Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
*Sigh*

President Obama paid a higher percentage of his income.
But a MUCH smaller AMOUNT.

If you're concerned about percentage... FLAT TAX. No deductions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct for SS and Medicare. They pay for it; they get it when they are eligible. (Medicaid is a welfare benefit that is not paid for by payroll taxes.)

Make that same concept true for all of the other government services and benefits (this is where Medicaid fits), as well. You pay for it; you get it. If you DON'T pay for it, then like SS and Medicare, you will not receive the benefits.
Quote:
False premise. Seniors already PAID for their SS and Medicare benefits via paying payroll taxes for years. They have QUALIFIED to receive those paid for benefits. And most will actually lose money on the deal.
Social Security not good deal it once was
Quote:
Apparently, you don't.

Seniors have paid for YEARS to receive the Medicare benefits for which they qualify. If you didn't pay; you don't qualify.

Those who receive Medicaid benefits pay very little or most frequently nothing at all to receive Medicaid benefits.Neither do I, which is why I donate substantial sums to various charities.

BUT... do NOT force me and one half of the US population to pay 15%, 24%, 30%, etc., of our annual income to subsidize the half who takes, takes, takes, and pays nothing.
Quote:
The working poor needs to live within their means. This can be done by acquiring roommates and consolidating and sharing other resources. If you can't afford to care for a child; don't have one.

Personal responsibility. Know it. Live it.
MANY seniors paid in far less than they have received. I have posted before (the most recent just yesterday) on how my FIL used to joke that he got WAY more than he paid in. We didn't even start paying a separate Medicare tax until the 1980s (1983, I believe), yet Medicare has been around since 1965.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Exactly why many females do NOT drop a name. They get more freebie government benefits if a father is not named.
Post some verifiable documentation. I don't think most women care who the child support is coming from.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
MANY seniors paid in far less than they have received.
That used to be true. It's now only true for the low-income.
Is Social Security still a good deal for workers? - Yahoo! News

Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
No, they don't. There is NO legal requirement to name a father on a BC. True, but if there's no name on the BC and the mother says she doesn't know who the father is, there's legally NOTHING the case workers can do.

I didn't say anything about required to drop a name on the BC. My statement was with Welfare. They ARE REQUIRED to provide a Fathers name. If one can not be found, then the woman is required to complete a educational or work program. As I stated, they will get there money one way or the other. Either from the father or the one on assistance.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Thank you for verifying what I have long suspected, the right wing is opposed to progress.
I know!

Funny, isn't it, that "progress" (or progressive) has become a dirty word to some?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Post some verifiable documentation. I don't think most women care who the child support is coming from.
Really?

Government = same benefit same day of every month.
Father = may or may not have money to pay; may or may not send payment

Many fathers are YEARS behind in child support payments.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:

Exactly...there is a definite misconception out there that the states just sits idly by and allow these women to just sit around until the first of the month waiting for that family first card to get reloaded. I know South Carolina has the strictest Welfare requirements out there, NJ and NY are the next.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I didn't say anything about required to drop a name on the BC. My statement was with Welfare. They ARE REQUIRED to provide a Fathers name. If one can not be found, then the woman is required to complete a educational or work program.
Aren't they required to do that anyway?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Exactly why many females do NOT drop a name. They get more freebie government benefits if a father is not named.
Utter nonsense.

Women on TANF have no choice, either they cooperate with the state or they LOSE 25% of their benefits.

The benefit level don't change whether the father is known or not. Child support payments are handed over to the state and the state uses that money to pay the recipient.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections