Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I see. So what you are saying is vote for Perry if you don't care about health, education, poverty, the environment, public spending per citizen, number of high school graduates, poverty and hunger among children.

He may get the asshat vote.
Like we said...when you're overrun with illegals, those stats get totally skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Ahahaha he's so good
For what?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
That's a cool poster of Perry- I didn't know he was a member of the "Village People"!

Texas ranks near the bottom in every "quality of life" catagory: health, education, poverty, the environment, public spending per citizen, number of high school graduates, poverty and hunger among children. You name it.

I don't care how many temporary minimum wage jobs the current boom is creating. It's not sustainable. All those folks moving there for jobs are used to living in a civilized society. As soon as it's economically feasable, they'll move out again. Boom-bust, boom-bust. Texas' combination of rapid growth and lackadasical government are going to lead to HUGE problems in the next ten years. At the rate you're going, you are going to wind up a third-world state- skyscrapers and mud huts.

You could use a few more "libruls" to help you get a handle on this stuff, rather than chase them all away!

That's a pretty lousy record for Perry to run on- "Vote for me and I'll do for the US what I did to Texas". Ummmm, no thanks!

http://www.theeagle.com/politics/Report-calls-quality-of-life-in-Texas--abysmal (broken link)-
Obviously, you don't spend much time in the Dallas/Houston/Austin/San Antonio forums populated with inquiries from well paid executives or their spouses planning a transfer to Texas. Must be that quality of life and mud-huts, eh?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM

589 posts, read 376,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For what?
to create jobs

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
to create jobs
Uh, I thought the RW mantra was government DOES NOT create jobs?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/14/3152456/story-of-texas-job-growth-not.html (broken link)

From the linked article:

"The notion that Texas' recent performance is due to some unusually favorable business climate is absurd," said James K. Galbraith, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

First, Texas is an energy state, so it benefits from the run-up in oil prices, he said. Then Texas dodged much of the subprime housing bust, so it never lost as many jobs.

When the Dallas Fed reports on "net new jobs," he said, Texas' gains are exaggerated, because other big states lost so many.

Galbraith said the final chapter hasn't been written, either. Austin's budget cuts will eliminate work for thousands of teachers and others in coming months, which has already happened elsewhere.

Last edited by burdell; 06-26-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
That's a cool poster of Perry- I didn't know he was a member of the "Village People"!

Texas ranks near the bottom in every "quality of life" catagory: health, education, poverty, the environment, public spending per citizen, number of high school graduates, poverty and hunger among children. You name it.

I don't care how many temporary minimum wage jobs the current boom is creating. It's not sustainable. All those folks moving there for jobs are used to living in a civilized society. As soon as it's economically feasable, they'll move out again. Boom-bust, boom-bust. Texas' combination of rapid growth and lackadasical government are going to lead to HUGE problems in the next ten years. At the rate you're going, you are going to wind up a third-world state- skyscrapers and mud huts.

You could use a few more "libruls" to help you get a handle on this stuff, rather than chase them all away!

That's a pretty lousy record for Perry to run on- "Vote for me and I'll do for the US what I did to Texas". Ummmm, no thanks!

http://www.theeagle.com/politics/Report-calls-quality-of-life-in-Texas--abysmal (broken link)-
Village People member - lol - maybe all of those rumors are true after all

Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM

589 posts, read 376,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, I thought the RW mantra was government DOES NOT create jobs?

Story of Texas job growth not that simple | Mitchell Schnurman | Dallas Business, Texas ... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/14/3152456/story-of-texas-job-growth-not.html - broken link)

From the linked article:

"The notion that Texas' recent performance is due to some unusually favorable business climate is absurd," said James K. Galbraith, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

First, Texas is an energy state, so it benefits from the run-up in oil prices, he said. Then Texas dodged much of the subprime housing bust, so it never lost as many jobs.

When the Dallas Fed reports on "net new jobs," he said, Texas' gains are exaggerated, because other big states lost so many.

Galbraith said the final chapter hasn't been written, either. Austin's budget cuts will eliminate work for thousands of teachers and others in coming months, which has already happened elsewhere.
Such ignorant post, scaring

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Such ignorant post, scaring
Tell us what exactly Perry did to create any jobs.
Casper

Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Tell us what exactly Perry did to create any jobs.
Casper
To create an environment for the private sector to create jobs you provide certainty rather than uncertainty regarding what the government is going to do next, eliminate onerous regulation, keep their taxes low, not force unionization on them, eliminate frivolous lawsuits, not declare war on the Chamber of Commerce, not issue moratoriums on industries so businesses take their jobs elsewhere, and at the governor level, I'd like to add, you schmooze with them, not treat them like the enemy.

The smartest thing President Obama could have done early in his administration was to head to Texas to see what they were doing right regarding job creation and talking to the Chamber of Commerce not villifying them. But nooooooo, he had to concentrate on Cash for Clunkers, Obamacare, Cap and Trade, refereeing a dispute between a cop and a professor, and bailing out and running General Motors to make his union donors happy. The American Public told him right from the get-go that jobs were important and he didn't listen. He just pushed his own agenda.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
To create an environment for the private sector to create jobs you provide certainty rather than uncertainty regarding what the government is going to do next, eliminate onerous regulation, keep their taxes low, not force unionization on them, eliminate frivolous lawsuits, not declare war on the Chamber of Commerce, not issue moratoriums on industries so businesses take their jobs elsewhere, and at the governor level, I'd like to add, you schmooze with them, not treat them like the enemy.

The smartest thing President Obama could have done early in his administration was to head to Texas to see what they were doing right regarding job creation and talking to the Chamber of Commerce not villifying them. But nooooooo, he had to concentrate on Cash for Clunkers, Obamacare, Cap and Trade, refereeing a dispute between a cop and a professor, and bailing out and running General Motors to make his union donors happy. The American Public told him right from the get-go that jobs were important and he didn't listen. He just pushed his own agenda.
All the things you mentoned were in place before Perry, loooong before Perry. I will admit he is good a schmoozing, but then again that has to do with being bought.
Yes, the President and the Nation could learn a few things from Texas, but on certain subjets Texas could use a few lessons also, thing is, where Texas is doing things right it has little to do with anything Perry has done.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections