Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM

791 posts, read 460,900 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the word 'electability' seems to carry a lot of weight with Republican primary voters, and they like to claim that Dr. Ron Paul has none. I realize this has become 'conventional wisdom', but if history is any guide, conventional wisdom is seldom very wise. I'd just like to give my thoughts on the matter.

Most Republicans have stated that they will vote for whoever gets the nomination, because they MUST defeat Obama come November. Ron Paul supporters, on the other hand, have made it clear that unless Paul is the nominee, they'll be voting for a 3rd party candidate, writing in Ron Paul, or skipping the whole thing completely. As you know from my posts, I happen to belong to that group. Many Republican strategists have come to the realization that no Republican candidate can win in November without the support of the Ron Paul people, as has been evidenced by their pronunciations over the last few weeks. This leaves the Republican party in a quandary. Do they nominate someone who will NOT get the support they need to win in November, or do they nominate the ONLY candidate who can garner ALL the votes it will take to unseat Obama?

Many people here on C-D have advised the Ron Paul supporters to give up on Paul because he's 'unelectable'. My advice to them is this... If you want to get rid of Obama you'd better get behind Ron Paul, because without him you CAN'T WIN.

THINK about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
You can't blackmail voters into supporting a candidate. Actually, I am beginning to think that the Republican Party is so divided right now, I am not sure any of the canididates, when nominated can win.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You can't blackmail voters into supporting a candidate. Actually, I am beginning to think that the Republican Party is so divided right now, I am not sure any of the canididates, when nominated can win.

Actually if you know it or not McCain lost because of Ron Paul :-)
In 2008 do you think we voted for McCain. Think about it and remember our constitututional princples and vote accordingly. The Ron Paul people are just holding republicans to the fire on what small government really is its not our fault republicans love big government and fox news propoganda.
IF the est. put up someone with a RECORD of limited government, didnt support tarp bailouts and lobbying for global warming, romney care and prescription drug programs and the printing press of the FED MAYBE you wont have to worry about Ron Paul people.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
That is my point exactly, if you want one that CAN win, you want Ron Paul!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
You can't blackmail voters into supporting a candidate.
I don't see anyone trying to blackmail anybody here. I see some very good points regarding the "electability" of the candidates.

The fact is, there are more registered Democrats than registered Republicans. So if it comes down to a straight R vs D election, the D's are guaranteed the win.

So if the Republican party - namely, the ABO crowd - wants to have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the election in November, they need to field a candidate that will have appeal beyond the party faithful. Only one of the four candidates is likely to appeal enough to the independent and third-party voters that the 'Pubs need to pull off this election; but at this point most of the partisans are being swayed by the pretty face.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
The country is not going to elect an 80 year old president. The job is too stressfull for a man of Paul's age.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The country is not going to elect an 80 year old president. The job is too stressfull for a man of Paul's age.
He won't be 80 until he's RE-elected, and he's probably healthier than YOU are...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 PM

308 posts, read 517,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Actually if you know it or not McCain lost because of Ron Paul :-)
In 2008 do you think we voted for McCain. Think about it and remember our constitututional princples and vote accordingly. The Ron Paul people are just holding republicans to the fire on what small government really is its not our fault republicans love big government and fox news propoganda.
IF the est. put up someone with a RECORD of limited government, didnt support tarp bailouts and lobbying for global warming, romney care and prescription drug programs and the printing press of the FED MAYBE you wont have to worry about Ron Paul people.
Are there 10 million Paul voters out there? Or rather, did nearly 10 million stay home and not vote? McCain lost by just under 10 million. Barr received ~500,000 votes. So, if every Paul/Barr supporter voted would it be that high?

I ask honestly. Of course, this does not take into account the electoral college and how states may have shifted (I do not have the capability to do that research and make it worth my while ) but on a purely popular vote standard I would be surprised if there were that many Paul supporters out there.

Again, I ask honestly and please inform me because I am ignorant to the numbers.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post

He certainly would be in the same boat if nominated. He wouldn't carry as much of the vote actually. I have nothing against Dr. Paul but his views are extreme to many voters.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't see anyone trying to blackmail anybody here. I see some very good points regarding the "electability" of the candidates.

The fact is, there are more registered Democrats than registered Republicans. So if it comes down to a straight R vs D election, the D's are guaranteed the win.

So if the Republican party - namely, the ABO crowd - wants to have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the election in November, they need to field a candidate that will have appeal beyond the party faithful. Only one of the four candidates is likely to appeal enough to the independent and third-party voters that the 'Pubs need to pull off this election; but at this point most of the partisans are being swayed by the pretty face.

Its the same tactic the Tea Party uses, we won't vote for your candidate it we don't get our way! It is trying to 'blackmail' for lack of a better word the voters to your way of thinking. This is the problem in the Republican party right now. It does not lend itself to winning a general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections