Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times

Advertisements

I've been around a long time, since the beginning of TV and have never seen a President avail himself of TV Talk Shows like Obama. I have little respect for celebrities that preach their political views, assuming the public worships them so much they will vote for anyone they support.

It's bad enough that the mud-slinging political ads have been running for months and this campaign has been going on for years, but then to watch a show and Obama is on it!

Maybe if he spent more time doing his job of President, I would respect him more. Instead I am so turned off to him because of his celebrity ass-kissing that I refuse to listen to ANYTHING he has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,686,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I've been around a long time, since the beginning of TV and have never seen a President avail himself of TV Talk Shows like Obama. I have little respect for celebrities that preach their political views, assuming the public worships them so much they will vote for anyone they support.

It's bad enough that the mud-slinging political ads have been running for months and this campaign has been going on for years, but then to watch a show and Obama is on it!

Maybe if he spent more time doing his job of President, I would respect him more. Instead I am so turned off to him because of his celebrity ass-kissing that I refuse to listen to ANYTHING he has to say.

He is certainly not "presidential". He performs his duties from an arrogant, detached and lazy approach. The guy is "too busy" to meet with the Israeli PM and to meet for his daily intelligence breifing, but can appear on "The View" and "Letterman".

Obama has cheapened the office of the presidency- only 6 more weeks.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Quote:

It's 2012, not 1950. People don't watch news specials much anymore so if a president wants to reach people, they are going to go on shows people watch. There was a time when presidents did weekly radio addresses, even weekly TV shows to communicate to people. Times changes. Suck it up.

I will agree that the campaigns are too long. We really need some laws to shorten them and limit the amount of money that can be spent on elections. But there's that pesky little thing called free speech which will get in the way of any limitations being put on campaigns.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,426,147 times
Quote:

I agree with this. I used to look at a president as a serious force within in U.S and within the world, someone who was respected throughout the world. All I see is a president who is more interested in hanging out with celebrities than he is in doing his job as president.

The prestige of the office of president of the United States involves being above the level of others. Hanging out with celebrities comes bad. The world has to be laughing at the Americans and don't take this celebrity president seriously.

How much do Americans suffering under a shaky economy and high unemployment care what celebrities have to say about politics? Those people make $250k per episode and that is on the low end.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's 2012, not 1950. People don't watch news specials much anymore so if a president wants to reach people, they are going to go on shows people watch. There was a time when presidents did weekly radio addresses, even weekly TV shows to communicate to people. Times changes. Suck it up.

I will agree that the campaigns are too long. We really need some laws to shorten them and limit the amount of money that can be spent on elections. But there's that pesky little thing called free speech which will get in the way of any limitations being put on campaigns.

I agree with the above.

I also have been around for a while (the first political convention I watched was 1964, mainly because it was on all three channels), and times have changed. If shows such as The View were available back in 1964, etc., then, no doubt, candidates would have appeared on them.

You had people complaining when Bill Clinton appeared on Letterman many years ago, playing his trumpet (or whatever horn that was). Heck, Richard Nixon even appeared on an episode of "Laugh In" (then No. 1 show) and said, in a befuddled voice "Sock it to me?"

If Mr. Romney wins, you can bet you will see him on such shows when he begins his run for re-election. It is simply a fact of life now, and sitting at your computer and wishing it weren't so does nothing.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're right...and on a positive note I can turn him off with a flick of my finger. Times may be changing, but one would think the Office of the President of the United States had a little more dignity than Letterman and The View.

No wonder we are the laughingstock of the rest of the world.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
Quote:
I've been around a long time, since the beginning of TV and have never seen a President avail himself of TV Talk Shows like Obama.
It demonstrates an acknowledgment on the part of Obama of the changes in American entertainment and the role of technology in modern campaigns.

Quote:
It is simply more efficient than kissing baby bottoms, and traveling to county and state fairs, riding in the back of a train whistle stopping across the country. Why spend hundreds and thousands of dollars and hours sometimes days traveling to the Ohio state fair to speak to a crowd in the thousands when you make a 90 minute run to New York and speak to millions?

By the way, there are quite a few more talk show than back in the day of Johnny Carson.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Obama goes on several talk shows Welcome to 2012.
Romney has an equal opportunity to go on the same shows

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
I just watched Ann Romney on Access Hollywood....is the OP upset about that too?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,769,784 times
The best thing The President can do is get reelected at this point. That would puncture the GOP's governing model since 2009, to sabotage the president and get back the power. A disgrace that brings shame on our government. Having failed with their assassination attempt, they might just decide to do their jobs. I am not holding my breath on that, but I think Obama's reelection is of historic importance this year. We are dealing with a bunch of terrorists on the right,led by McConnell, and giving them a victory for their treasonous ways, would only embolden them.

They need to be spanked and hard for the last few years. It is for their own good, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections