Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,241,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong.

Chris Christie feels the same way.

Try finding a high profile democrat that goes against the party line on this issue.
It wouldn't be "going against the party line," it would be going against scientific consensus and scientific evidence, to take a contrary position based on antipathy towards (or ignorance of) science, or just pandering to a segment of voters that do.

And Republicans are more wont to do that than Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
So I should hope Pawlenty will be apologizing for his apology any day now, since he's in the wrong.

Do you have your studies that correct the scientists on that, or is it just your opinion? Never mind, I know.

And which side is that?
of course it is just my opinion, like yours is your opinion. We all know some scientist claim gblobal warming is real, and if you go back and read what I said, I too know progress has something to do with the climate changes. We also know climates change and have since the beginning of time: Remember hearing about the ice age and remember the winter of 2011?

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
over a topic like this there really is no right or wrong, just peoples opinions.

the gop may think its wrong which is why itll be used against him, but i have respect for people who dont carry party lines and can think for themselves.

i applauded johnson in the debate when he didnt back down about abortion.
and I totally agree with yor: Thrre is no right or wrong answer to any of this. I am not so upset with Romney for his feelings but upset he didn't say that in the past. He will say whatever he thinks he needs to instead of standing firm or like, Pawlenty apologize when he feels he made a mistake.

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Thats the thing...to be a Republican you HAVE TO CARRY THE PARTY LINE ON ALL THINGS.

Democrats are allowed to use their mind and have differing opinions...ex. there's plenty pro life democrats.

But god help a republican that does not TOE THE PARTY LINE.
I think you have your parties confused. Overall Republicans are probably more open to other views than Democrats. No one in his/her right mind thinks any candidate has to hold the same views as others and there are plenty of Republicans that are not ultra right conservatives. That is what Democrats are having trouble understanding. I am not talking the "Romney" type of Republican either.

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM

22,217 posts, read 19,520,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it is just my opinion, like yours is your opinion. We all know some scientist claim gblobal warming is real, and if you go back and read what I said, I too know progress has something to do with the climate changes. We also know climates change and have since the beginning of time: Remember hearing about the ice age and remember the winter of 2011?

Nita
The main position on climate change in part is increased global temperature, but also more extremes and things like 2011. When it comes down to it, I would rather listen to the actual Scientists on Climate Change, rather than the Oil and Energy Industries. On top of that regardless of your position on climate change, I think it should be a goal for everyone to get cleaner air, less pollution, etc.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I think you have your parties confused. Overall Republicans are probably more open to other views than Democrats. No one in his/her right mind thinks any candidate has to hold the same views as others and there are plenty of Republicans that are not ultra right conservatives. That is what Democrats are having trouble understanding. I am not talking the "Romney" type of Republican either.

Nita

The GOP has had such an enormous purity test take place over the last couple of years. For example the Christine O'Donnell over Castle in the DE Primary, buck in the CO primary, Angle in Nevada. If you aren't on board with the GOP on most issues, you are considered a RINO. Hell look at this board.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The GOP has had such an enormous purity test take place over the last couple of years. For example the Christine O'Donnell over Castle in the DE Primary, buck in the CO primary, Angle in Nevada. If you aren't on board with the GOP on most issues, you are considered a RINO. Hell look at this board.
Christine was never a glimmer in the eyes of the average Republican, just a few over the line conservatives: Angle was a different story, but how about all the Republicans than won in 2010? How soon you forget!!!!!

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 15,389,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Mitt Romney, when asked yesterday about climate change, said "'I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that." Further, he says we must take steps to reduce our impact, reduce our output of greenhouse gases.

Looks like Romney's not always a flip-flopper and doesn't have a spine made of Play-doh, first he doesn't repudiate Romneycare, now this. Compare to Pawlenty, who's groveling and apologizing for his past positions that put him at odds with many in the GOP base.

Romney reaffirms stance that global warming is real - The Boston Globe

Romney's defense of his health care is that it is only 700 pages long instead of well over the 2000 (2785?) pages that ObamaCare is.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Christine was never a glimmer in the eyes of the average Republican, just a few over the line conservatives: Angle was a different story, but how about all the Republicans than won in 2010? How soon you forget!!!!!

Nita
Yes, the GOP had a very strong year last year, and the Dems had a bad one. However, very few of those elected would't pass that purity test, those that wouldn't have already been thrown under the bus (Scott Brown). You have very little room for disagreement, hell looked at what happened to Newt (who I am obviously no fan of) when he dared make a suggestion that privatizing Medicare was a bad idea. And of course he then had to come out and apologize for it. Kind of reminded me of the apology tour needed when a Republican dare to question or criticize Rush Limbaugh.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,940,431 times
i actually read the article.

romney favors drilling, natural gas, and nuclear power.

he also opposes cap and trade.

that seems pretty much in tune with what republicans want in their energy policy.

i don't think a republican could win the nomination if he/she supported cap and trade. i personally wish we had a republican that would repeal that stupid light bulb change, where we are all going to have to start using more expensive light bulbs starting next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections