Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Republicans will NEVER win again until they fully support gay marriage and denounce anybody who opposes it. For people under 30, gay marriage is by far the #1 issue and its the issue they are the most passionate about. That generation gets larger and larger every election as more reach 18-years-old. They are all going to vote liberal. They are all going to vote rainbow. Republicans don't stand a chance in 2016, 2020, or 2024. They MUST support gay marriage to even win more than a handful of states.
Here you go again. Gay marriage is certainly not the number one issue for those under 30. Where are you getting your information. Gay rights and gay marriage is a concern for most of us, whether we support it or not, but it isn't the number one issue. I can think of a lot of issues that concern our younger generation: gay rights, gun laws, welfare, Obamacare (actually many are finding out how bad it is and are scared) our involvement in foreign affairs, how they are going to pay back their student loans: these are issues that everyone, young and old are thinking about, especially the 20 and 30 somethings. They are also concerned about race relations, minority issues, the overuse of government assistance by too many. If you think many voters, over 30 or under 30 vote based on one issue you are living with your head in the sand, in my opinion. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,461,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are going to tell me there are many conservatives questioning Cruzs' legality?
yep and i'll supply support for my viewpoint.

here's joseph farah, owner/editor of WND, stating marco rubio is ineligible due to his not having "2 US citizen parents" at the time of birth:

Shocker for GOP on Rubio eligibility

"The new controversy over Rubio’s eligibility hit critical mass a week ago when WND Editor Joseph Farah dropped the bombshell observation that the Florida senator was not eligible to be vice president on Fox News Channel’s “Hannity” during a segment of Florida primary election analysis."

Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
What do you call a lot may I ask?
good question. nearly unanimously those that believe in the "2 US parent" theory have been conservative. i'd consider 90+% of something to be "a lot". or did you want more of an exact number?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
.....but there are not "A Lot" questioning this.
i've got to take off for the afternoon but, if you'd like, i'd be happy to put together a list of conservative sources arguing cruz, rubio and jindal's eligibility for POTUS under the "2 US parent" belief when i return. just ask.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Why would we ask? How many liberals questioned Obama's right to be our President? If there were any, I certainly never heard them or saw any postings questioning his legitimacy? All you have to do is check the response just prior to mine. Depending which side one is on, determines who will cry "non citizen" this works both ways. I am amazed some people do not understand this.
I'm amazed that some people do not recognize sarcasm if there is no emoticon posted.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
there actually is a slight variant in the law concerning this. there is an age/residency restriction for US mothers to automatically confer citizenship to births abroad ( US citizenship for the child could be easily obtained on the return to the US for mothers who did not meet this requirement ). cruz's mother met the requirement, obama's did not. some of the birthers have picked up on this and use it as a reason why cruz is eligible and obama isn't but....... that theory still requires a kenya birth for obama.

and what's the evidence for that?:

kenyan birth:
an admitted hoax birth certificate (bomford), a forgery,with misspelt name in a signature, from a convicted forger ( lucas smith ) and an admitted f*ck-up from a literary assistant ( mariam goderich )

hawaiian birth:
Barackryphal: Barack Obama Was Born in Hawaii

What's the age? His mother was over 18.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
What's the age? His mother was over 18.
10 years residency in US, 5 after the age of 14.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Quote:
Here you go again. Gay marriage is certainly not the number one issue for those under 30. Where are you getting your information. Gay rights and gay marriage is a concern for most of us, whether we support it or not, but it isn't the number one issue. I can think of a lot of issues that concern our younger generation: gay rights, gun laws, welfare, Obamacare (actually many are finding out how bad it is and are scared) our involvement in foreign affairs, how they are going to pay back their student loans: these are issues that everyone, young and old are thinking about, especially the 20 and 30 somethings. They are also concerned about race relations, minority issues, the overuse of government assistance by too many. If you think many voters, over 30 or under 30 vote based on one issue you are living with your head in the sand, in my opinion. I could be wrong.
I completely get what you are saying. However, I want to say many voters do vote on one issue, or at least have a single issue that is make or break for them. For instance, conservative evangelicals will never vote for a candidate that is pro-choice, no matter where they stand on the other issues. Some go as far as to never vote for a Democrat period - even one who is pro-life (this does exist in local races) simply because the Democratic party stands for abortion. For them, that one issue is the litmus test and everything else is secondary. With many younger voters, gay rights is the same for them. They will not vote for a candidate that is anti-gay or even part of a party that has an anti-gay platform regardless of where they stand on the other issues. We are becoming a society that is becoming more and more polarized and there are less moderates who could swing either way. I really wish that social issues would just be out of the picture for national elections because all they do is divide the country and distract from the real issues. Just look at the campaign Obama ran this year, and Hillary will likely do the same in 2016 and win in a landslide.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
From HuffPo...
Quote:
In an interview with ABC's "This Week," longitme Democratic strategist James Carville lauded Cruz for his attitude since taking office in January

“I think he is the most talented and fearless Republican politician I’ve seen in the last 30 years,” Carville said. “I further think that he is going to run for president, and he is going to create something.”
I've read other source where Carville thinks it could be Hilary vs Cruz in 2016

Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Cruz can't run for president because he was born in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections