Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The opportunity to simply say something about the situation. To say that this right here is an example of what I will work to prevent as president. To show that just once he does care more about people than he does about his portfolio.
But it's not just HIS portfolio. There are other investors with money here. They own the company. They get to make the decisions. Apparently Mr. Romney is not one of the decision makers of the company. Do you think the President, or anyone, has the right to force a company to act in a manner that is contrary to their financial interests?
How's this idea? Mr. Romney has said that he wants to lower the corporate tax rate, to make America the most attractive place for companies to be. Let's do that, shall we, and maybe companies like this one will have more reason to stay, and less reason to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Doesn't sound like Romney would be very influential at all as President....unless, outsourcing American jobs is in his best financial interests.

Now that's his forte.

"Romney can bring his full experience to bear outsourcing American jobs while working in his financial best interests." Great campaign slogan, right?!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM

684 posts, read 825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Perhaps you've misunderstand the thread topic and the nuanced idea that a politician who would like the citizens to believe his rhetoric, could perhaps practice what he preaches.
You've intrigued me. All right. Hypothetical situation - This thread is about hypocrisy and we aren't to point out that you're a hypocrite as well for not applying the same rules to Romney that you do to Obama.

I could point out that Romney's argument is that Obama's platform is chasing away companies and forcing them to outsource. By that point, Romney is very carefully living the things he says. Obama is currently in power, therefore it only makes sense that outsourcing would occur. That's a point in Romney's favor. Then, we could go in to a back and forth about whether Romney would bring them back if he became President, but obviously we aren't psychic and couldn't determine if he would or wouldn't - Only guess.

Other than that, I could also point out that we don't know if he asked the company not to outsource. We have no idea. His private correspondences are private, so it's entirely possible he did request - As the President did - That companies not perform layoffs until after the election.

Or I could point out that it's entirely possible that Romney was too busy running for the presidency to even know about the outsourcing, thus meaning he isn't aware of all the goings on of the literally thousands of companies in his portfolio.

Of course, as this thread is essentially a 'slam the person you don't like' thread, I suspect none of those things would sway you. But as an intellectual exercise in defending a candidate, that's what I would do.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
But it's not just HIS portfolio. There are other investors with money here. They own the company. They get to make the decisions. Apparently Mr. Romney is not one of the decision makers of the company. Do you think the President, or anyone, has the right to force a company to act in a manner that is contrary to their financial interests?
How's this idea? Mr. Romney has said that he wants to lower the corporate tax rate, to make America the most attractive place for companies to be. Let's do that, shall we, and maybe companies like this one will have more reason to stay, and less reason to move.
The pure hate that walidm has for Romney is so sad...it shows, in his postings, no matter what is said in defense of Romney..he won't even answer a question directly.....

Because Romney has stock in this company, in walidm's eyes Romney owns the company, period....no matter what....

It's sad that people like walidm even exist....they exist for one reason, to spread the hate....

walidm will wither away to mom's basement in about 3 weeks.....look at his faded poster.....and cry their self to sleep....

Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
You've intrigued me. All right. Hypothetical situation - This thread is about hypocrisy and we aren't to point out that you're a hypocrite as well for not applying the same rules to Romney that you do to Obama.

I could point out that Romney's argument is that Obama's platform is chasing away companies and forcing them to outsource. By that point, Romney is very carefully living the things he says. Obama is currently in power, therefore it only makes sense that outsourcing would occur. That's a point in Romney's favor. Then, we could go in to a back and forth about whether Romney would bring them back if he became President, but obviously we aren't psychic and couldn't determine if he would or wouldn't - Only guess.

Other than that, I could also point out that we don't know if he asked the company not to outsource. We have no idea. His private correspondences are private, so it's entirely possible he did request - As the President did - That companies not perform layoffs until after the election.

Or I could point out that it's entirely possible that Romney was too busy running for the presidency to even know about the outsourcing, thus meaning he isn't aware of all the goings on of the literally thousands of companies in his portfolio.

Of course, as this thread is essentially a 'slam the person you don't like' thread, I suspect none of those things would sway you. But as an intellectual exercise in defending a candidate, that's what I would do.
Excellent post!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'll bet you've bought products that use slave or child labor..
That makes you an accessory.
You're correct, I have and I am. But that doesn't stop me from making some effort thru my choices, and by putting my money where my mouth is. And I certainly don't just stand around and do nothing about it, unlike "Mr. I'm a Job Creator"....

Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Cool lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Your hypothetical is useless.

There is a real situation to address and this thread is about that situation. Stay focused.

~they're incapable of receiving your help

Last edited by walidm; 10-19-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Your hypothetical is useless.

There is a real situation to address and this thread is about that situation. Stay focused.
More questions not answered....

Keep it up, you are doing great....

Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I low how the right tries to insinuate that companies outsource to China because of Obamacare. If Romney gets elected, that wouldn't have happened.

You have to be a complete fool or liar make a statement like that. Companies have been outsourcing for years, even when they are making a profit, because they can make a bigger profit by slashing labor costs.

Neither candidate has done anything to stop this. It has nothing to do with the health insurance plan. It's MBA graduate 101 on how to cut costs.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Default hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Because Romney has stock in this company, in walidm's eyes Romney owns the company, period....no matter what....

Freeport - a town of 25,000 with a declining population and a poverty rate well above the national average, passed a resolution Monday asking Romney to intervene.

I live in Charlotte.

Romney has no direct involvement in the operations of the company he established (despite continuing to make millions as a "passive retired partner").

He has influence. He certainly has the ear of the press, he's a candidate for the Presidency who's had plenty to say about China, jobs, and outsourcing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections