Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Well I'm not on dialysis and I love the heat here. I'm already sad because I think the 100 degrees weather will soon come to an end. Maybe a month or so - that's it. I have no trouble at all breathing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Uh oh. That is two malamute posts in a row I agree with.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 AM

17 posts, read 25,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree~ View Post
I think the city is "covered in trash" due to the winds we experience. I doubt it is caused by people who constantly litter. Also, it is already hot here. It's been in the 90's for the past couple of weeks. We got the heat late this year. It isn't unusual for it to be in the 90's in March. However, it seems that about 5 pm is the hottest time of the day. Plus with the low humidity, 90 really is not bad.

If you have allergies, this is the worst place to live. You would think, "desert, no pollen!" You would be wrong LOL They have desert pollens plus a buttload of pollution from Juarez. My allergy shots completely eradicated all of my allergies for years until I moved here. I now also have asthma. Yay me

The shopping here is non existent if you want anything other than Macy's, Dillards, Penney's, and Sears. We do have 4 Targets which thrills me to no end, but if you want higher end shopping you have to travel 4 1/2 hours to Albuquerque, 6 1/2 hours to Phoenix, or 8 hours to San Antonio. Have you ever lived on an island? If you have and you were cool with it then the isolation of El Paso shouldn't bother you. The isolation bothers me more than anything. People are friendly enough when you speak to them, but I constantly have people cutting in line at stores, etc. as the PP mentioned. My husband has taken to pretending not to see them and hitting their ankles with his shopping cart. I am not that passive aggressive, I am outwardly aggressive and now say something (nicely ) rather than ignore it like I did the first year or so we were here.

If you like desert hiking or biking, you will love it here. For me, after two and a half years I have seen enough brown, dead nothingness. I want to walk in grass again... see trees. It's a culture shock when we drive to San Antonio and hit hill country. All those darn flowers, grass, and trees LOL

We do have a Whole Foods like store, but it is pretty small. Sun Harvest on the west side is nice and they have good wine specials. The only other store like that (that I know of anyway) is Toucan Market in Las Cruces. LC isn't that far... 30 - 60 minutes depending upon where you live. They, however, don't really offer much that ELP doesn't.

It's not a horrible place to live, don't get me wrong. I just cannot wait to flee this city LOL To put it in perspective though, my husband could have received orders to move to DC this summer. I chose ELP over that. I hate, hate, hate DC with a passion. I was stationed there long enough and never need to see that city again. The traffic is an absolute nightmare. Here only I-10 is a nightmare and mainly just during rush hour. The weather here is absolutely perfect if you don't mind heat. I don't mind heat, so I do love that and all the sunshine.
Perfect description. Agreed, except I'd prefer Alaska!!!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 25,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenie View Post
I hear that, but my husband is not retiring yet and so we're going where there is work for him Once he retires we may stay or go somewhere else. We should know by then!
Another thing I thought of today is that everyone here lies. If you ask them a question, instead of saying something nice like, "I do not know," they always have to "save face." To do that they automatically lie and tell you what they think you want to hear. So, it's very difficult to have an honest conversation. We moved here trusting everyone and happy with our new assignment, but after a few years the honeymoon was over with El Paso, and now we are stuck. What is the answer? Learn to read body language, I guess.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well I don't lie and I live here.

I think the only thing to do is move away - El Paso isn't everyone's kind of town. There are reasons to live here but there are also reasons not to live here.

Some people think it's too hot here - which is fine because there are colder places to move to.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Very odd. There are far more critics, negative posts, and haters on this board than there are El Paso cheerleaders.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 AM

130 posts, read 322,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Very odd. There are far more critics, negative posts, and haters on this board than there are El Paso cheerleaders.
I think the heat is making us cranky

Old 06-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alov0303 View Post
I think the heat is making us cranky
Hmm, I must have forgot to quote the post I was referencing. It is fine to be a hater or a critic. I only posted what I said because shiralee said everyone lies here and tries to save face. My point was that more people here are critics of El Paso and not cheerleaders. I am not sure where she came up with that.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM

130 posts, read 322,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Hmm, I must have forgot to quote the post I was referencing. It is fine to be a hater or a critic. I only posted what I said because shiralee said everyone lies here and tries to save face. My point was that more people here are critics of El Paso and not cheerleaders. I am not sure where she came up with that.
I know, I was only joking to lighten the mood . God knows I have been critical of El Paso as well but I agree that personal comments such as "everyone here lies" are uncalled for. I think they shut down conversation and prevent people from listening to your message. Shiralee has had a bad experience here and I am sorry for that. Nothing sucks more that being stuck in a place you hate. i think that posters to this board truly love El Paso and portray it through their eyes but I don't want to discredit shiralee's experience either.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Hi there. First time poster here. I found your forum as we just found out we are moving to El Paso. I would really like to get a sense of neighborhoods since I've got less than 2 months to find a place to live. From the research I've found so far EVERYONE says live on the West side. The problem I have is when looking at places that are for rent (houses mainly) they are closer to 1200+ on the west side but it seems there are houses for 800-900 on the east side. Can I hear your feedback on this subject? We are fine with living near military families, or law enforcement families. Maybe there's not even neighborhoods like that. I don't know how the neighborhoods are split up. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! We are moving from Chicago - so we are prepared for the bit of culture shock we will experience. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso