Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,391,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Another theory.

And before you start your typical hate replies, I'm agnostic, therefore I dont believe in creationism, but that doesnt mean evolution isnt a theory as well.

My 10 year old son could tell you its a theory, you dont know that?
A layman's use of theory and scientific theory is different.
From Theory (Scientific vs layman’s definition) | Thinking Critically

In common usage, the word theory is often used to signify a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation. In this usage, a theory is not necessarily based on facts; in other words, it is not required to be consistent with true descriptions of reality. This usage of theory leads to the common incorrect statement “It’s not a fact, it’s only a theory.” True descriptions of reality are more reflectively understood as statements which would be true independently of what people think about them. In this usage, the word is synonymous with hypothesis.
In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists “theory” and “fact” do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton’s theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and general relativity.
The defining characteristic of a scientific theory is that it makes falsifiable or testable predictions about things not yet observed. The relevance, and specificity of those predictions determine how (potentially) useful the theory is. A would-be theory which makes no predictions which can be observed is not a useful theory. Predictions which are not sufficiently specific to be tested are similarly not useful. In both cases, the term ‘theory’ is inapplicable.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,494,272 times
Only "almighty Gawd" could be responsible for the packaging:

Kirk Cameron And Bananas - YouTube

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Why are you implying that he only stated that is was a theory and never endorsed creationism?
They are BOTH theories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
WTF??
And what one did Perry SAY was right? HE DIDNT

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
So, you can put forth your strong opinion, but Rick Perry is not allowed to voice his?
Where did I say that he could not?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:

And what one did Perry SAY was right? HE DIDNT
Always disingenuous. Do you honestly believe he doesn't believe one to be the truth? I'm sure when he held his prayer rally that he asked god to provide him with a final answer...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
A layman's use of theory and scientific theory is different.
From Theory (Scientific vs layman’s definition) | Thinking Critically

In common usage, the word theory is often used to signify a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation. In this usage, a theory is not necessarily based on facts; in other words, it is not required to be consistent with true descriptions of reality. This usage of theory leads to the common incorrect statement “It’s not a fact, it’s only a theory.” True descriptions of reality are more reflectively understood as statements which would be true independently of what people think about them. In this usage, the word is synonymous with hypothesis.
In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists “theory” and “fact” do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton’s theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and general relativity.
The defining characteristic of a scientific theory is that it makes falsifiable or testable predictions about things not yet observed. The relevance, and specificity of those predictions determine how (potentially) useful the theory is. A would-be theory which makes no predictions which can be observed is not a useful theory. Predictions which are not sufficiently specific to be tested are similarly not useful. In both cases, the term ‘theory’ is inapplicable.
None of this means Perry was wrong. Evolution IS a theory and has been viewed as one for over 100 years. Right off the bat I seen the errors in the OP because they are ridiculing Perry for saying that evolution is a theory and has cracks in it.. Which is is on both counts.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,855,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Where did I say that he could not?
Sorry, I was responding to the wrong post. I deleted my original post.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Always disingenuous. Do you honestly believe he doesn't believe one to be the truth? I'm sure when he held his prayer rally that he asked god to provide him with a final answer...
I dont particularly care if he believes the theory in creationist, it doesnt matter, nor should he be criticizied for it. They are called THEORIES for a reason.

Tell me SLCPUNK, why do you hate people who are religious so much? For being a liberal, you seem to be very intolerant of others with different viewpoints.

16,431 posts, read 22,244,079 times
I voted against Perry for governor because he's not as tough on border issues as Friedman, but I'm starting to like him against Obama.

Evolution and Intelligent Design should both be taught as unproven contemporary theories.

11,531 posts, read 10,314,335 times
Quote:
None of this means Perry was wrong. Evolution IS a theory and has been viewed as one for over 100 years. Right off the bat I seen the errors in the OP because they are ridiculing Perry for saying that evolution is a theory and has cracks in it.. Which is is on both counts.
Your playing semantics. Perry mentioned evolution being a theory with cracks in it during a discussion of creationism versus evolution.

Anyone with a half a brain knows what he was saying. Why didn't he state that creationism is a theory full of holes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.