Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,722,360 times

Advertisements

Wow!… This was shocking!

Liberal strategist and FOX News contributor Bob Beckel was asked about the latest Gallup Polling numbers today on The Five.

Here’s his response:
Quote:
“It’s over. I don’t have anything else to say. It’s over… If I was looking at those numbers and I was managing a presidential campaign I would be upset. But if those numbers are correct – It is over. It is over.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,578,104 times
Yeah. It's not.

Quote:
But [Frank Newport, Gallup's editor-in-chief] was cautious in interpreting his numbers. Gallup’s poll cheered Romney supporters because it showed Romney gaining ground even after the second debate. But Newport didn’t see it like that. Remember, he warned, it’s a seven-day poll. “I think we’re still seeing leftover positive support for Romney and I don’t think we’re seeing impact yet from the second debate,” he says.
When the man in charge of the poll speculates that he's recording a temporary outlier result, it's probably a temporary outlier result. Moreover, given that the poll puts Obama up by greater than the MOE in every region except the South, even if accurate it simply means that this +7 margin will translate into votes squandered in perma-red states. At most, it means the possibility of an EC/popular vote split, which most supporters of Obama will welcome readily enough as karmic justice for 2000:

Quote:
If Gallup is right, then that looks to me like we’re headed for an electoral college/popular vote split. Last night, I spoke with Frank Newport, editor-in-chief of Gallup, to ask him if I was missing something. He said I wasn’t. “That’s certainly what it looks like,” he says.
And btw, there's a perfectly good thread right at the top of the page for this kind of poll-driven speculation.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,708 times
man you guys kill me. A month ago you're insisting the polls are skewed in favor of Obama, now you're cherry picking the one poll that shows a lead and insisting it is a sure fire indicator of a Romney presidency.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
He said the same things on The Five yesterday. His first reaction 'It's over'. Then went on to say he would need to study the numbers but if they were correct then it was over.

Read yesterday that MSNBC was contemplating a scenario of a tie in electorals and what would happen. Commentary was that MSNBC is now considering the reality that the O'man may not win outright. Or wrong.

Or... sounds like media is starting to hear the music.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,722,360 times
Romney Leads In PA, Leads in Favorability, and On RCP Electoral College Map

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
Actually, he said this yesterday, and I'm positive there's already a thread about it. Somewhere around here.

What he said was IF the poll numbers are correct, and he doesn't think they are, but IF they are, it's over.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Poll shows Romney leading in blue Pennsylvania | WashingtonExaminer.com
But apparently, Obama leads in binding lady parts, or lady part binders, or something.

Per 538:

A Susquehanna poll of Pennsylvania (commissioned by the Republican State Committee of Pennsylvania) showed Mitt Romney four points ahead there — the first poll of any kind showing Mr. Romney with a lead in Pennsylvania since another Susquehanna poll in February.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Per 538:

A Susquehanna poll of Pennsylvania (commissioned by the Republican State Committee of Pennsylvania) showed Mitt Romney four points ahead there — the first poll of any kind showing Mr. Romney with a lead in Pennsylvania since another Susquehanna poll in February.
Whatever...

**Gulp** Romney Builds Gallup Lead Over Obama 52-45 …Update: Rasmussen Has Romney Up 49-47

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...-gallup-52-45/

Here's more from jt800...
Quote:
And, Romney is now leading in Pennsylvania!!!:

Poll shows Romney leading in blue Pennsylvania

He's also leading in Favorability:
Romney's favorability rating tops Obama's

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
Today on The Five, Beckel admitted dems aren't feeling good about poll numbers. But also again, he said the poll numbers aren't necessarily correct and are within the margin of error except for the one.

I enjoy Beckel. He can be a totally empty headed ass on some things, but he at least tolerates and listens to the opinions of his 4 conservative co-hosts. Usually. He's far more knowledgeable about politics than most of the fools bloviating and pontificating.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
[quote=nick is rulz;26583432]man you guys kill me. A month ago you're insisting the polls are skewed in favor of Obama, now you're cherry picking the one poll that shows a lead and insisting it is a sure fire indicator of a Romney presidency.[/quote

I think you better look again. It isn't only one poll that shows him ahead. Maybe a little searching will show you a different picture.

Election 2012 Likely Voters Trial Heat: Obama vs. Romney

For first time, Romney's favorability rating tops Obama's | WashingtonExaminer.com

http://washingtonexaminer.com/poll-s...3#.UICHI-xPE1o

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...on_2012_presid
ential_election/virginia/election_2012_virginia_president

Election 2012: Florida President - Rasmussen Reports™
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections