Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
With all respect Dixie, you're a strong Romney volunteer, and you have been since day one. Romney has been a center right R for most of his career and you know it--I'm good with that. His problem is that he can't carry the tea party base with that, so here we are. The attacks on his refusal to release his tax records HAVE been effective. I'm not very sympathetic, because he's had years to clean up returns so they could be released, and he chose not to do it. I know he's your guy and you love him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major flaws, and those flaws are coming home to roost.

The taxes are only a problem in the left's imagination...wait and see. I am sure you hope beyond hope there is a problem there, but as you said, he has prepared for this for years. Do you honestly think a guy this smart would let that happen???

Of course I am a Romney supporter, that is pretty obvious, but it has nothing to do with what I said as far as being acccurate. He governed MA as fiscally conservative as one possibly could in a the bluest state in the nation, which is why he balanced their budget and brought their credit rating up while in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Maybe that's YOUR take, but of course, you really have no idea what Romney's reasoning was.

My take is that picking Ryan shows that he's real serious about tackling the really tough things needed to bring back our economy.

Ryan is a math guy who has set forth a plan not much unlike the plan that Obama's own Economic Council he created recommended (and then he ignored).
The Ryan plan is a big departure right--it maintains the same military funding in peacetime that we were carrying through two wars, but it cuts SS and Medicare. That plan had overwhelming tea party support, and that's what he brings to the table in all this. There are lots of smart people in DC who he could have selected as VP. Ryan was selected to bring home the tea party base who've been luke warm about him from the beginning.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-11-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
That was beneath contempt. And for someone apparently well-read in history it's inexcusable.
Why a reference to Ryan's fellow libertarian, Friedrich Hayek, should make you think so is lost on me.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Obama did the same thing with Biden. Good try though.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You seem not to be aware that Kirk was also a Catholic.
And this has to do with Kirk's views on the compatibility of libertarianism and conservatism in what way?

Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Maybe this time around, the Left will leave the VP's kids alone. One can hope
When your own children make you look like a hypocrite, they become a target plain and simple.

Everybody knows Palin types sneer at those who have bastard children while simultaneously excusing their own children if they happen to have their own.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times

Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Paul Ryan is a devout Catholic, not that it should matter, but if so...there it is!
People throw the word "devout" around as if it means something. Ryan has a label but he, like most, isn't devout about it.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
When your own children make you look like a hypocrite, they become a target plain and simple.

Everybody knows Palin types sneer at those who have bastard children while simultaneously excusing their own children if they happen to have their own.
She certainly never excused her daughter, anything but and I don't remember anyone sneering at any bastard children here or anywhere else. Yes, there will always be those who are holier than thou. This goes for both sides. I don't care which side one is one, targeting family members is hitting below the belt and has no place in politics or anything else. It is classless and childish.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

They started on her family waaaaay before that girl got pregnant. Dont try to use that as an excuse.

They gave Biden's coke snorting daughter a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections