Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Florida has lots of old people.

They have to use very large print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
It wasn't 10 pages....it was maybe 4...a couple of amendments...
Not according to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Mine was 5 pages,back and front so I guess 10 pages total.I went to vote early Monday,the website said the location I went to had a 1 hour wait at 10:30am,I got there at 11am and waited 2 hours and 45 minutes,they had the website updated at 12:30 saying the wait was 2 hours.Several of the people in the line were saying they should have had a special election for all those amendments.It definitely would not surprise me if a lot of people might not be able to vote due to the long lnes.
Probably depends on which county you're in.

I heard on MSNBC last night FL GOP was FURIOUS with Charlie Crist for extending voting hours in 2008 and blamed Crist for the Obama win 51/48. One GOP operative is alleged to have said "blacks were crawling out from under rocks" to vote. Crist is persona non grata in the FL GOP from what I hear of the FL C-Span callers.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-03-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Hopefully they tossed both of yours.
I know you're kidding, but how would I know? Is there any way to check to see if a ballot was counted? I mean, what if my signature on the envelope was smudged? I've read that often ballots are tossed if the envelope is opened incorrectly at the elections office and it gets torn or a signature is difficult to read. That's why I wrote that, in the future, I won't vote by absentee ballot again.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Florida should replace its ballots with skeeball machines with pictures of the candidates by the holes. It would be just as accurate and a lot more fun.
I like the 7-ELEVEN idea. They have coffee cups in different colors. Blue for Obama, Red for Romney.
Of course, if it were up to Rick Scott, he would probably prefer the methods used in A Clockwork Orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I heard on MSNBC last night FL GOP was FURIOUS with Charlie Crist for extending voting hours in 2008 and blamed Crist for the Obama win 51/48. One GOP operative is alleged to have said "blacks were crawling out from under rocks" to vote. Crist is persona non grata in the FL GOP from what I hear of the FL C-Span callers.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I think people just wanted change. At that time I was a volunteer and was really surprised by how many retirees in my area supported Obama. By the way, I lived in Bonita Springs in conservative Lee County with a Black population of 1% or less and our meetings were packed!

I wonder who said "Blacks were crawling out from under rocks." I never heard that, but it is a terribly racist thing to say.

IMHO extended hours mostly help the working class. I don't know if we had early voting in 2000 but I didn't vote in that election (yes, George W. was my fault!) because I couldn't get to the polls. That's why I now vote early.

From what I remember, Crist was criticized because he welcomed the Obama stimulus money and said it would help save jobs. (So did Paul Ryan, but he lied about it.) In other words, Crist did what was best for Florida. Look at what Palin just said about Chris Christie. These people don't know how to reach across the aisle and work together for the good of the country! So after Crist was called a RINO he left the party and ran as an Independent knowing he couldn't win the Senate race as a Republican running against Rubio.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-03-2012 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: fix all my typos!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Hopefully they tossed both of yours.
Don't worry my two girls and husband voted also. My other daughter is voting on Tuesday. All for Obama.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
The ballot is simple. Just vote yes on all the amendments and vote for everyone on the republican ticket.
Funny, I did the opposite of what you did. We cancelled out your votes.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Maybe it was printed in Spanish and 4 other languages so all the Illegals could read it when they vote ?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The ballot is simple. Just vote yes on all the amendments and vote for everyone on the republican ticket.
You voted yes to give taxpayer money to private religious organizations? You call that "religious freedom?" You voted yes to give foreigners who buy property in Florida or wealthy snowbirds who have 2 or more homes a homestead exemption when the counties are going bankrupt and our schools need funding? I struggled with a couple of the amendments, but I voted yes so the families of brave service people and first responders killed in the line of duty would get a special homestead exemption. I also voted yes so people who served in the military while living in another state could retire to Florida and get an exemption. After all, if they were American heroes in Michigan, they'll be American heroes when they retire to Florida. If it were up to me, every soldier who has lost a limb, has brain damage or was seriously disabled defending our country would get a free house! *God Bless our Troops!*

Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
oddly enough, it was a democrat who screwed up the ballots in palm beach county. evidently, she has screwed up the ballots twice just in this election cycle.
Sad, but true. I had relatives who moved to FL in late 2000 and lived in Palm Beach County. Their sample ballots were different from the ones at the polls that had 2 sides called "Butterfly Ballots."

I am a Democrat, but I don't know what all the fuss is about the size of the ballot. I've heard this over and over on channels like MSNBC. I love Rachel Maddow, but I often disagree with her and the other hosts on MSNBC.

People who have been given the right to vote need to take responsibility and learn what's on the ballot before Election Day and, if they have to work Tuesday, plan a time when they can vote or vote by absentee ballot. I truly believe the GOP has done a lot to suppress votes to stop Obama from winning a second turn, but I don't think needing a photo ID should be a big deal. These changes are good ideas, but they should have been implemented a long time ago, not within a year of a presidential election. The Republicans weren't so concerned about voter ID back in 2010, were they? Still, it's really much ado about nothing.

I keep hearing from people like Al Sharpton that it's traditional in Black communities to vote after church on Sunday before an election. So what? If Jews had a tradition to vote after sundown on Saturday, should the state make an exception for them too? Maybe it's voter suppression and maybe it's not. As President Obama said recently "Voting is the best revenge!" So to everyone who is pissed off, don't complain, just vote!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Florida has lots of old people.

They have to use very large print.
Or they may become easily confused and not fill out the ballot correctly thereby disqualifying the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections