Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They sent a declaration of secession from Britain.
They indeed did. They regarded themselves as Englishmen prior to the revolution, most of them were lawyers trained in English law, and Philadelphia was the second largest "British" city, larger than Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Birmingham etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They indeed did. They regarded themselves as Englishmen prior to the revolution, most of them were lawyers trained in English law, and Philadelphia was the second largest "British" city, larger than Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Birmingham etc.

Casper has identified himself more than ever, as an Obama troll, today.

Obamabots can use the truth against Romney. They can't use the truth against Paul, or it backfires right back at them.
Paul stumps all the attacks with the truth.

When the truth hurts, there are lies and deception.
Making freedom legal once again, one American at a time.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
They sent a declaration of secession from Britain.

Secede means to break away from an organization or a federation. E.g.: The American colonies seceded from Great Britain in 1776 and formed the USA.
Secede Law & Legal Definition
Then there was the war. They won, you won't.
Interesting information anyway.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Casper has identified himself more than ever, as an Obama troll, in this thread.
Yes, that's the way around those that disagree with you or your new savior, call em a troll. So deep and thought inspiring
I will take it as you not having anything further to share on the subject of Treason to the Nation on the part of Paulbots. Works for me.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post

Troll

Caspers MO.... When the truth hurts, there are lies and deception....

Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
They did not secede they revolted. But go ahead and try, I dare ya, I double dare ya.
Just one more reason not to back Paul for anything but his own retirement
Quote:
Till Death do we part, anytime you guys want to tear the Nation apart you are more than welcome to try
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's the way around those that disagree with you or your new savior, call em a troll. So deep and thought inspiring
I will take it as you not having anything further to share on the subject of Treason to the Nation on the part of Paulbots. Works for me.

So you were proven misinformed, or intentionally misinforming.... Scared Troll

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So you were proven misinformed, or intentionally misinforming.... Scared Troll
So now you have reverted to personal attacks, the sign of a Loser. Wear it well, it fits you nicely. Your toast just like your savior, problem is you are both to slow to know it. I only have so much time to waste on your childish antics, and your time is up.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,997 times
Quote:
Casper, jeez..just trying to educate you is enough to turn my hair grey. :-)

OK, listen, I'll do this in real layman's language. Our country was founded by an act of secession. The reason was that the 13 colonies were fed up of King George III's tyranny, and wanted independence. The Constitution was written to restrict the Federal government from intruding on the liberties of the people. The federal government gets its powers from the states and the states get its powers from We The People. So in the order of importance, it's We > State > Federal.

The Civil War turned this concept on its head where Lincoln quashed the Secession (with a capital 'S'). The idea of keeping the Union, come hell or high water, was a concept which took root after that. At the time of the Constitutional Convention, the notion that the colonies are forming this alliance conditionally, and if they disliked the union, they could secede anytime, was widely accepted amongst the Founding Fathers. First step - Nullification, second step - Secession.

Now, examining the idea of secession doesn't equate to calling for it. Just like having the option of a divorce doesn't mean that every couple exercise it. It's a last resort, but a valid legal construct. As much as how the idea is radical in today's world, Dr. Paul is 100% right.

If you think I am lying or misinterpreting anything, please prove me wrong. I am always open to facts. Instead of going off on a tangent as "That crazy Paul wants to secede? Let him just try it!", keep the discussion to the historical aspects of the issue.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
So now you have reverted to personal attacks, the sign of a Loser. Wear it well, it fits you nicely. Your toast just like your savior, problem is you are both to slow to know it. I only have so much time to waste on your childish antics, and your time is up.

Trolling is an internet tactic, not your name, Casper. Pull up your big girl panties and quit whining and trolling.

We all saw you get wounded pretty bad. We understand. Really! We do.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
I wonder if someone would be willing to create a test case to see if the current SCOTUS would keep Texas v. White.

In that Reconstruction era case, the SCOTUS banned unilateral secession of a state, and permitted secession only with "the consent of the other states", i.e. an act of Congress.

Some Congressman should introduce a bill for the secession of a particular state. The GOP would love to let California go, because without CA it would be hard for the Dems to ever win a national election again. Secessionism in Texas is more popular than in any other state. As I said in another thread, there are only four states in the US which could survive as independent nations: CA (which would probably do better as an independent nation than as a state), TX, New York, and Florida. (It would be awfully difficult to have enforceable borders in an independent New York, but OTOH it would be extremely difficult for the US to function without NYC.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections