Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Oprah supporting Obama means nothing to me. Like james203, Oprah annoys me, and Obama is not the president we need right now. Hillary Clinton gets my vote. She's one of the MOST intelligent people in America; she's credible, competent, has authority, common sense, and if we elect her, we get Bill back in the White House, too. I firmly believe Hillary will restore the U.S.'s reputation around the world, and Bill's advice can't hurt. I remember how much better off my family was during the Clinton administration. It's been years of Hell since then. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Oh, and to all who say she's cold, calculating, not a good public speaker, etc., etc., etc.---Why are you so afraid of an intelligent, self-assured woman? These questions would not be raised about a man.)
I agree that Hillary is very intellegent and capable leader. I doubt if I will vote for her cause I'm republican. I won't rule it out though. I will choose the best candidte that will best solve our economic and political crisis. Figures Oprah in her ivory tower would endorse Obama. He's a mess. He often gets his facts wrong. Like the tornado that hit Greensburg KS and he was quoted as saying the death toll was 10,000. He said he was tired and that is why he quoted the wrong numbers. Well as president, what kind of blunders are going to occur becasue he is "tired". Talk is so cheap. Misrepresenting the truth to gain points in politics is not the character of a good leader. Boy, we don't need another president like that now do we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
^ that is so non sensical, misquoting a death toll is not the same as lying about WMDs and imminent threats to our nation.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Why is Oprah supporting Obama? Because Obama is half-black, and may be the first half-black president of the United States if he gets elected.

I think that's pretty much a safe bet. A lot of the rich black celebrities are endorsing Obama.

But, because Oprah didn't come out to support Kerry in 04 (and obviously, if she's supporting Obama, she's either a Dem or clearly voting down racial lines), back when it was MOST IMPORTANT... I'm gonna have to pass on considering "who Oprah is endorsing" in my own calculation of who to vote for.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I am going to go out on a limb here. I hope I'm not giving the soccer moms too much credit, but I think that those (men) who think that just because Oprah endorses someone, that millions of women who watch her show will fall in line as if in some kind of trance are sadly mistaken. I think Barack Obama has a lot going for him, and the Dems could do worse, but Oprah only likes to surround herself with other successful black people. The fact that she supports him has more to do with his race than anything else.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Hillary will select Obama as her vice presidential running mate.

Everyone in the Oprah club gets to go home happy.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Lmao.......Oprah supports him probably because he's not full of crap like the rest of the candidate pool. It sounds like everybody stuck on color and she's stuck on politics.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Even if race is a factor in her support, is it really any surprise? If a Chinese candidate was running, he would be the king of all Chinatowns across the US. Same thing if there was a Hispanic candidate. All of those illegal aliens would become legal in record numbers just to hit up the voting booths.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
I hate to say this guys.....please don't label me a racist...but...Oprah has not voted since the early 1980s (I may be wrong on this, I need to double check) and NOW she decides to vote? I'm guessing she's only voting cuz he's black.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Oprah has the right to support anyone she wants for president. I like Oprah, I respect her and her opinions. However, it does not mean that me or anyone else has to agree with her or support Obama. Oprah is one vote. I say good for Oprah for being brave, taking a stand and using her voice to demonstate what is great about the American democratic process. Everyone has a say so via his or her vote. I bet she will inspire many people to participate in this presidential election. Especially those who are too frustrated with the process to get invoved. I find Opraha's straight forwardness and honesty refreshing. I like to know where people stand and now we all know where she stands. The public loves Oprah. She is taking a risk. Her support of Obama will be very controversial. Many people in her position would not come out and make such a bold stand. I'm so tired of public figures who remain polictically neutral but privately it is a different story. They are too afraid of damaging their image to take a public stand on issues that matter. I say have enough courage to declare "who u are and what u believe". Take a stand and be prepared to deal with the with the consequences as Ophrah is doing. I say "bravo Ophra and Obama for daring to show the public the possibility of change-no more business as ususal on the Hill, and the hope for just and equitable policies that will lead us back to the basic purpose of our political system-"GOVERNMENT BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE." U don't have to vote for Obama. Oprah is not telling people who they should vote for. She is simply expressing her support for the candidate she believes stands for the things she believes in. All Americans qualified to vote should do the same. Why should this be a problem for anyone? U control your vote. America could definitely use some positive change in the White House and if Obama can do that he is certainly worth taking a look at.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
This is one of the most disturbing threads I've seen on this forum. There's so much racism, so much assumption, so much mind-reading ---- No wonder the world laughs at the USA.

This is an ignorant nation. Bash me for that statement, I welcome your hate mail. The fact that so many people would assume Oprah is supporting Obama simply because he's mulatto is ridiculous and completely ignores the fact that Oprah is a woman who has created her own empire, the American dream. If she were white, then most of you right-wingers would be worshiping her.

Obama is an inspirational speaker like Kennedy and Reagan. He can be a good leader. The presidency is largely ceremonial. The power doesn't rest with the office behind closed doors, it rests in the ability of the Commander In Chief to inspire others, to choose a competent supporting cast, give great speeches, and relate well to the rest of the world. Bush has failed at all of these tasks. He's an incompetent speaker, his foreign policy is the worst since Woodrow Wilson's, his cabinet has been so corrupt that it has rivaled the Nixon administration --- it's time to heal the nation and Barak Obama can do that. His race DOES MATTER! It sends a positive message to the entire world. His ability to deliver inspirational speeches DOES MATTER. Reagan's speeches brought America back to a place of pride from the gutter that Carter's well-intentioned stupidity had taken us to. The presidency is symbolic, and the symbolism of an Obama presidency, complete with his remote connections to Islam, would do wonders to heal woulds within the USA as well as helping our image with other nations.

Just my lame opinion, I could be totally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections