Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,470,909 times

Advertisements

No KIDDING. If you believe something you paid into never should have been taken from you in the first place and now you were going to get some of it back, wouldn't you take it? Come on. Be fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
No KIDDING. If you believe something you paid into never should have been taken from you in the first place and now you were going to get some of it back, wouldn't you take it? Come on. Be fair!
Exactly the same things will be said about the health care act in a few years.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 PM

688 posts, read 653,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
This is exactly the kind of misinformation I was trying to reason with that other dude.

You need to look at your FICA more like your electric bill and less like your 401k. Social security is, whether you like it or not, a pay-as-you-go system. You have not paid into anything... You've spent on something. You can argue that FICA shouldn't have been taken from you; I can buy that, but to suggest that you're owed a return is misses the point. FICA was never meant to offer a return, it was meant to ensure that our senior citizens don't perish in their unheated homes stocked with empty refrigerators.

Government's main job is to protect the security of its citizens. Food and heat for seniors who aren't able to work is just as important in that objective as a massive military presence. If a person was to suggest otherwise, well, then I hope they pass before they have endure feeling their own same sentiment.

Last edited by CDJD; 07-01-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,893,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
This is exactly the kind of misinformation I was trying to reason with that other dude.
It's not reasoning. It's twisted logic.

Quote:
You need to look at your FICA more like your electric bill and less like your 401k. Social security is, whether you like it or not, a pay-as-you-go system. You have not paid into anything... You've spent on something.
When I pay my electric bill it is a user fee. I have received a service for my money. With SS I have not received one thin dime. I can choose between different electric companies too. I even have a choice to do without the electric company altogether. Unlike government, the electric companies do not use force on me.
btw paying and spending are the same thing, quit trying to redefine words in order to fit your silly agenda.

Quote:
You can argue that FICA shouldn't have been taken from you; I can buy that, but to suggest that you're owed a return is misses the point. FICA was never meant to offer a return, it was meant to ensure that our senior citizens don't perish in their unheated homes stocked with empty refrigerators.
Then why do rich people still receive it? So they wont go with out caviar for a day? I guess no senior citizens every perished in unheated homes or die of heat stroke nowadays. Yea the seniors are saved.

Quote:
Government's main job is to protect the security of its citizens. Food and heat for seniors who aren't able to work is just as important in that objective as a massive military presence.
And stealing is the way to accomplish it? Good job on taking the high moral ground. Their is nothing in the constitution about SS. FDR era was an era of fear. The peoples backs were against the wall all because of the horrible economic conditions government created and PROLONGED. Big government jumped at the chance to run peoples lives. That's what they do, gives them an excuse to expand.
You are confusion the role of society with the role of government.

The role of government.
Protect our borders
Sound currency
Enforce contracts
Not raise us from cradle to grave.

Quote:
If a person was to suggest otherwise, well, then I hope they pass before they have endure feeling their own same sentiment.
If a control freak was to suggest stealing from Peter to give to Paul in order to help others and not charity is the way to go, well, then I hope they get thrown in jail before they bleed the people to death anymore.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM

688 posts, read 653,004 times
Here goes, again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not reasoning. It's twisted logic.
No, it's real. I get that you're upset about something, but I have said nothing that is untrue. Every trite argument and point of view that you have shared has been ill-informed, or, worse, predicated on anger. I suspect that your anger is the reason for your clouded reasoning. Regardless, you've proven nothing other than frustration on your part.

Quote:
When I pay my electric bill it is a user fee. I have received a service for my money. With SS I have not received one thin dime. I can choose between different electric companies too. I even have a choice to do without the electric company altogether. Unlike government, the electric companies do not use force on me.
btw paying and spending are the same thing, quit trying to redefine words in order to fit your silly agenda.
No, you absolutely do not pay a user fee. What you're paying is another example of pay-as-you-go. Your electric bill is not a fee, it's a summary of what you owe to the electric company billed based on your consumption. And, please, tell me where you live where you have a choice between electric companies that are not regulated by our government.

Paying and spending are different when put in context of your point of view.

Quote:
Then why do rich people still receive it? So they wont go with out caviar for a day? I guess no senior citizens every perished in unheated homes or die of heat stroke nowadays. Yea the seniors are saved.
Again, you've completely missed the point of what I have said. FICA is deducted because, for the sake of adhering to the definition of civilization, people who have contributed to society should not die at the hands of profit.

Rich people can collect because they have enough people, like you, who argue that they've payed into, and therefor are owed, social security.

Quote:

And stealing is the way to accomplish it? Good job on taking the high moral ground. Their is nothing in the constitution about SS. The peoples backs were against the wall all because of the horrible economic conditions government created and PROLONGED. Big government jumped at the chance to run peoples lives. That's what they do, gives them an excuse to expand.
You are confusion the role of society with the role of government.
If this is what you believe then it would take far too much time to talk history and sense into you. I will try in as short amount of time as possible though.

The words stealing and taxes are interchangeable to you, it's of little difference to me your semantics.

There is nothing in the constitution about prohibiting slavery; should I concede your rights to enslaving individuals as well?

I agree with you that people's backs were against the wall during the Great Depression. The current times will prove that there are citizens of this country whose backs' are against the wall today; particularly retirees.

A perfect society would look out for its own, unfortunately, people like you require government intervention. Quite frankly, no one, including your government, trusts a person of your low levels of generosity and compassion to look out for anyone other than themselves. Hence, we make you contribute. This isn't true of only Obama, but of Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagon, etc.

Quote:

If a control freak was to suggest stealing from Peter to give to Paul in order to help others and not charity is the way to go, well, then I hope they get thrown in jail before they bleed the people to death anymore.
Cool... but the majority of Americans know better than to believe your horrible analogy, so I'm not all that concerned. In fact, I hope you continue to alienate the reasonable people from the republican party if they continue to take the "Tea Party" seriously.

~Why you so mad, bro?

Last edited by CDJD; 07-03-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections