Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

He's the only Republican candidate who refuses to overturn marriage laws in the states, and the only one who thinks the government should have NO business with marriage whatsoever. What a great Libertarian candidate. For 2012 for me it's either Obama or Ron Paul!

I also liked his answer regarding church vs. state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
He's the only Republican candidate who refuses to overturn marriage laws in the states, and the only one who thinks the government should have NO business with marriage whatsoever. What a great Libertarian candidate. For 2012 for me it's either Obama or Ron Paul!

It takes all kinds and I knew a few of you would let the rest of us know what a great job he did< I was less impressed than in times past. First of all some of his answers really were not very clear and second he looked awful, either the age is showing or his make-up artist is still in training. You seem to be basing your response on one issue, if this is the case, you could not really support Obama as he believes in marraige between a man and a woman.

Nita

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM

232 posts, read 221,302 times
I wish he would have forgone mentioning specific religions. He sounded more religious than I've seen him before and that type of thing is a HUGE turn off for the non-religious electorate.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM

589 posts, read 376,705 times
Quote:

Honestly I don't care about gays or abortions, so whatever their position on the subject I'll vote for the best economically.
Romney and Pawlenty were my favorites in the debates, I like the 5% growth goal of Pawlenty, and Romney was concrete, no populist !

Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
He's the only Republican candidate who refuses to overturn marriage laws in the states,
Not true - Michele Bachmann stated clearly that she would not interfere in state laws on gay marriage.

Quote:
and the only one who thinks the government should have NO business with marriage whatsoever.
This is true, but then again, can someone explain to me how the President of the United States can suddenly make changes to the tax code magically without Congress?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Not true - Michele Bachmann stated clearly that she would not interfere in state laws on gay marriage.
Except, she then proceeded to say but she would support a constitutional amendment to clarify marriage.

She contradicted herself in about 30 seconds on the issue.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
He was definitely the most reasonable sounding (once you got past the whole Mr Burns thing) and he was one of the only ones who actually ANSWERED THE QUESTION instead of uselessly ranting about Obama's failed leadership.

Hey, clue to you candidates...we're not that stupid...you can't just distract us from the question by irrelevantly ranting about trillions of dollars.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Ron Paul was the only one who answered the questions directly without tooting his horn. Second, I liked Cain, then it's a toss-up between M. Bachmann and Gingrich.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
I wish he would have forgone mentioning specific religions. He sounded more religious than I've seen him before and that type of thing is a HUGE turn off for the non-religious electorate.
I agree.
Between the 'Go, Christians!' ranting and the 'We hate Muslims!' ranting, they all sounded like a bunch of embarrassing, provincial, bigoted hicks.

This would have been a GREAT opportunity for someone to seriously boost their popularity by attempting to sound like a reasonable person instead of a right wing lunatic. Any one of them could have jumped in, said, "I disagree with this unsophisticated rhetoric" and won major bonus points on both sides of the aisle.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Ron Paul easily won. He tells it like it is-- no dumbing down for the American people!

Also, he is a very religious person. But he will not legislate in this manner. He believes religion should be up to an individual to decide, and that the government should not interfere in a person's displays of religion. Thus non-religious people should not worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections