Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I do not care about ones sexual orientation.

Is he/she able to do the job? Is he/she competent? Honest?
Why do you make it so tough for someone to become president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Why do you make it so tough for someone to become president?

LMAO... Ain't that the truth.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM

555 posts, read 877,248 times
We have already had a gay presidential candidate - Ralph Nader.

Condi Rice is hoping for a VP slot.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Obviously not. But your question was simple, would the US ever have a gay president and it appears yes.. even before Finland! And it appears that quite a few knew.
Good for you!

Techically Finland possible had a "lesbian" queen when Sweden was taken over Finland. Swedish queen, Kristiina 1626-1689 lived with a woman called Ebba Sparre ( Aamulehti and Kuningatar Kristiina - MTV3.fi - Helmi - Kuudes aisti ) . Well what she did with Ebba and was it physical or platonic relationship is not my business, there is also asexual lesbians was she or not, anyone knows?

But I rather wanted to know how people would take a gay president on today's world when that person is openly gay. CD has also people from other countries so I left country open, this question is for everyone, not just to US. But when you want to point finger that I do not know history of world's presidents, that is exactly the truth . There is lot of countries in the world and everyone has shorter or longer history and I am more than happy to not know all that. I am just interested to know how people feel about it now.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
What you would think about a gay president?

We have elections today in Finland and one of them is gay. Would you think that would be a problem in your own country or in presidents international work? How other countries would take a gay president? Or is it any matter? Would anyone care about it after all?
According to the odds, the United States has already had at least one gay President in it's past. The citizens just didn't know about it.
There was once a time here when sexual preferences weren't a big deal, and I'm sure that in the future, there will be similar times to come.

Conflict is a part of human nature. Since the United States is a nation made of those who left many other nations to come here, I think that we tend to fight over things because we are largely made up of those who won or lost some other fight somewhere else in the world.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
How about a serial cheater?

But, yeah, I look forward to the day we have a qualified gay atheist in the White House. Maybe a Hispanic lesbian atheist?

I have to admit, that when I've thought about having a gay president from time to time, I had never thought about the partner/spouse aspect of it. That could certainly prove interesting.
We have had unmarried Presidents in the past. As I recall, one of them had a relative who served as First Lady in White House functions.

If a married President was widowed in office, who would become First Lady then?

One of their grown female children, a sister-in-law or a sister, or some other immediate relative should be able to do the job just fine, I would think. And that lady would not have to live in the White House to do it; all that would be necessary is she would have to live close by as a practicality.

The First Lady's job has expanded over the years. I don't think any President, no matter what the circumstances may be, could do without a woman to do that job.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
I even predict we will have an atheist president in the near future.
I think we may have one now.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
What are you saying, mittens is gay?
Santorum most likely is.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
How about a serial cheater?

But, yeah, I look forward to the day we have a qualified gay atheist in the White House. Maybe a Hispanic lesbian atheist?

I have to admit, that when I've thought about having a gay president from time to time, I had never thought about the partner/spouse aspect of it. That could certainly prove interesting.
I'm hoping for a gay Jew. Hey, maybe I should run!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We have had unmarried Presidents in the past. As I recall, one of them had a relative who served as First Lady in White House functions.

If a married President was widowed in office, who would become First Lady then?

One of their grown female children, a sister-in-law or a sister, or some other immediate relative should be able to do the job just fine, I would think. And that lady would not have to live in the White House to do it; all that would be necessary is she would have to live close by as a practicality.

The First Lady's job has expanded over the years. I don't think any President, no matter what the circumstances may be, could do without a woman to do that job.
You're absolutely right! James Buchanan was single (and rumored to be gay); his attractive niece, Harriet Lane, served as White House hostess. That's all that was needed back then - a hostess to preside over parties and White House functions. Martin Van Buren and Chester A. Arthur were widowers, (Van Buren's daughter-in-law served as hostess) and some Presidents had wives who were "invalids" - Ida McKinley, who was epileptic, and Ellen Taft, who had a stroke - were unable to serve as First Ladies. Mrs. Taft really got cheated - it is claimed she wanted to be First Lady more than her husband wanted to be President.

John Tyler (who was widowed while President) and Grover Cleveland married while in the White House (both married women young enough to be their daughters). Woodrow Wilson also remarried after the first Mrs. Wilson died. He made a good choice of First Lady, too - it is said the second Mrs. Wilson practically took over the job of President after Woodrow Wilson had his stroke.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-23-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections