Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The plan would cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. It would implement two individual income tax brackets -- 10 percent and 25 percent.
That's what Obama also proposed, but the GOP rejected it. You think they would support it, if the GOP proposed it? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,535,730 times
Great, so now Romney will lose Florida as well. This election wont even be close anymore.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the end it is Congress that makes the budget. The President/VP can only suggest and submit proposals.
Congress holds the purse strings yet so many forget that.
I know, but the average American sees the President and his team as leading the charge on those issues, especially if the president is in the same party as the majority in the House or Senate. By putting Ryan on the ticket, he's essentially putting the Ryan plan in as his own legislative agenda, at least in the eyes of the public, whether he planned on doing that or not.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How is your reading comprehension? Romney has already stated to the press that he is not going to use Ryan's budget.
It doesn't matter. No matter what he says, the perception is that he selected Ryan because of Romney's support for the budget plan--that's Ryan's only claim to fame. He's done absolutely nothing else to qualify him for a VP slot. Perception is reality in politics, and Mitt isn't going to be able to walk away from this one.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It doesn't matter. No matter what he says, the perception is that he selected Ryan because of Romney's support for the budget plan--that's Ryan's only claim to fame. He's done absolutely nothing else to qualify him for a VP slot. Perception is reality in politics, and Mitt isn't going to be able to walk away from this one.
What qualified Biden for his VP spot ?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
I still want an answer as to why Medicare is considered unsustainable, but four wars are not,

Probably a rhetorical question, anyway. It's all a hypothetical fiction to the powers that be.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
O.K. lesson number 1. Medicaid is for the poor. I am not poor because I built it. Medicare kicks in at 65, Part A (hospitalization), $0 premium, whether you need or want it. Part B (docs) has a premium associated, plus folks usually buy gap coverage, for a total of $250 to $300~, or more, per month, as best I can determine. That is, unless a 65 year old is covered under other private health insurance. Part D (Rx) likewise.

We need real, substantive change, regardless of how it impacts me, or does not impact me. In other words, I can and do separate personal benefit, or dis-benefit, personal gain, or personal loss, from what is best for the country's fiscal and societal health. The spending problem we have in government is not healthy, the over-dependence on government is not healthy

But, on Medicaid, which what you asked.

My apologies, I meant medicare not medicaid.

Some other questions:

1) Ryan plans to raise defense spending. Given your stance about budgeting, do you agree?
2) To balance the budget would you be willing to raise taxes on the wealthiest earners via letting those bush tax cuts expire?

Note: I say the wealthiest earners because an analysis released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis reveals that letting the cuts expire for earners below 250k would reduce the real gdp by 1.03 PP compared to .24 PP. In a recessed economy that is procyclical especially if you're convinced that the problem is with AD.

I echo some earlier sentiments about the seriousness of most of the GOP about fiscal issues since they want to raise defense spending and won't budget in regards to tax increases. Former GOP presidents in the past have done it so I don't know why it's a contentious issue now. Well I do now.

3) Have you taken some things into consideration in regards to Ryan's plan involving medicare with the primary one being economic uncertainty in the long term? Administrations come and go and can make changes to legislation. I take his multidecade projections with a grain of salt since they assume ceteris paribus. Another key consideration is how it cuts medicare. Beneficiaries receive it in the form of a voucher and the rest of the cost is shifted onto them. As we've seen over the past several decades health care cost have been rising. So if Romney wins and gets his way, a couple of things could happen:

1) Costs continue to rise and seniors have to pay more out of pocket for care
2) They forego care due to rising cost
3) They compromise their retirement to pay for care
4) Coverage decreases

Along with those, that is also the reason why I have little regard for Ryan's projections since we don't know what the long term consequences of what his voucher program will be.

I'm not looking for argue, I'm just looking for your opinion since you're the target demograph of plan and would be effected along with your peers. I'm a right leaning moderate and I will be supporting Mr. Obama because I highly disagree with the Ryan vision. I do think the SBP/PPACA is a much better starting ground for reform since other countries such as Germany, Switzerland, and Singapore still manage to restrain those cost through a regulated health exchange market with private insurers without cutting programs for the elderly and other demographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Cannot wait to see them sell this plan in S. Florida.

They aren't looking at the demographics.

Also seniors , from what I can see, are not happy with Ryan's budget idea at all.
They aren't:

Few Seniors Support GOP Plan To Restructure Medicare - Kaiser Health News

And his older constituents in his district aren't either:

Paul Ryan Booed By Seniors At Town Hall Meeting in Milton, Wisconsin 4-2011 - YouTube

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I still want an answer as to why Medicare is considered unsustainable, but four wars are not,

Probably a rhetorical question, anyway. It's all a hypothetical fiction to the powers that be.
We have to make cuts to medicare yet we hand over $1 billion just to Egypt alone so they can maintain their army. How many other countries get money from us so they can maintain what they have ?
And here we are at home looking at cuts to our own programs.

Our government (both sides) care more about their standing in the world then they do about the people who elected them into office. We are nothing more then a revenue stream to them and they throw us crumbs.

When it comes to cuts, our programs that benefit our citizens should not be first on the chopping block.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,672,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I know, but the average American sees the President and his team as leading the charge on those issues, especially if the president is in the same party as the majority in the House or Senate. By putting Ryan on the ticket, he's essentially putting the Ryan plan in as his own legislative agenda, at least in the eyes of the public, whether he planned on doing that or not.
Excellent post by mb1547. You have keen and accurate perception, because I KNOW I Do. You hit the nail dead center. The perception the Florida crowd (retired elderly, etc.) and tons of disabled people have about Ryan's Budget plans...scares the crap out of them !!

This choice of Ryan will cost Romney tons of votes he would have gotten had he chose another.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Folks..Ryan is not in line for the Presidency. Some of your comments have Ryan making policy.
It's Romney that is going for President here, not Ryan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections