Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times

Advertisements

If you could pick a candidate to lead a third party in a run for the presidency in 2012, who would it be? In order to win, I would think it would need to be somebody who is respected nationally, at least somewhat charismatic, and able to generate donations.

They would probably have to be seen as somewhat independent - I think somebody who is closely tied to either the D's or the R's would likely just draw votes from that party in a general election.

In the last election cycle, I was hoping McCain would have changed from Republican to Independent after the 2006 elections and run as an independent or third party candidate, mainly because I didn't believe he'd ever get the Republican nomination, which tells you how much I know. But I think he would have been a stronger candidate as an independent than he was as a Republican.

This time, I don't have any idea who that person would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
I don't like him, but Michael Bloomberg, the Tsar of NYC. He's a former republican, and a former Democrat.

He was my mayor from 2002- 2004 (moved to PA) and than 2005-2008 (moved to NC), he sucks but he'd be a very successful third party candidate who'd draw the Moderate hero vote.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
third parties get the worse and most unpopular elected.

The two cancel each other out and a guy with the worse policy idea gets put into office.

A third party conservative is exactly what Obama needs to win this coming election.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If you could pick a candidate to lead a third party in a run for the presidency in 2012, who would it be? In order to win, I would think it would need to be somebody who is respected nationally, at least somewhat charismatic, and able to generate donations.

They would probably have to be seen as somewhat independent - I think somebody who is closely tied to either the D's or the R's would likely just draw votes from that party in a general election.

In the last election cycle, I was hoping McCain would have changed from Republican to Independent after the 2006 elections and run as an independent or third party candidate, mainly because I didn't believe he'd ever get the Republican nomination, which tells you how much I know. But I think he would have been a stronger candidate as an independent than he was as a Republican.

This nation needs a third Party, my guess is they are about to get a third and a fourth Party. The GOP is get set for a break between the Old Guard and the Tea Party bunch, and there are plenty of Moderates that would love to see a Party formed that represents the vast numbers of Americans that do not feel the Demos are doing things right and cannot support the GOP or Tea Party. Problem for all is these new Parties must start at the local and State level before setting their aim on Washingtoon or the Whitehouse, the Tea Party has made some gains at that level but not enough to be a major threat to either Party. Keep in mind that the two major Parties will continue to fight and new Parties being formed tooth and nail, for them it is bad for business. We shall see what happens, I think it is coming sooner than most would believe. As for Who will lead those Parrties, I have no idea, in reality I doubt it matters too much since it wil take time for any new Party to gain enough power at the grassroots level before looking at gaining real control of our government.
Casper

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
This nation needs a third Party, my guess is they are about to get a third and a fourth Party. The GOP is get set for a break between the Old Guard and the Tea Party bunch, and there are plenty of Moderates that would love to see a Party formed that represents the vast numbers of Americans that do not feel the Demos are doing things right and cannot support the GOP or Tea Party. Problem for all is these new Parties must start at the local and State level before setting their aim on Washingtoon or the Whitehouse, the Tea Party has made some gains at that level but not enough to be a major threat to either Party. Keep in mind that the two major Parties will continue to fight and new Parties being formed tooth and nail, for them it is bad for business. We shall see what happens, I think it is coming sooner than most would believe. As for Who will lead those Parrties, I have no idea, in reality I doubt it matters too much since it wil take time for any new Party to gain enough power at the grassroots level before looking at gaining real control of our government.
Casper
I think we are heading for a 3rd party but it is still at least 20, maybe 30 years away. I say 20 or 30 years for electing a Pres, sooner for many offices as we saw in 2010. The two parties I see emerging will be the Tea Party (which right not is not a party) and the Libertarian Party.

Nita

Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we are heading for a 3rd party but it is still at least 20, maybe 30 years away. I say 20 or 30 years for electing a Pres, sooner for many offices as we saw in 2010. The two parties I see emerging will be the Tea Party (which right not is not a party) and the Libertarian Party.

Nita
The Tea Party and GOP cannot exist under the same roof for much longer and I think the split will happen in the next couple of years at most. They (TP) already have a local and state level base which is the begining. Libertarians have been trying for years, and while in some areas they look good they also attract far too many groups that are one agenda groups that when viewed by typical American voters come across as nutjobs, I doubt they have any major role in American politics other than to play spoiler.
I keep waiting for a Common Sense Party, only THEN I will consider joining a Political Party.
Casper

Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The Tea Party and GOP cannot exist under the same roof for much longer and I think the split will happen in the next couple of years at most. They (TP) already have a local and state level base which is the begining. Libertarians have been trying for years, and while in some areas they look good they also attract far too many groups that are one agenda groups that when viewed by typical American voters come across as nutjobs, I doubt they have any major role in American politics other than to play spoiler.
I keep waiting for a Common Sense Party, only THEN I will consider joining a Political Party.
Casper
You and me both Casper. Both parties are completely full of crap and the Tea Party hasn't quite figured out what they are yet.

Need automatic runoffs in ALL elections or any third party dies QUICKLY. People need to be able to vote for the person they believe in without worrying that they're giving away the election to candidates they like least.

I do like the fact that the Tea Party sprang into existence practically overnight. It offers some hope that the Common Sense Party can do the same at some point.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 PM

865 posts, read 676,241 times
We could also witness the collapse of a two party system as a whole, and no longer see political parties in general.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

Right now the "third party" teaBAGGERS are bringing down the US !

Being "third" doesn't mean good or intelligent.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
There are no nationally serving politicians with a -TP after their name, only -D's, -R's and a couple of -I's. The tea party is not a third party, but a faction of the republican party. However - if they were to break away and form their own party, the republicans might be in a position to claim the moderate middle ground and pick up a lot of independents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections