Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I love these threads where the right tries to disparage the president for taking out Bin Laden. It kills them that President "Mission Accomplished" actually accomplished nothing when it came to getting the guy who was responsible for 9/11. Thousands of American lives and countless Iraqi lives, along with immense national treasure, squandered for nothing, but who do they rail against? The president who actually caught the responsible party.

So you're somehow claiming that Iraq had something to do with 911?

That sure is an about-face for a LIBERAL!!

Here all along Liberals have been saying Iraq and 911 were completely unrelated....now you are equating them.

You are also saying Obama "caught the responsible party". No, he didn't, the Navy Seals did that. All Obama did was make a NO-BRAINER decision that ANYONE would have made.

PS: Check your history......a MAJORITY of Democrats voted in favor of the Iraq War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
The right takes the uncomfortable stance that the President only ordered the killing of OBL and therefore really can't be given responsibility of the action. If the is correct, the logic continues that OBL himself wasn't responsible for 9/11, since he only ordered it.

Can't have it two different ways.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
I love these threads where the right tries to disparage the president for taking out Bin Laden. It kills them that President "Mission Accomplished" actually accomplished nothing when it came to getting the guy who was responsible for 9/11. Thousands of American lives and countless Iraqi lives, along with immense national treasure, squandered for nothing, but who do they rail against? The president who actually caught the responsible party.
No one is "disparag[ing) the president for taking out Bin Laden." You're reading into something that simply does not exist. All that we are saying is that it was a decision that any President would have made given the circumstances. And all we are saying is that American's really don't give a damn about Osama Bin Laden in this current economic climate.

The OBL discussion is an absolute non-starter for the American populace. Barack Obama was simply doing what he was paid to do. No accolades for performing the duties of the job description. No trophies for just being on the team.

Got it?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No one is "disparag[ing) the president for taking out Bin Laden." You're reading into something that simply does not exist. All that we are saying is that it was a decision that any President would have made given the circumstances. And all we are saying is that American's really don't give a damn about Osama Bin Laden in this current economic climate.

The OBL discussion is an absolute non-starter for the American populace. Barack Obama was simply doing what he was paid to do. No accolades for performing the duties of the job description. No trophies for just being on the team.

Got it?
That's not really true either. Another President may have hit the target from the air. Another President may have tried to get Pakistan involved, not wanting to violate sovereign borders.

You just don't want to give credit where credit is due.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's not really true either. Another President may have hit the target from the air. Another President may have tried to get Pakistan involved, not wanting to violate sovereign borders.

How can you use the words "not true" in the very same sentence with a line of hypotheticals?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The right takes the uncomfortable stance that the President only ordered the killing of OBL and therefore really can't be given responsibility of the action. If the is correct, the logic continues that OBL himself wasn't responsible for 9/11, since he only ordered it.

Can't have it two different ways.

Actually, you're wrong.....

1) Obama didn't PLAN the Bin Laden raid.....the CIA, NSA, and Military did.

2) Bin Laden DID plan the WTC and Pentagon attacks.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I DID give him credit for making a NO-BRAINER decision.

I would even venture to say he didn't really want to OK it, but the political implications of him NOT OKing it was even more politically suicidal.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So you're somehow claiming that Iraq had something to do with 911?
Yeah, because that's what I meant when I said that President "Mission Accomplished" squandered countless lives and untold national wealth and accomplished nothing to get the guy who was actually responsible for 9/11. Reading comprehension, jt. Work on it.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, because that's what I meant when I said that President "Mission Accomplished" squandered countless lives and untold national wealth and accomplished nothing to get the guy who was actually responsible for 9/11. Reading comprehension, jt. Work on it.

I think I read you pretty clearly confusing the two things....

Quote:
It kills them that President "Mission Accomplished" actually accomplished nothing when it came to getting the guy who was responsible for 9/11. Thousands of American lives and countless Iraqi lives, along with immense national treasure, squandered for nothing, but who do they rail against? The president who actually caught the responsible party.

Iraq and Bin Laden had nothing at all to do with each other, but you are combining the two. When all those Democrats stood up in front of Congress and made speeches about why we needed to take out Saddam Hussein and then voted for that war, no one claimed it had anything to do with 911.

And since you seem to be reading challenged, this thread isn't "railing against" Obama at all. I stated several times that I give him credit for making a NO-BRAINER decision that anyone on earth would make.

Since he cancelled the raid several times, I tend to think he wasn't as much deciding in favor of the raid, but came to the conclusion that if it ever leaked out that he didn't at least try, the political repercussions would have been suicidal...and we all know Obama is the campaigner in chief.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I think I read you pretty clearly confusing the two things....

Iraq and Bin Laden had nothing at all to do with each other, but you are combining the two.
How you get from "President "Mission Accomplished" actually accomplished nothing when it came to getting the guy who was responsible for 9/11," to the claim that I'm confusing Iraq and 9/11 is a load of BS. I've said it was absolutely pointless, and a waste of lives and resources, to invade Iraq when that country had nothing to do with 9/11.

But you already know that's what I'm saying. My own fault--I keep forgetting that trying to have a discussion with you is an exercise in futility, as all you ever do is talk in circles. You are a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections