Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I think this post sums up this thread.
Pretty much.

THe best way to sum the thread up is "People who actually understand the scientific method (and in some arguments, Supreme Court law)" vs "People who make scientific claims but have no idea what even a scientific theory is"

Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where did he say this?

Looks like you and your kind are out of the mainstream;

Four in 10 Americans Believe in Strict Creationism

78% believe God created humans in present form OR had a hand in guiding.

I'd say Perry is definitely on the right side of the issue.

Amazing, isn't it? In their zeal to zing Perry on something, anything, they damage their credibility at the same time.

Op? You DO know Evolution is a theory, right?
Can't believe there's another thread kicking this dead horse. Scientific theory, as has been pointed out ad nauseum in multiple threads right here on c-d, is not the same as the common definition of a "theory" and anyone who believes that it is, is just plain ignorant. Read for yourself: Theory (Scientific vs layman’s definition) | Thinking Critically

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
The fun fact about Texas and Creationism

A final victory in Texas | NCSE

It's not going to be taught in their public schools
so yeah, sorry but Rick Perry was incorrect

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 AM

16 posts, read 16,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Well we know he'll get the flat earther vote with these comments.

Rick Perry: Evolution is 'theory' with 'gaps'
Perry doesnt understand what a theory is. I betcha in science class he did what some posters do in this thread. The meaning of a scientific theory has been explained in this thread at least 10 times and no one seems to be reading those posts. Let's try again

Pghquest do you understand the meaning of a scientific theory?

Pghquest do you understand what it takes for something to be a theory in science?

Are you gonna keep ignoring the questions you can't answer?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Another theory.

And before you start your typical hate replies, I'm agnostic, therefore I dont believe in creationism, but that doesnt mean evolution isnt a theory as well.

My 10 year old son could tell you its a theory, you dont know that?
You misinterpret what theory means in this case. All science deals with theories, but theories are hypothesized given the evidence that exists. Science just comes up with theories to explain that evidence. In the case of evolution, there is overwhelming supportive evidence, so much so that the vast majority of scientists accept it as established fact. There has never been any major theory that equally is supported by evidence. Creationism is not about evidence, and attempts to provide an answer without asking any questions, the exact opposite of what science does. Creationism has absolutely zero business being compared to evolution, and frankly, as an agnostic you should be appalled at the attempt to equate the two.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
He called it a THEORY of evolution.. It IS a THEORY of evolution, and has been one for over a century.
It is also accepted as established fact by the scientific community and is no longer seriously considered merely a theory by anyone who has actually reviewed the evidence. Perhaps the disconnect here is that you are not really as agnostic as you claim, so you have trouble dismissing the idea of creationism.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I'm an athiest, but I do find holes in evolution.

This video has strong arguments against evolution.

Darwin's Theory - Fruit Flies and Morphology - YouTube
Actually, this isn't really an argument against evolution at all, only that some mutations are not particularly helpful, or even detrimental. This would be like saying that Down's Syndrome in humans is an example of how evolution isn't true.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Where did he say this?

Amazing, isn't it? In their zeal to zing Perry on something, anything, they damage their credibility at the same time.

You do understand logic, right? I would say, based on this post, that you don't. The popularity of a belief has nothing at all to do with the validity of that belief. That's why science deals with physical evidence, and not the emotional blind faith of religion. Creationism is trumped up religion.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
None of this means Perry was wrong. Evolution IS a theory and has been viewed as one for over 100 years. Right off the bat I seen the errors in the OP because they are ridiculing Perry for saying that evolution is a theory and has cracks in it.. Which is is on both counts.
Just because you and Perry share the same confusion on how science works does not mean that evolution is not an accepted reality with overwhelming supportive evidence.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Where did he say this?

How sad.

Your link makes an interesting point:

Americans' views on human origins vary significantly by level of education and religiosity. Those who are less educated are more likely to hold a creationist view. Those with college degrees and postgraduate education are more likely to hold one of the two viewpoints involving evolution.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-19-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections