Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Senators Hillary Clinton (D-New York) and Chuck Schumer (D-New York) attached the earmark to the Labor-HHS Education appropriations bill that would have given $1 million in taxpayer money to a Woodstock concert museum in Bethel, New York -- which recently hosted an event called "HIPPIEFEST."

Hillary's hippie museum earmark sparks outrage (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Senators Hillary Clinton (D-New York) and Chuck Schumer (D-New York) attached the earmark to the Labor-HHS Education appropriations bill that would have given $1 million in taxpayer money to a Woodstock concert museum in Bethel, New York -- which recently hosted an event called "HIPPIEFEST."

Mccain nailed her on this tonight in the debate!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM

133 posts, read 534,567 times
I think it'd be a pretty cool museum and addition to Bethel, but I don't really think it's worth the $1 million dollars... plenty of better things to be spending the money on.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I think it'd be a pretty cool museum and addition to Bethel, but I don't really think it's worth the $1 million dollars... plenty of better things to be spending the money on.
Definitely best left to the State of NY, or private funding.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
I tell you,I love Hendrix,Santana and others,hell I look like a hippie!,but this is something people are suppose to donate to,not use tax money.This is a perfect example where believing in government redistribution of wealth is wrong because once again we see they misuse it.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
I hate Hillary, but attacking her for a relatively small earmark meant to produce jobs and improve the economy in NY state is silly. I doubt there is one senator who didn't have some sort of pet project. Actually, there is usually little wrong with them. A Senator, prob. on advice of a constituitents letter, deemed it necessary to put a new building on the Land Grant campus, or build a new museum or bridge. Earmarks are actually good ways oof getting federal money allocated to where it is best used. Hillary was simply doing what she was elected to do, help the State of New York. Like it or not, a museum in a small town is a great economic help. Every state and every senator has a project, you prob. live near one. A million dollar earmark is a pitance, nothing. If you spend a million, and produce 3 jobs that pay a good living for the next 50 years, isn't that a good investment for the governemnt to make. That person will pay back taxes, support the consumer economy, keep a smaller town viable, and raise a family. Eventually, the governemtn will see every dime of it back. But something that doesn't make a good story, doesn't make a good candidate. Right?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Definitely best left to the State of NY, or private funding.
Yes Private funding should pay for it.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Hillarys pockets run deep.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I tell you,I love Hendrix,Santana and others,hell I look like a hippie!,but this is something people are suppose to donate to,not use tax money.This is a perfect example where believing in government redistribution of wealth is wrong because once again we see they misuse it.
I have to agree with your sentiments------never mind that Woodstock was an iconic event in US history for better or worse.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:34 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I hate Hillary, but attacking her for a relatively small earmark meant to produce jobs and improve the economy in NY state is silly. I doubt there is one senator who didn't have some sort of pet project. Actually, there is usually little wrong with them. A Senator, prob. on advice of a constituitents letter, deemed it necessary to put a new building on the Land Grant campus, or build a new museum or bridge. Earmarks are actually good ways oof getting federal money allocated to where it is best used. Hillary was simply doing what she was elected to do, help the State of New York. Like it or not, a museum in a small town is a great economic help. Every state and every senator has a project, you prob. live near one. A million dollar earmark is a pitance, nothing. If you spend a million, and produce 3 jobs that pay a good living for the next 50 years, isn't that a good investment for the governemnt to make. That person will pay back taxes, support the consumer economy, keep a smaller town viable, and raise a family. Eventually, the governemtn will see every dime of it back. But something that doesn't make a good story, doesn't make a good candidate. Right?
Wrong... it's spitting on the Constitution. She's not the only one, but it's not a power granted to the Congress under the Constitution. I don't care if it was 1 million dollars to build more beds for sick children, it's not the job of the federal government.

I can't single her out, 100 wrongs don't make a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections