Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,671 times

Advertisements

Since we have to have a presidential election in 2016, what party will take on the Democrats?
I ask since the Democratic party is the only party left at this point in the USA.
My feeling is that if a new party does not step forward to replace the former Republican party then President Obama should be allowed to stay on for a third term.
So I ask you, if there is in fact a new party ready to step up to the plate in 2016, knowing that they will not be the Republican party, who will they be... Or, are we ready to accept the fact that Mr. Obama should stay on until at least 2020? I think he should, based on the amount of damage that has been done. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Here we go with the "Obama needs more terms" talk. Pretty much only the Republican Party as that's just about all it's ever been, especially seeing how people think voting third party is wasting their vote. If that suddenly changed, I'd guess Independant Party or Libertarians.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Are we ready to accept the fact that Mr. Obama should stay on until at least 2020? I think he should, based on the amount of damage that has been done. What do you think?
You believe that Obama should stay on for a third term even with the "ammount of damage" he has done to this nation through his first term? This seems quite odd. Let's see how much more destruction he can cause during his second term before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Hillary will stomp whoever the GOP puts up.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You believe that Obama should stay on for a third term even with the "ammount of damage" he has done to this nation through his first term? This seems quite odd. Let's see how much more destruction he can cause during his second term before we get too far ahead of ourselves.
He was probably referring to the damage done by George W. Bush. Liberals are already calling for a third term for Obama just as I suspected they would. I imagine they will try to come up with a way around the 22nd Amendment as we get closer to 2016. Maybe running Michelle Obama for officiality but Barack Obama still actually being the President.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Much as i like Obama and would probably have no problem backing him for a third term there are rules to follow one of those being 2 terms only,
Going to be somewhat of an anti climax for most righties as they'll finally get to say goodby to President Obama then realize they will now miss their daily fix of hating President Obama , yeah they'll probably hate on President Obamas replacement but it wont be nearly as intense or return the same level of satisfaction as they now derive from their daily bashing and hating President Obama.
Who will the Dems Run against in 2016? most probably still the Republicans.What will be the outcome?If Republicans insist on having only angry old white guys along with Teabaggers and birthers and other extremists as their base? expect a repeat of 2012 as they no longer represent the voting majority of America.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
If it takes over 8 yrs to recover from the so called super damage done by bush... Biggest con job ever was done by obama... Dems look for the hook in your mouth because you have been hooked deep!

If a president cant recover the country in 8 yrs it is not because of the previous president... ITS BECAUSE OF HIM!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Since we have to have a presidential election in 2016, what party will take on the Democrats?
I ask since the Democratic party is the only party left at this point in the USA.
My feeling is that if a new party does not step forward to replace the former Republican party then President Obama should be allowed to stay on for a third term.
So I ask you, if there is in fact a new party ready to step up to the plate in 2016, knowing that they will not be the Republican party, who will they be... Or, are we ready to accept the fact that Mr. Obama should stay on until at least 2020? I think he should, based on the amount of damage that has been done. What do you think?
What are you talking about anyway? First of all: damage, it is time everyone realize most of the mess we still have can no longer be blamed on any old administration and i don't care which administration you are talking about next, do you have any idea what it takes to change the laws so Obama could run again? Maybe you just think he can claim executive order and allow himself to run again. Obviously you don't know a lot of about how the government works. Third you are talking about a third party, this won't happen, if ever, for many decades. We aren't living in the 19th century when the country had maybe 40 states at the most and things were nothing like today...and last, but not least what makes you think either party is dead? Do you remember 2010?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What are you talking about anyway? First of all: damage, it is time everyone realize most of the mess we still have can no longer be blamed on any old administration and i don't care which administration you are talking about next, do you have any idea what it takes to change the laws so Obama could run again? Maybe you just think he can claim executive order and allow himself to run again. Obviously you don't know a lot of about how the government works. Third you are talking about a third party, this won't happen, if ever, for many decades. We aren't living in the 19th century when the country had maybe 40 states at the most and things were nothing like today...and last, but not least what makes you think either party is dead? Do you remember 2010?
Obama will not ever have a 3rd term. Overcoming a Constitutional Amendment is next to impossible to achieve, and this would be needed. Even if the citizens chose to over-ride, Obama would not serve a 3rd term; remember that he is a constitutional scholar, and has a deep respect for it.

Very much depends on if the split in the Republican party can be healed. The run-up to the 1860 elections, when the country was severely split, resulted in the southern Democrats splitting away from the northern Democrats and each presented their own nominee for the election.

The Whigs, which were the leading conservative party, had become so weakened that they, too, were irreparably split; the foundling Republican party was the only one that was not at war with itself going into the election. Abraham Lincoln was the only candidate who had appeal to all political sectors in the north, where, like now, all the large population lived.

Such an election, with essentially 4 parties of almost equal strength competing, is unlikely to happen again, but a possibility remains. If the Libertarians are able to gather enough Republicans into their ranks to actually gain some seats in the 2014 election, there could be a 3-way election in 2016.

But whether or not such a scenario would result in the Republican party's demise is doubtful, I think. The Republicans still have more moderates than extremists in their base. While the party is in trouble, it is nowhere as divided as the Democrats were in 1860, and the nation is also not nearly so bitterly divided. I can't see any single issue we now have that is as divisive as the expansion of slavery was back then.

But until the Republicans can show that they can lead, not just oppose, they are in for a long losing streak ahead. Right now, they are acting just like the Democrats did in 1972, and Obama is not Nixon. Carter's election was a given, considering the damage Nixon did to his party.

The Democrats will still be as strong as they are now in 2016. The Republicans only have 2 years to get their act together. That's a pretty tall order, considering their shrinking base, but it could happen. There is always someone out in the wings who can seize the public's imagination.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If Republicans insist on having only angry old white guys along with Teabaggers and birthers and other extremists as their base? expect a repeat of 2012 as they no longer represent the voting majority of America.
Sadly, for your accurate statement. Except I would anticipate Hillary would add in one or both Carolinas, to the states Obama won in '12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections