Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 29,933 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to figure out if I will transfer to UTEP next fall. I'll be a junior and most likely living on campus. (My Dad is a bit worried about me living so close to the border and wouldn't like the idea of me in off campus housing.)

I'd just like some general experiences people have had at UTEP both with the education as well as socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,168 times
El Paso is the 3rd safest city in the country. You can trust off-campus housing.
UTEP isnt like other colleges. It's a commuter school and there's alot of students from Mexico.
But it's a nice campus.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
I think the paper this AM said 2nd safest.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
Default apply early

If your intent is to live in campus housing, apply REALLY early...the waitlist is typically 200 students though for next fall, new apts. will be opening with, I believe, 200 more spaces next to campus on Schuster Ave. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutieness220 View Post
I've been trying to figure out if I will transfer to UTEP next fall. I'll be a junior and most likely living on campus. (My Dad is a bit worried about me living so close to the border and wouldn't like the idea of me in off campus housing.)

I'd just like some general experiences people have had at UTEP both with the education as well as socially.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
The neighborhoods near UTEP are all nice. Kern is a bit expensive - Sunset Heights south of the campus is one of the historic areas and has a good mix of students, people who work downtown and older folks. Arizona Rio Grande - near El Paso High is similar to Sunset Heights perhaps a bit quieter.

UTEP is a nice school to attend and one can get a good education there. Its not Berkeley or Michigan but still had decent academic standards.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:53 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
UTEP is a nice school to attend and one can get a good education there. Its not Berkeley or Michigan but still had decent academic standards.
This is not correct.

UTEP has no academic standards. It's a community college with 4 year accreditation.

Perfectly safe, but if you want a degree worth more than the paper it's printed on, go somewhere else.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Ok ZDG so you're angry at UTEP. Which university did you get your degree from? I've attended about 7 colleges with 4 degrees. UTEP still have requirements that are sent down from Austin. Many people have graduated from UTEP and gotten decent jobs in El Paso and around the country. Before I had ever moved to Texas I had thought UTEP and Austin were the same and many on the east coast would not differentiate.

It was important enough to me to graduate from one of the best universities, so I went to the University of California and was amazed. This doesn't make UTEP a bad school. I wish UTEP didn't care about publishing so much and selected the best teachers, those with experience in their field, but its a problem with many other universities as well.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
For some fields UTEP is okay but for others, a student just has to have determination, repeat a course over and over and stick with it, eventually they'll be given a degree. I've seen UTEP graduates who are no better in math than a typical third grader should be. If UTEP wants to advance it's image, it needs to have some kind of admission standards but I suppose admission standards means less federal and state money.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For some fields UTEP is okay
For some fields UTEP is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've seen UTEP graduates who are no better in math than a typical third grader should be.
That can be said of almost all universities.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
For some fields UTEP is excellent.

That can be said of almost all universities.
All universities with no admission standards at least. Those universities that require at least a level of third grade to enroll have better reputations. As much as people like to believe otherwise, when there are no admission requirements, a university cannot be considered top-notch.

Of course it depends on expectations of a universities, UTEP does okay in some fields, some fields are degree mills. I really don't understand the opposition to enrollment standards except of course it's big money to have people going there instead of to EPCC for remedial coursework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso