Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times

Advertisements

An easy way to find out if you are being discriminated against is having a friend pretend he wants the room.

If you are black and feel you were denied because of race, have the white friend go in and pretend he wants the apartment. if the white friend gets it and comes off as a lesser of a tenant then the black, the landlord is screwed.

i remember a 20/20 on that same issue years ago and they got just pummeled with violations and fees. you can catch them if you know what you are doing.

i intend on doing this when i buy my next car. me(mixed white/black) am going to have my white girlfriend pretend that she wants the car. her credit is good, but not as good as mine. then I will go and ask about the same car. if the numbers don't come out right, they will be in big trouble.

of course i don't think this will happen, as I believe most people are fair, but you may just run into that one who wants to ********* which is why I'm doing it this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
An easy way to find out if you are being discriminated against is having a friend pretend he wants the room.
Won't work in many scenarios unless you are absolutely equivalent in every parameter.

Quote:
If you are black and feel you were denied because of race, have the white friend go in and pretend he wants the apartment. if the white friend gets it and comes off as a lesser of a tenant then the black, the landlord is screwed.
Not really. The landlord can easily say it was because you had worse credit. Again, you're equating those who would discriminate on someone who HAPPENS to be black versus someone who discriminates BECAUSE they are black.

Quote:
i remember a 20/20 on that same issue years ago and they got just pummeled with violations and fees. you can catch them if you know what you are doing.
Might work against an apartment complex but not an individual. The individual could just say that you orally made demands the landlord couldn't satisfy.

Also, good luck funding a lawyer or trying to find one who'll work pro bono with flimsy evidence like that.

Quote:
i intend on doing this when i buy my next car. me(mixed white/black) am going to have my white girlfriend pretend that she wants the car. her credit is good, but not as good as mine. then I will go and ask about the same car. if the numbers don't come out right, they will be in big trouble.
Not really, because they won't deny based on everything else being equal. They coldly look at your credit score without regard to your skin color. The rational businesses do anyway.

Quote:
of course i don't think this will happen, as I believe most people are fair
^ this

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 AM

My advice to any private landlord: get as much quantitative information from the applicant as possible, so you have lots of evidence in the event one of these loony tunes tries to trump up some discrimination charge. I'm sure there are a lot of people down on their luck who would love to get some extra cash by faking a rental application and suing on discrimination.

Having a credit report showing 520 for an AA applicant who was rejected and a 740 for a non-AA applicant who got the lease is a sure fire way to keep a hungry lawyer off your back. Also, check the laws in your state regarding whether audio recordings are permitted without consent. Might be helpful if the person acts stupid, demanding, and vague in the interview.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Its freee speech but I don't persoanlly approve of it. just as blacks like Rev can call whites devils;free speech.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Discriminating against riff raff who you suspect will trash your place is only logical, and not to mention perfectly legal when you stick to that theme.

You know looks can be deceiving, I have seen an old rube looking guy go into a dealership and be completely ignored. The odd thing about it the man was a frugal millionaire that only paid cash for his cars.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
the rational businesses do yes.

but how am i going to know a rational car dealer from an opportunist car dealer.

an opportunist dealer could stereotype me because of skin color and assume I would pay more for the car and a higher rate. he may think he has a better shot of making more money off of me, so he doesn't come as low on the price as a white. the rate is higher than it would be for a white.

there is no way my girlfriend should be able to get a better deal for me on this car.

if she does, i would have damaging evidence that they were not a rational business and that they need to be put out of business.

again, i dont see this happening at most places, but its not unheard of.

and if that dealer is legit, then he's got my future business.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You know looks can be deceiving, I have seen an old rube looking guy go into a dealership and be completely ignored. The odd thing about it the man was a frugal millionaire that only paid cash for his cars.
Totally agree. Riff raff to me implies a hopeful tenant who acts ghetto or hick like to me, making vague statements about where they work and how they receive income, etc.

Again, please be certain you are addressing the right individual. It's impossible to bust a private landlord who denies someone who HAPPENS to be non-white, especially if they've accumulated real quantitative evidence. How will the person suing afford an attorney? Most won't work for free without airtight evidence.

I'm curious...what kind of damages would you be seeking? Most lawyers won't bother with your case without recorded evidence and something open and shut for them. How much are you willing to pay to retain them? How much time are you willing to put into going to court? You won't be getting a McD's "hot coffee" style 1 million in damages victory. Not by a long shot and the business would not be put under.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,319 times
Ron Paul believes in true freedom without government intervention on your liberties.

He believes that you have the right to be an a$$hole. Is putting that sing up immorral? racist? Yes it is. But he fights for the right for people to be a dbag if they want. It's their choice.

You think that by making laws to stop being people from being racist is REALLY going to make them change their minds? People are racist for other reasons, not because the government "allows" it.

They did the same thing in the last south carolina debate:

Moderator: "Ron, it's been said you look to legalize narcotics, omg, is that true??"

Ron Paul: "I believe in the right to do what you want and the government shouldn't decide what's right for you. You really think that we need the govt to make laws saying you can't do this and we would go 'omg heroin is legal? Let's all hurry up and shoot up drugs, c'mon, the govt isn't protecting us from it anymore!"

Seriously? He believes in your right to do what you want with your life. If someone wants to be a racist that's their right as long as they don't physically harm, abuse, or publically defame the person. Someone who still puts a sign up like that on their window says a lot more about them and they'll probably lose business. If they want to run their business into the ground that's their sovereign right to do so.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Ron Paul believes in true freedom without government intervention on your liberties.
Why does he feel we need government, and him being a part of running it?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why does he feel we need government, and him being a part of running it?
The government has a role to serving the people in regards to protection from outside attack, internal policing of citizens and protection of rights and liberties, and then certain things like power, roads, and other utilities.

Telling us what our rights are and imposing on our sovereign rights is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections