Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,915,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If he is out of whack with the majority of Americans you have nothing to worry about: as for winning Florida, I think you should pay more attention to what usually happens in Florida and the minorities there; say Cubins?
Using the word extreme hatred of gay marriage is pretty stong; what are you basing that on? Let's face it, you don't like him, you really don't know a heck of a lot about him, but you sure have your opinion, which you have a right to of course.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth or do you realize that: first you say he won't win and second you say it is unconstitutional; that is what we are asking you to explain. Of course it probably doesn't make much difference what you think or who you vote for: if you live in Ca the state will stay blue so what difference does it make. I feel so sorry for so many, in Ca that have to live with the libs.

You mention Mitt Romney, he probably can not get the nomination and he would not win if he did; of chances are he would not. Chris Chistie wants to spend time with his family, so that isn't an option. If you followed politics you would know that.

Nita

Nita
I don't think he would get the Cuban vote. Most of them are immigrants or children of immigrants plus socially liberal, while happening to be fiscally conservative.

Next, perhaps you should watch the news or read a magazine and see Rick Perry's comments about gays and lesbians. His comments show extreme hatred of gays and lesbians.

Rick Perry has also associated with several anti Catholic and anti Semitic individuals. While this does not mean he holds those views, it's inference just like Obama with Reverand Wright cost him votes.

Rick Perry obviously has the right to choose which religion he practices and can practice it openly. However, a governor of a state cannot specifically endorse a religion on state time. This is where the line blurred this weekend. As a Governor on state time, he endorsed Christianity as the state religion at that event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Default Rick Perry to announce

Just on Politico: it looks like he is going to announce on Saturday in So Carolina...I don't know if any others have posted this yet.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I don't think he would get the Cuban vote. Most of them are immigrants or children of immigrants plus socially liberal, while happening to be fiscally conservative.

Next, perhaps you should watch the news or read a magazine and see Rick Perry's comments about gays and lesbians. His comments show extreme hatred of gays and lesbians.

Rick Perry has also associated with several anti Catholic and anti Semitic individuals. While this does not mean he holds those views, it's inference just like Obama with Reverand Wright cost him votes.

Rick Perry obviously has the right to choose which religion he practices and can practice it openly. However, a governor of a state cannot specifically endorse a religion on state time. This is where the line blurred this weekend. As a Governor on state time, he endorsed Christianity as the state religion at that event.
Florida Cubans socially liberal: that is how Rubio got elected and the governor? I think you are the one that needs to read more? I don't know what magazines you are reading that would give you the ideas you are coming up with. Have you tried to read a variety of magazines and watch a variety of TV news or how about newspapers? Do you read more than one?

You have no idea how where I get my information, but I can bet I get it from a broader base than you..

BTW, how do you think he endorsed a religion and what makes you think it was on public time? Again, this shows how little you know about the system.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 08-09-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,353,620 times
I bet he's hoping to get some write-in at the Straw Poll that day. Probably good timing to annouce.

I personally am not sold on the guy, but haven't looked at him that hard either.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I have a theory about why he has waited and it isn't political like everyone thinks nor is it about ability to raise funds decision-making. I think he did not know what to expect with the back surgery he had. I think he is waiting to announce until after the Fox debate because he didn't know if he would be able to stand still that long, in one place on the stage, that soon after surgery. (I know I couldn't which is why I don't go to events where I'd have to stand through them.) If he announced prior to the Fox debate but then didn't participate, it would look bad like he wasn't capable of debating. I understand he only spoke for about 15 minutes at Reliant stadium. All other speaking things since the surgery are not him standing still an hour long. Again, just a theory.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,353,620 times
Quote:

(per bolded)
He did?!?!? Explain...please.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I bet he's hoping to get some write-in at the Straw Poll that day. Probably good timing to annouce.

I personally am not sold on the guy, but haven't looked at him that hard either.
I think he was going to get quite a few write ins anyway or that has been my understanding, but I could have it completely wrong.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have a theory about why he has waited and it isn't political like everyone thinks nor is it about ability to raise funds decision-making. I think he did not know what to expect with the back surgery he had. I think he is waiting to announce until after the Fox debate because he didn't know if he would be able to stand still that long, in one place on the stage, that soon after surgery. (I know I couldn't which is why I don't go to events where I'd have to stand through them.) If he announced prior to the Fox debate but then didn't participate, it would look bad like he wasn't capable of debating. I understand he only spoke for about 15 minutes at Reliant stadium. All other speaking things since the surgery are not him standing still an hour long. Again, just a theory.
Good point: I never thought about it that way.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
I think it will be an erosion of all personal freedoms achieved in the past 50+ years. He is associating with a religious movement that in my opinion is not all that different from what you see in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iran. They basically want a theocracy dictated by religious leaders. While we do allow religious leaders to run for elected office, they cannot skirt the 1st amendment separation of church and state in terms of establishment, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The group Perry has associated with clearly states that they do not believe in the free exercise clause as applied to all Americans equally.

While I am not a true full out liberal (I am fiscally conservative), Perry is just out of whack with most of America. While I have no doubt he will win most of the Southern states, I do not believe he would win Florida with its large minority population which generally decides the outcome of that state.

I also do not believe that Perry can win a state like PA or OH with that religious rhetoric. People look at him like he's insane. Of course in the primary you don't see this because he is pandering to his electorate. His problem will be in the general election. Republicans in PA and OH are not going to vote for someone that epitomizes those social views (extreme anti abortion, extreme hatred of gay marriage, extreme evangelism). This country has never elected a President like that.
Rick Perry has been the Governor of Texas for 11 years. Has he run Texas like a theocracy? You see, when someone actually has a record of governing and is not some community organizer or some candidate with just a basket of ideas who is floating down from Mount Capitol Hill, you know what you are going to get in the White House.

Oh, and about Florida. My money is he wins there because you know who is going to campaign for him there? Rudy Giuliani who owes him.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,922 times
this is the same guy who is giving in state tuition to illegal aliens, bill he signed in 2001.

also was a democrat who flipped to republican when he was going to lose re-election.

buddy buddy with al gore, was campaign advisor.

google trans texas corridor, which is essentially open borders that perry pushed for.

i know hes the in guy because he has nice hair, but do some research on the guy before you start going crazy over him.

this is for all who would consider perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections