Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The only negative to Obama's medicare cuts is to the big insurance companies as his cuts are to the big financial incentives that are given to them. Ryan's cuts, however, are to seniors..... now that is a huge negative.
That is not true.

Hospitals, nursing facilities, home health agencies, and ambulance services will all be paid less under Obamacare. This is just one example.

Readmissions will also get less in reimbursements for every readmission of the same problem so if one keeps going back to the hospital for the same problem, each time the hospital will get less in reimbursements. See how quick that hospital will be to readmit patients with those type of rules in place.

There's more and you can go research it yourself.

They are not touting "cuts". What they are saying is that providers will be "paid less".
In my mind if you are paying me less then you are doing cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM

That was 58 years ago when those programs were solvent and had money.
Times have changed and now we're broke and so are the programs.

Any ponzi scheme that has one group paying for another eventually runs out of money. None have been successful yet this is how we operate.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Eisenhower was a RINO.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Where are seniors on Medicare seeing a decrease in access?
Doctors can refuse to see Medicare patients. I have already had a doctor tell me that she could no longer see me when I turned 65. I had been her patient for 7 years at that time. This was before Obamacare, but Obamacare makes it worse by cutting reimbursement further and adding paperwork load. I live in a relatively young community so doctors do not have to treat Medicare patients to make a good living. My current gp is at present weighing the option of going into concierge medicine in order to avoid government run healthcare.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Doctors can refuse to see Medicare patients. I have already had a doctor tell me that she could no longer see me when I turned 65. I had been her patient for 7 years at that time. This was before Obamacare, but Obamacare makes it worse by cutting reimbursement further and adding paperwork load. I live in a relatively young community so doctors do not have to treat Medicare patients to make a good living. My current gp is at present weighing the option of going into concierge medicine in order to avoid government run healthcare.
I need actual proof that Obama cutting the corporate welfare in Medicare is causing seniors access problems.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I need actual proof that Obama cutting the corporate welfare in Medicare is causing seniors access problems.
Seniors have been having access problems for a while now. This is something happening today and was happening BEFORE Obamacare got passed. People on medicaid are also having problems finding new doctors to take them.

There is this 27% cut to medicare reimbursements that Congress keeps postponing each year but at the last minute. I don't know what has happened to this under Obamacare though.

Here's some articles that go back to 2011:

Where Are The Medicare/Medicaid Providers? » Texas Seniors Guides
Texas Medicare and Medicaid patients are finding it increasingly difficult to find a doctor in their area that will accept new patients with Medicare or Medicaid.

Problems finding new Medicare primary care doctors small but growing - amednews.com
A federal survey of Medicare beneficiaries shows that slightly more patients are having difficulty finding new primary care physicians to care for them.

Medicare how-to: The ins and outs of Medicare - Los Angeles Times
"I think it's becoming more difficult to find providers who will accept Medicare," says David Lipschutz, an attorney with the Center for Medicare Advocacy, a nonprofit education and advocacy organization in Willimantic, Conn. Lipschutz says the reasons for this are varied, but one often cited is a looming cut in physician reimbursement that Congress has voted to postpone each year.

Now how many are aware of the automatic cuts set to occur on 1/1/2013 if Congress fails to cut $1.2 trillion from the budget ? Remember that was part of the "raise the debt ceiling" issue.

Part of those automatic cuts happens to medicare:

FAQ: How Are Medicare Benefits Impacted By The New Debt Deal? | The Senior Citizens League
If across-the-board cuts were triggered it would affect payments to healthcare providers who treat Medicare patients. Near the top of the list will be doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, home healthcare and other providers. Providers say that the cuts will affect seniors’ access to services. Hospitals may have to close units or may not accept new Medicare patients. Doctors already are facing a 29.5 percent pay cut beginning January 1 of next year unless Congress acts to change it.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
Quote:
You throw this out as if someone would be able to give you "actual proof" that you would accept. I gave you two actual examples of where I, one person, was or will be limited in access. I haven't been to the hospital in 20 years but I would imagine that that would be impacted as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
That is pretty accurate. I see, every day that I go to my Medicare Advantage Dr or the pharmacy, why the statements of Obama about recovering some of the $716 bil, are absolutely true. The MA private Ins companies are indeed over compensated in many, if not all, cases. My plan, costs me $0. The $97/month from Soc Sec for the Medicare goes back into my SS check. My MA Ins provide the Medicare coverages plus free Q-tips, etc. In addition to the Medicare coverage, I pay $0 co-pay for tier 1 prescriptions and $0 for regular primary care, labs, follow ups, ... etc. How can a private company do that and make money? Because, they are way over compensated by the Medicare System for the plans. That was Bush's intention when they created this give away to Ins Ind. As I recall, Bush even had a hard time getting enough Repubs to buy into it, because they all knew it was theft from Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections