Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times

Advertisements

Cruz 2016 | National Review Online

If he is going to run with tea party support, then I think Rand Paul would siphon off a bunch of votes, especially from those that are fiscally conservative, but believe the government should mind its own business when it comes to marriage, marijuana, etc..

I really wonder if the birthers are going to come out? If they dont, then it would make one think it was race based with Obama.

Personally, I dont think it shouldnt be an issue, since his mother was a us citizen, but I wonder if the outcry will be consistent?

If he runs, it definitely make things interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post

If he is going to run with tea party support, then I think Rand Paul would siphon off a bunch of votes, especially from those that are fiscally conservative, but believe the government should mind its own business when it comes to marriage, marijuana, etc..

I really wonder if the birthers are going to come out? If they dont, then it would make one think it was race based with Obama.

Personally, I dont think it shouldnt be an issue, since his mother was a us citizen, but I wonder if the outcry will be consistent?

I wondered if there was a National Dog Catcher position.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
He ought not waste his time. We aren't about to vote in someone that far to the right, and he's "off the cliff" to the right.

Or more like "off his rocker" to the right.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He ought not waste his time. We aren't about to vote in someone that far to the right, and he's "off the cliff" to the right.

Or more like "off his rocker" to the right.
No, no, no, no! Don't discourage this! This is exactly the guy we want on the top of the GOP ticket in 2016. It won't matter who is the Democratic nominee if Cruz is the Republican candidate. It will be a blow out of epic proportions. The Tea Party vastly overestimates its numbers, but I don't think we should clue them in on that. Let them believe the country really IS a majority of wingnuts and put thier biggest nut on the top of the ticket. Works for me.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
No, no, no, no! Don't discourage this! This is exactly the guy we want on the top of the GOP ticket in 2016. It won't matter who is the Democratic nominee if Cruz is the Republican candidate. It will be a blow out of epic proportions. The Tea Party vastly overestimates its numbers, but I don't think we should clue them in on that. Let them believe the country really IS a majority of wingnuts and put thier biggest nut on the top of the ticket. Works for me.

Me too!!! To appeal to the female vote lets balance the ticket by putting Michelle Bachman of Minnesota. I'd have suggested Sarah Palin but that joke is getting a little stale.

As noted by a great observer of American politics Patrick Leyton Paulson," A bird with too much right wing tends to fly around in a circle. "

Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,519 times
I just saw this. Being that his popularity among the GOP "base" makes this even a consideration is down right disappointing from a moderates perspective.

It shows not only have they learned nothing over the last several years, but are actually doubling down...

Honestly, I think an old analysis of Romney vs Santorum being the Presidential nominee was right: Neither has a good chance of winning; If it's Romney and he loses, the GOP will believe at its base it wasn't conservative enough, while If it's Santorum and he loses, the GOP will finally see that the Country as a whole fully rejects that level of politics.

So yes, the GOP probably needs a "Crazy" candidate to run for President that lets the Democrats do a massive win not seen in decades (say Regan era) for the base to realize how wrong they are...and if not, the party will implode and fix itself in another way by reforming into a new party per say.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 05-01-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Me too!!! To appeal to the female vote lets balance the ticket by putting Michelle Bachman of Minnesota. I'd have suggested Sarah Palin but that joke is getting a little stale.

As noted by a great observer of American politics Patrick Leyton Paulson," A bird with too much right wing tends to fly around in a circle. "
Palin could be Sec of State! She does have Russian diplomatic experience!

Ok couldn't help myself

Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I just saw this. Being that his popularity among the GOP "base" makes this even a consideration is down right disappointing from a moderates perspective.

It shows not only have they learned nothing over the last several years, but are actually doubling down...

Honestly, I think an old analysis of Romney vs Santorum being the Presidential nominee was right: Neither has a good chance of winning: If it's Romney and he loses, the GOP will believe at its base it wasn't conservative enough. If it's Santorum and he loses, the GOP will finally see that the Country as a whole fully rejects that level of politics.

So yes, the GOP probably needs a "Crazy" candidate to run for President that lets the Democrats do a massive win not seen in decades (say Regan era) for the base to realize how wrong they are...and if not, the party will implode and fix itself in another way by reforming into a new party per say.
The Tea Party is going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the GOP until Republicans kick them to the curb, but the GOP doesn't have the numbers without the TP, so that's probably not going to happen any time soon. But the TP is going to be the downfall of the GOP if they don't.

"The results of the first political science survey of Tea Party activists show that the constituency isn’t going away any time soon—and Republicans hoping the activists will begin to moderate their stances should prepare for disappointment. Based out of the College of William and Mary, the report surveyed more than 11,000 members of FreedomWorks, one of the largest and most influential Tea Party groups. The political scientists also relied on a separate survey of registered voters through the YouGov firm to compare those who identified with the Tea Party movement to those Republicans who did not. [...]

Tea Party activists dominate the Republican Party, and they’re no less willing to compromise with the GOP than they are with Democrats. Simply put, the GOP is too reliant on the Tea Party—and based on these survey results, the Tea Party doesn’t care about the GOP’s fate. It cares about moving the political conversation increasingly rightward."

Three New Facts About the Tea Party

Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post

Won't happen, michelle bachmann didn't get the nomination, so why would cruz?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Thumbs up Cruz considering a run in 2016

Dear GOP:

Please nominate this azzwipe.

yours truly,

Old Gringo

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections