Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
47% ..... how fitting !!!
Yes, in a way, it is fitting. Romney raised a perfectly valid point with his '47%' comment. This is a number that was pretty stable at roughly 20% from 1950 to 1990. After 1990 it started going up, and more than doubled to 47 (likely will be a little higher this year).
Tax foundation report on the growth of 'nonpayers' of federal income tax.

It's a very important number in terms of both stability of the fed. tax system, and the De Toqueville tipping point. The number doubled in the last 2 decades, with very little attention paid. So it was an important & valid point from Romney. But Team Obama took a valid point and completely demagogued it, doubtless picking up many a vote. Who knows perhaps, that was the election right there. And in the process, Team Obama made it harder to solve the problem, i.e. to bring the number down.

But it just goes to show how Obama won this. He won on the basis of being a skilled demagogue. He sure didn't win based on being good at governance. Yes, I agree...fitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

For your benefit, I've copied the thread title to this post.

And yes, your tunnel vision is showing.
Wow--so you really cannot see that the underlying meaning is candidate performance? Interesting, but not surprising. LIAMD.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Thumbs up Obama: 1st President since Eisenhower to win 51% TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Wow--so you really cannot see that the underlying meaning is candidate performance? Interesting, but not surprising. LIAMD.
When you're wrong, just double down. So republican of you.

Thread topic: Obama: 1st President since Eisenhower to win 51% TWICE

And it's TRUE. Irrefutable.

So, let's break it down.

First term election results: Obama 2008 wins with 52.87% and a 9.5 million margin in poplular vote. Reagan 1980 wins with 50.75% and 8.4 million popular vote margin.

Advantage: Obama

Re-election results: Obama 2012 wins with 51.06% and 5 million popular vote margin. Reagan wins with 58.77% and 16.9 million popular vote margin.

Advantage: Reagan

Both serve two terms with impressive dual victories.

List of United States presidential elections by popular vote margin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conclusion: Obama is the first president since Eisenhower to win 51% TWICE. Even the very popular Ronald Reagan couldn't achieve that.

I voted for Reagan both times. I voted for Obama both times.

It feels good to be on the winning side. I don't recall the losing side being anywhere near so bitter in 1980 or 1984 as they were in 2008 or 2012, though.

See ya in 3 years and ten months.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Quote:
Focus...

Note the thread topic, please.

Reagan did not reach 51% TWICE.

List of United States presidential elections by popular vote margin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reagan beat the pants off of Obama. Obama can't touch his record.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo
I voted for Reagan both times. I voted for Obama both times.
I think even most CD lefty posters would agree with me that there is a disconnect there. Reagan and Obama would be almost diametrically opposed on a whole range of issues. For example, Reagan, from the beginning, was almost obsessed with cutting tax rates, especially on the rich. Obama, just the reverse.

There's a disconnect, a screw loose, a donut short of a dozen. Oh, but I forgot, this is all off topic. I'm only allowed to talk about '51%.' It's not off topic for you though, am I right? sheesh.....

Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Reagan beat the pants off of Obama.
Reagan never faced Obama.

Quote:
Obama can't touch his record.

He actually surpassed it. He's the 1st president since Eisenhower to win 51% TWICE.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
its a lesson for rep.
rush limbaugh rageaholics types dont vote. u must turn your anger into action.
for the young rep u must stop confusing tolerance with apathy. u must vote.

dems do vote.
its ok to vote color but vote.
dems understand this but rep do not.
a painful lesson.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I think even most CD lefty posters would agree with me that there is a disconnect there. Reagan and Obama would be almost diametrically opposed on a whole range of issues. For example, Reagan, from the beginning, was almost obsessed with cutting tax rates, especially on the rich. Obama, just the reverse.
Oh, yeah?

Reagan, Bush tax concessions haunt Republicans as they eye 'fiscal cliff' - NBC Politics

Quote:
There's a disconnect, a screw loose, a donut short of a dozen. Oh, but I forgot, this is all off topic. I'm only allowed to talk about '51%.' It's not off topic for you though, am I right? sheesh.....

The GOP has loosened a lot of their screws over the past decade. But anyone too young to have been involved over that timespan, can keep doing as Limbaugh tells them.

No, they're still the same ol' GOP

Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah?

Reagan, Bush tax concessions haunt Republicans as they eye 'fiscal cliff' - NBC Politics

The GOP has loosened a lot of their screws over the past decade. But anyone too young to have been involved over that timespan, can keep doing as Limbaugh tells them.

No, they're still the same ol' GOP

You seem to specialize in the non-sequitur. I guess that it all makes perfect sense to someone who voted twice for Reagan, and twice for Obama. I doubt that it makes sense to anyone else.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You seem to specialize in the non-sequitur. I guess that it all makes perfect sense to someone who voted twice for Reagan, and twice for Obama. I doubt that it makes sense to anyone else.

Like I said, you're probably too young to have voted for Reagan. If you had the advantage of perspective over time, you'd see how silly that assertion is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections