Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,795,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
This thread is hilarious isn't it?
I think it's more depressing than anything that there are so many willfully ignorant people here. Certainly explains why there is so much liberal/Obama hatred on this board. When people turn their nose down at education, ridiculing people smarter and more in touch with reality then they are is their last resort.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,106,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually you are wrong again. The 1st amendment says the federal government cant establish a religion, it says nothing about taking on religious values, or that states cant establish one. There were numerous state owned and operated churches when the Constitution was written
Numerous USSC cases have established that the government, whether state or federal, cannot use public money in public schools in support of teaching religion, no matter what religion that is. Creationism is religion.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You see? That is your view because you cannot believe in creation. If creation is true, which I believe it is, then evolution can't work for me. So, the Science class is teaching a lie.

Do you see how that can go both ways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That you cannot accept something that actually has physical evidence over something that you must believe only on faith actually says far more about you than it does evolution.
There are lots of scientists that use the education found to support evolution, who use this knowledge to strengthen their belief in creationism.

These scientists would ask how evolution was possible without a "creator" to make it all happen.

Just because one happened, it doesnt mean the other one also didnt. Its not an either/or scenario

Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,405,847 times
Quote:
No its not. There is lots of evidence to support evolution, but NONE to make it a FACT

I'm banging my head here trying to figure out where most of these people went to school and how on gods earth they graduated.
How on earth did YOU graduate? You don't appear to even know what evolution is.

Have you even bothered to read the many posts with explanations of what a Scientific Theory is? It's an explanation of the demonstrable facts and evidence.

For the umpteenth time, any scientist will tell you:
Evolution is fact.
The Theory of Evolution is an explanation of the fact of evolution.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,348,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I can't believe you continue to argue that Evolution is not theory. Amazing the things they DIDN'T teach in school.
Evolution is a SCIENTIFIC theory and when I went to school, the difference between scientific theory and common theory was carefully explained. As a teacher, I carefully explained the difference to my students. Apparently, some on this forum are the victims of an inferior education.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
IT IS NOT. Does someone need to inform you that there are thousands of schools all across this country teaching religious values? The line gets crossed when the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT mandates a certain religion over any other religions.

The Constitution is a limit on the federal government ESTABLISHING a religion, not teaching about it
You do realize that the Constitution and federal law trump state law, right? State laws are not immune to having to follow federal guidelines based ON THE CONSTITUTION. Where do you get this crap?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM

38,070 posts, read 22,230,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Well we know he'll get the flat earther vote with these comments.

Rick Perry: Evolution is 'theory' with 'gaps'
Are we talking about Darwin's theory of evolution? If so, I believe his theory is about evolving species over time, not creating life out of basic elements. I'd say that was a "gap". But even so, his theory takes up a chapter in a book, and that's it.

Quote:
Teaching religious values is not promoting religion

Though shall not kill, didnt they teach you that in school?
Not committing murder does not have to be based on religion. The more you post, the less honest the whole "agnostic" thing sounds given your more than subtle support for all things religious.

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Numerous USSC cases have established that the government, whether state or federal, cannot use public money in public schools in support of teaching religion, no matter what religion that is. Creationism is religion.
They indeed can and do teach the bible in school, provided it taught in a historical or literacy context.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,795,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I never understood why Evolution and Creationism couldn't coincide instead of being opposed to each other.
I'm of the opinion that we did indeed evolve from the sea and then onto the land, as the biologists believe, but that this process was guided by the hand of God, as the Theologians believe.
I think they call this notion "Intelligent Design."

Makes sense to me.
Actually, it's called Theistic Evolution, not Intelligent Design. Most Christians in the world are Theistic Evolutionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections