I say that she was doing something wrong to conjurer up that amount of cash? No. I was just saying I was wondering how she did it on her salary. I didn't say anything against it.

You sure are going above and beyond for her. Geez!
My apologies here. Being flippant in text is hard to decipher at times. I meant nothing personal or malicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso