Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

Romney has done a 180. In a Univision interview yesterday, he backed off on his 47%, claimed he was the grandfather of ObamaCare and all but rolled out the welcome mat to illegal aliens living in the US. This guy is a political chameleon extraordinaire, the likes of which we have never seen before. I wonder how all this is going to play with the "base". Will they think it is clever politicking and that Mitt really is one of them, or will they conclude that he is nothing but a liberal in conservative clothing?

First Thoughts: A more moderate Mitt returns? - First Read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Of course he reversed his stand, he does it almost everyday but the Romneybots wil never see that.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
so is this where Obama has him on the ropes and needs to go for the knockout?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Romney has done a 180. In a Univision interview yesterday, he backed off on his 47%, claimed he was the grandfather of ObamaCare and all but rolled out the welcome mat to illegal aliens living in the US. This guy is a political chameleon extraordinaire, the likes of which we have never seen before. I wonder how all this is going to play with the "base". Will they think it is clever politicking and that Mitt really is one of them, or will they conclude that he is nothing but a liberal in conservative clothing?

He'll be walking most of what he said here back before the close of the news cycle.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:

They will do what the koch brothers tell them to do. Its not about policy of any kind so this will not hurt him at all. They will make every excuse in the world. He was taking out of context or Obama lied too or if some told the truth "at least he is white".

Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
F40

826 posts, read 857,887 times
This is one of the reasons people find him to be an arrogant eletist, He has no shame what so ever.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:

He DID call the Dreamer kids "illegal aliens" though.

His campaign just got through signaling to the press that Romney was going hard right, counting on an energized base. Of course, that was a day BEFORE the video came out. Now, he's Mister 100%???

Poor Romney. His head is going to snap off!

What we are watching is a psychological unravelling- a person with no core, discovering at age 65 that he doesn't really know who or what he is. Romney can't represent HIMSELF, let alone the rest of the country. Kinda poignant, really.

Look on the bright side, GOP- Romney's bio will make a pretty good Oliver Stone movie!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
This is so sad and so expected. I would think that most republicans are getting tired of him having to clarify what he said or his camp having to do it for him. I really don't blame the republicans for not wanting to be connected to him.

Pawlenty quit for a new job.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Of course he reversed his stand, he does it almost everyday but the Romneybots wil never see that.
They see it but they just don't care because all they care about is getting Obama out of office.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
They will do what the koch brothers tell them to do. Its not about policy of any kind so this will not hurt him at all. They will make every excuse in the world. He was taking out of context or Obama lied too or if some told the truth "at least he is white".
I dunno. I think this strategy might be effective. As a moderate Indie, I had given Romney a look but turned against him when he starting pandering to the extreme right of his party. I grudgingly accepted that he had to do this during the primary, but when he failed to correct course afterwards, I got worried about him actually being "severely conservative" in spite of his record and historic positions on the issues. There was also concern about how he would ever govern from the middle with his party off in right field. That concern remains. But, the softer side of Mitt may play well to the masses who don't see the wackos who are funding his campaign and to whom he will be beholden should he win.

Mitt will be a much better candidate going forward talking what he really believes instead of right wing mantras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections