Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

The primaries are suppose to root out the contenders for each political party... should we have primaries anymore? Should anyone who want to run be allowed to run? I know you can switch to independent but given how Republicans and Democrats have "regulated" the political arena, it gives their candidates an obvious advantage... should anyone who wishes to run be allowed to run... the problem I can see is if we have too many candidates and someone eeks by 1% to win and everyone is upset... also voter tampering would be HUGE in these cases, whereas today nobody seems to care about illegal votes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM

334 posts, read 188,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The primaries are suppose to root out the contenders for each political party... should we have primaries anymore? Should anyone who want to run be allowed to run? I know you can switch to independent but given how Republicans and Democrats have "regulated" the political arena, it gives their candidates an obvious advantage... should anyone who wishes to run be allowed to run... the problem I can see is if we have too many candidates and someone eeks by 1% to win and everyone is upset... also voter tampering would be HUGE in these cases, whereas today nobody seems to care about illegal votes...
There was no point in having the last one, on the dem side.

Howard Dean engineered Obama. If things went right, we would have president Clinton right now. I'm not saying that would be any better, but Dean made sure Hillary had no chance of winning.

For example.... Michigan Democratic primary, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM

I think you give Howard Dean too much credit... one man is going to change a race...

Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I think you give Howard Dean too much credit... one man is going to change a race...
Of course he's not alone........... but he did X Michigan. Coincidentally, Hillary had 56% of the vote there.

Michigan Democratic primary, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read it.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM

It seems to me that the Republicans messed up Hillary's chances by messing around with the primary and hence broken DNC rules.... even though those are the Democrat's rules.... it doesn't mention anything about Howard Dean... I know it was a crushing blow to Clinton but that wasn't the only state where she lost some votes and it still wouldn't make a difference because Obama won by wider margins...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that the Republicans messed up Hillary's chances by messing around with the primary and hence broken DNC rules.... even though those are the Democrat's rules.... it doesn't mention anything about Howard Dean... I know it was a crushing blow to Clinton but that wasn't the only state where she lost some votes and it still wouldn't make a difference because Obama won by wider margins...
That's because it's Wikipedia. The hero of the liberal point of view.

Make no mistake, as chairman of the DNC, Dean made it happen.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Whaddya mean 'should WE have primaries anymore'?

Primaries are functions of private political parties. Only the members of the respective parties get to (supposedly) decide when/where/how their candidates are chosen.

Don't be misled by the fact that government money is provided for the primaries. In fact, we should probably force both parties to pay for using the government polling stations.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
OMG, what a circus it would be if anyone and everyone could have his name on the ballot? Of course we have to have primaries or conventions, or something. Yes, the two main parties do have a decided advantage but that certainly doesn't suggest primaries should cease.

Nita

Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Of course he's not alone........... but he did X Michigan. Coincidentally, Hillary had 56% of the vote there.

Michigan Democratic primary, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read it.
There was a lot more to her losing than Dean...She peaked too soon, Obama had a machine everyone under estimated, he was new and fresh, and made promises others could not or would not make. Of course most of what he promised hasn't happened, but he made them anyway. No, Hillary's loss was not created by Dean. Of course he had something to do with it, there are always many things that can affect our choices, never 1 or 2 things.

Nita

Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
hillary probably wouldve lost as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections