Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

The runoff was the election. Cruz is the new junior Senator from Tejas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
We

The Texas Democratic Party thinks that Cruz' victory in the runoff yesterday means the seat is in play in the general election. In the letter or blog post (or whatever it is) I've linked to, the chairman goes so far as to compare Ted Cruz to Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell. I disagree. He is intelligent. I don't think there's any question about that. He went to Princeton and Harvard Law School. He was a law clerk for former Supreme Court Chief Justice Renhquist. He was Solicitor General of Texas and successfully argued several cases before the Supreme Court.

That being said, I do not trust Cruz and his nomination for the Senate concerns me. I did not vote for him in the primary or in the runoff, but I probably will end up voting for him in November. I certainly do not agree with a lot of what the chairman says in the link I posted, but I do think the tea partiers need to really think more about what type of candidates they get behind. I am certainly against illegal immigration, but some of the comments Cruz has made that have to do with Hispanics in general are very inappropriate/stupid given that Texas is so heavily Hispanic. That is not the main reason I don't like Cruz though. He just seems like a weird man and like his main focus during his campaign has been pandering to a certain group of people who he should not be pandering to rather than on issues. And I have absolutely no clue what to expect from him.
So why are you voting for him?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Cruz is indeed intelligent. It's his viewpoints that are questionable, which are the extreme of the extreme on every major issue. Who knows, Texas elected Perry.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So why are you voting for him?
We need the Senate.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Cruz is indeed intelligent. It's his viewpoints that are questionable, which are the extreme of the extreme on every major issue. Who knows, Texas elected Perry.
Here's the thing about Cruz...I don't even know that many of his viewpoints. You and I certainly disagree about what's "extreme," but that's neither here nor there. It's not so much that his views are "extreme," it's that they are unknown and something just seems shady about him.

My gut feeling is that he tried to get certain voters to see him as a "libertarian" sort of candidate, but that he is really more concerned about social issues. He definitely has pandered a lot to the evangelical crowd and they are the ones that put him over the top in the runoff.

As far as Perry, he is not far right on every issue. He is moderate on some issues, like illegal immigration (an issue that I am not moderate on). He is disturbingly far right on some issues though (including issues that I am moderate on...I am not exactly a fan of Perry, though I have voted for him).

Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
We need the Senate.
Would you prefer that the Repubs hold the Presidency, both houses of congress and the SCOTUS? My experience is that divided power works best and keeps the parties from making really extreme laws.

My gut feeling is that he tried to get certain voters to see him as a "libertarian" sort of candidate, but that he is really more concerned about social issues. He definitely has pandered a lot to the evangelical crowd and they are the ones that put him over the top in the runoff.

I never got a Libertarian vibe off of him.
Why did you think that?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Would you prefer that the Repubs hold the Presidency, both houses of congress and the SCOTUS? My experience is that divided power works best and keeps the parties from making really extreme laws.
The SCOTUS is not partisan. Say what you want, but we see what happened with ObamaCare.

As far as the Presidency, the House, and the Senate, yes I would like the Republicans to hold them all. Not forever, but at least for two years.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I never got a Libertarian vibe off of him. Why did you think that?
Uhhhh...he appeared at at least one event (probably more) with Ron and Rand Paul and he was endorsed by them.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,648 times
I got a feeling he is going to be another Rand Paul,neocon in disguise.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Uhhhh...he appeared at at least one event (probably more) with Ron and Rand Paul and he was endorsed by them.

Ron Paul is a Libertarian, Rand Paul is not. He is a social conservative, anti-gay, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections