Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,905,793 times

Advertisements

I am only giving friendly advice and my advice is this: The Republican Party has got to moderate if it is going to be around 10 years from now. If it fails to do so, it will throw away any chance it will ever have of being more than a regional (southeast) party. It will never cobble together enough electoral college votes to capture the Presidency again. I say this as a witness to what happened here. Most people here do not like Harry Reid. He does not represent the views of many Nevadans. His own son Rory ran for Governor here and would not even use his dad's last name. And he still got stomped! The only reason we are stuck with Harry for 6 more years is because the Republicans nominated a candidate that was clearly out of the main stream and way to the right on everything. I could not and will not vote for candidates like Sharron Angle. It appears the Republican Party has not figured out where most of the country is. This is a center right country. It is not a far right country. And if they continue down that path, they are not going to win. On issue after issue whether it is "no tax increases ever", immigration, unions, abortion, the budget and everything else, the GOP is taking extreme positions and the country is simply getting tired of it which is evident in polling. Most people in this country tend to be moderate in their political beliefs. Conservatism does not win anymore than extreme liberalism wins. As I look at the Republican candidates, I see only 2 of the bunch that has a prayer of electoral victory which are Romney and Huntsman. The GOP must decide if it wants to be a conservative minority party or if it wants to win as a moderate party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Romney is part of the problem with the Republican party. He's a neo-con.

I'm a Republican and I'm tired of the crap contenders running for the nomination. With one exception and he is scaring the pants off of a lot of hard right wingers to the point that all they can do is insult the man, never have a quality debate.

Ron Paul IS the answer but, as much as I would like him to win, I fear there's not enough who get it.

What will happen is either he will win the primary and we can do this or Romney will win it and Paul will run as a third party, thereby splitting the vote, thereby allowing Obama to win, again. OR, he'll sit out and we are stuck with Obama Lite. Romney is not representative of the Republican party, he's just another shill.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,197,545 times
When every white person currently over the age of 50 is dead the GOP for all intents and purposes won't exist either way, regardless of whether or not they try to moderate their approach. But by that point the Democrats will be about as far right as the Republican party currently is.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times
Hey look on the bright side... with a Republican Party that insists only a manifest screaming head idiot -- preferably one with a talk radio or reality television background -- will do as a candidate, that leaves the Democratic Party open to nominate only the most extreme far left lefties. There's no reason to try to nominate someone with mass appeal when you know that the Republicans are going to run a clownish, know-nothing fool who is more informed about witchcraft than the current issues. You might as well nominate the guy or gal you really want, right? It's like being Coca Cola and Pepsi decides to start making its soda taste more like burning rubber and s***. At that point, you pretty much can't lose.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,313,396 times
Amen 110%!!! I posted a thread asking Republicans if they have ever considered that the majority just doesn't agree with them! Apparently too many Republicans got their panties in a wad and the thread was closed.

But you are totally correct. Problem is, what we are seeing is a result of 2 decades of the talk-radio and Faux News propaganda machines. Two decades of people hearing Rush tell them its us vs. them, Hannity telling them conservatism is 1000% right and anything less than their of the corporation/by the corporation/for the corporation version of the free-market is absolutely wrong and needs to be destroyed! Combine this with the rise of the religious right and you have this bizarro mongloid movement that morphed into the tea-party.

Where they use gays as their socially unifying issue...All gays must be stopped, they are the scourge of the earth and are responsible for all that has gone wrong in society.

And they use taxes as there other unifying issue...They have painted this picture that America full of lazy, do-nothing people that pay no taxes and do little to contribute to society. The vast majority of the heavy lifting is done by the very privielege few at the top. They paint this picture those few at the top only got there because they work harder than everyone else, and if only the rest of us worked so hard we could get there too, the only reason we aren't there now, is because we are either deadbeat democrats who just want a handout, or we are the enlightened few on their side and its the government's fault we can't reach that status. So to enable those of us who listen to talk-radio, join the tea-party, etc., reach this status, we just need to do away with the scum looking for gov't handouts and do away with all regulations and taxes. Then like Utopia, all of us will just work hard and have it made!

It truely is bizarre how this has played out. Especially when you consider the majority of the talk-radio/tea-party crowd are the very people who have been most screwed by this hardcore shift to the extreme right by the Republican party.

Oh well, they don't get it and I don't think they will anytime soon! They just hunker down and get even crazier...like a rabid racoon or something. They are definately putting the final nails into the coffin of the Republican party

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Amen 110%!!! I posted a thread asking Republicans if they have ever considered that the majority just doesn't agree with them!
This is when they trot out the old "it's a Republic, not a democracy" line -- which they ignorantly interpret to mean that when the majority doesn't agree with them, the founding fathers clearly intended, them, the minority, to be able to dictate to the rest of America. Got to love Republicans.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,905,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Amen 110%!!! I posted a thread asking Republicans if they have ever considered that the majority just doesn't agree with them! Apparently too many Republicans got their panties in a wad and the thread was closed.

But you are totally correct. Problem is, what we are seeing is a result of 2 decades of the talk-radio and Faux News propaganda machines. Two decades of people hearing Rush tell them its us vs. them, Hannity telling them conservatism is 1000% right and anything less than their of the corporation/by the corporation/for the corporation version of the free-market is absolutely wrong and needs to be destroyed! Combine this with the rise of the religious right and you have this bizarro mongloid movement that morphed into the tea-party.

Where they use gays as their socially unifying issue...All gays must be stopped, they are the scourge of the earth and are responsible for all that has gone wrong in society.

And they use taxes as there other unifying issue...They have painted this picture that America full of lazy, do-nothing people that pay no taxes and do little to contribute to society. The vast majority of the heavy lifting is done by the very privielege few at the top. They paint this picture those few at the top only got there because they work harder than everyone else, and if only the rest of us worked so hard we could get there too, the only reason we aren't there now, is because we are either deadbeat democrats who just want a handout, or we are the enlightened few on their side and its the government's fault we can't reach that status. So to enable those of us who listen to talk-radio, join the tea-party, etc., reach this status, we just need to do away with the scum looking for gov't handouts and do away with all regulations and taxes. Then like Utopia, all of us will just work hard and have it made!

It truely is bizarre how this has played out. Especially when you consider the majority of the talk-radio/tea-party crowd are the very people who have been most screwed by this hardcore shift to the extreme right by the Republican party.

Oh well, they don't get it and I don't think they will anytime soon! They just hunker down and get even crazier...like a rabid racoon or something. They are definately putting the final nails into the coffin of the Republican party
What is really bothering me is the thing I saw on 60 Minutes. Either they are going to do what Hannity and Norquist tell them or they are going to try to work through the nation's issues in an intelligent way they way Republicans like Nixon, Rockefeller and Eisenhower used to do. If I were running for office, I would dare that clown to stick his "no tax pledge form" in my face. I would tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine- even here in the desert! The fact that this guy, never elected to any office by any voter, can call the Republican Congressmen into his office like a Principal calls a school child into his office and scolds them into signing a pledge to him is bothering.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,229 times
Any one of the republican candidates will be better than Obama. He is a far left president that will lose by 5% of the popular vote and 80 electoral votes. You looney libs may want to save this post and put it on your refrigerator.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
What is really bothering me is the thing I saw on 60 Minutes. Either they are going to do what Hannity and Norquist tell them or they are going to try to work through the nation's issues in an intelligent way they way Republicans like Nixon, Rockefeller and Eisenhower used to do. If I were running for office, I would dare that clown to stick his "no tax pledge form" in my face. I would tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine- even here in the desert! The fact that this guy, never elected to any office by any voter, can call the Republican Congressmen into his office like a Principal calls a school child into his office and scolds them into signing a pledge to him is bothering.
Yeah its just so messed up. And i really dont like it at all! I could care less about a stupid political party or idealogy. Every 'ideology' has its good and bad, the scariest thing about an 'idealogy' are the people who are so brain-washed that they believe their 'idealogy' to be an absolute and all others/else are wrong.

Its like a sports team. The best teams might have a strong coach/leader who implements his 'philosophy' but they are always willing to bend/change that if it isn't working. The coaches that run things like a little tyrant/dictator, they and there 'idealogy' ALWAYS FAIL!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Any one of the republican candidates will be better than Obama. He is a far left president that will lose by 5% of the popular vote and 80 electoral votes. You looney libs may want to save this post and put it on your refrigerator.
Typical sheeple...Have ZERO to contribute other than to try to fan flames. Go back to listening to talk-radio, you have nothing to contribute here, don't worry your people will become a useless minority SOON
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections