Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
regardless of color? yeah right... Carson's color definitely played a role in his popularity.

..and that speech didn't take guts. It took ego.... that wasn't the place for a speech like that. He knew what he was doing and he executed it to perfection. Book and speaking gigs are on the horizon and he will probably be on Fox News as a pundit for the next few years.

..and did you just make up a strawman to call someone racist? Sheez...

Unfortunately that is where we are at as a nation. Are you going to deny that Al Sharpton's color does not play a role in his popularity among Democrats. I doubt that Dr. Carson will end up as a pundit on Fox News. If he wanted that, he would already have it.

Anyway, it is so easy to malign someone based on an imagined future prediction. Suppose I said, "Feltdesigner will just end up with a high-paid gig on MSNBC ranting against conservatives." That would hardly constitute a counter-argument, would it? The intellectual value of that statement would be nil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Unfortunately that is where we are at as a nation. Are you going to deny that Al Sharpton's color does not play a role in his popularity among Democrats. I doubt that Dr. Carson will end up as a pundit on Fox News. If he wanted that, he would already have it.

Anyway, it is so easy to malign someone based on an imagined future prediction. Suppose I said, "Feltdesigner will just end up with a high-paid gig on MSNBC ranting against conservatives." That would hardly constitute a counter-argument, would it? The intellectual value of that statement would be nil.
I'm not the one saying "regardless of color when talking about Al Sharpton.

..and I agree, it's definitely easy to malign OR praise someone based on imagined future predictions.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Dr. Ben Carson initially got attention for his talk at a prayer breakfast. He went on the talk show circuit, got his message out, and doubtless sold a lot of books.
That's pretty much the CV of 90% of Republican primary candidates these days, so why not go in for the big paycheck? Surely Fox Business has a seat warm for him, if not the big show.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Did I say his color didn't play a part? Has anyone said that? of course not. As for guts versus ego, that is a matter of opinion. Just like a lot of the things our President does, some of us call it arrogance, or ego, if you want to call it that, others would say he has the guts to do whatever.

Will he be a Fox News pundit, I would, personally love to see that and yes, he took advantage of a golden opportunity, is there anything wrong with that? My question still is and you didn't say it, someone else who hasn't come back to answer did: Why would anyone call him crazy?
If you pull a Rick Santorum and link gays to pedophiles and bestiality, you are crazy. So yes Carson is crazy.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If you pull a Rick Santorum and link gays to pedophiles and bestiality, you are crazy. So yes Carson is crazy.
Well maybe crazy's not the best word. Stupid perhaps.

But then that just invites the usual shrill partisan hacks to come back with "hurf durf he was a doctor that must mean he's smart!" ignoring that expertise in one area doesn't automatically translate to another. Whatever, dude said some dumb stuff and it cut short his 15 minutes as the next Great Black Hope. And the cycle begins anew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections