Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No wonder Mythster doesn't feel he needs to provide specifics, his followers lap up the lack of them thereby, learning nothing.

Damn, you ad libbed. Likely having an attack of the vapors now. Have a juice and relax. You'll get new directives soon.

You remind me of the dumb ass store owners around here. No matter what the local government comes up with to help them it's never enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Hmmm. My mom was 91 when she died. She not only "had to have a ride" but she had to have help walking from room to room even, and definitely anywhere else. She had to have help to get to the car and then I had a little stepstool for her to stand on and turn around and sit in the car, and then we would put her legs in. She could use a walker - with help - but couldn't walk more than a few steps without being out of breath, and for anything more than that we used a wheelchair. She could not be alone because she would fall. She hadn't driven in many years, but she did keep her driver's license updated and she voted in every election.

If she had needed to get an ID other than her driver's license she would have wanted to do that and we would have loaded her in the car and gone to get it.
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. I was not responding to you when I said a poster didn't have much experience with the truly elderly. AFAIK, all states make you take a vision test every time you renew your driver's lice and won't issue one if you fail.

I do not live near my MIL, my husband's brother is in charge of that stuff. And some have NO family to help them.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. I was not responding to you when I said a poster didn't have much experience with the truly elderly. AFAIK, all states make you take a vision test every time you renew your driver's lice and won't issue one if you fail.

I do not live near my MIL, my husband's brother is in charge of that stuff. And some have NO family to help them.
And didn't I say if she didn't have her driver's license she would want an ID and we would take her to get one?

I didn't think you were responding to me, but now you admit you don't even live near your MIL. You keep using her as an example, but truthfully your brother in law could take her to get an ID, could he not? It's not like she has no license so there is no way she can vote. She could get an ID if she needed to.

Yes, some have no help. But where there's a will, there is a way. There are all kinds of programs in place to help people who cannot help themselves. I guarantee you if an elderly person wanted an ID so that they could vote, someone would help to make sure it happened.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And didn't I say if she didn't have her driver's license she would want an ID and we would take her to get one?

I didn't think you were responding to me, but now you admit you don't even live near your MIL. You keep using her as an example, but truthfully your brother in law could take her to get an ID, could he not? It's not like she has no license so there is no way she can vote. She could get an ID if she needed to.

Yes, some have no help. But where there's a will, there is a way. There are all kinds of programs in place to help people who cannot help themselves. I guarantee you if an elderly person wanted an ID so that they could vote, someone would help to make sure it happened.
Quit getting so personal. I said nothing about my mother-in-law not being able to vote. I said I didn't know if she still had a DL. I said I thought she'd vote absentee.

You want to place money on this guarantee of yours?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's just not hard to get a state ID though. I think that's a lot of the point. If a person actually cannot get a state ID...wow, can they even get it together enough to vote?

They dont care if they cant get it together, theyll do it for them, come pick them up and tell who to vote for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Better yet, how's he going to get that check? I would wager that the SC lottery requires someone to show some sort of ID before they give them a check of that size.

Oh yes - from the SC lottery website:
Its such a worthless argument, to understand why dems would not want people to get a free ID (that will actually remove barriers from their lives) is just crazy and shows that they dont care how they get those votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections