Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
If those four cities are the bulk of the voting populace for TX and reliably go blue from now on, TX may as well be a blue state.
The problem is those 4 cities are not the bulk of the voting populace. Look at a TX district map. Some areas of those 4 cities are, others are not. Case in point, look at San Antonio. Downtown, the south and west sides all vote blue while the north central, NE, and NW votes red. Bottom line, it looks like San Antonio votes blue, but it is almost evenly split. Houston was split by a margin of .10%. 49.4 to 49.3, so I would not get the cart before the horse just yet. Same in the other areas. Dallas swings back and forth. Not the whole "Texas is going blue" mantra the left has been trying to drum up for years now. Their logic, as usual, is based on the politics of race, and they see the steady increase in Hispanic population as the ticket to changing the vote.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,424 times
By the way, now that the election is long over, I think even those of us who voted for Obama can admit that the reaction to the 47% comment was 5 percent valid and 95 percent hot air. Romney made the mistake of talking like an honest politician- it wasn't that he 'didn't care' about 47 percent of the country in the sense that he disregarded their needs and rights as people (though maybe he did, only Romney knows that) - it sounded to me like he was just being frank about the fact that roughly 47 percent of the country was going to vote D no matter what, just like 47 percent of the country was going to vote R no matter what. Anyone involved in political science or campaigning knows that that's mostly true, and the election is all about competing for the tiny slice in the middle.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
American voters are a fickle bunch. What history has shown us is that anything can happen.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The country's political preferences go in cycles, at the moment the majority of the voting public is voting Democrat, sometime in the future that may swing around and the voting majority will vote Republican.
In 2016 IMO Democrats will retain power as the GOP has marginalized its base by going too extreme rightwing and not reflecting/representative of the wishes of the voting majority.
Exactly. The 40s-60s was dominated by Democrats, 70s GOP, 80s GOP, 90s Dems, 2000s GOP, 2010s will be the decade of the Dems. I also find it very interesting a lot of the dedicated Republicans on here claim that the GOP needs to go more to the right to win elections. I find that to be wrong on many levels. If you look at the 20th century, the GOP won elections when it was to the left of the current GOP. Maybe the GOP needs to start looking at people like Eisenhower for inspiration again. The last time the GOP put forward a presidential candidate who was a real moderate was Nixon

Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
The main thing the GOP needs to do is court the non-white vote. Romney won the white vote by 60%, which is a landslide number. He lost the black vote by 90%, Hispanic by 70%, and Asian by 73%, which together made up about a quarter of the electorate.

I believe the party is capable of doing this. There are already quite a few non-white GOP rising stars out there, but it is probably going to be at least a 2 decade process for the GOP to do it.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did vote for him, feeling I had no choice, but the 47% really did hurt him. I don't know if I would say it cost him the election, but it certainly cost him a lot of votes. I know the Democrats want to believe the Republican party is terminally ill, but they really do need to accept Obama was given a second change, mainly because of a crappy opponent.
Romney was a crappy candidate, agreed. However, he was a head and shoulders above the other clowns. That was truly a parade of fools. Therein lies the problem with the GOP.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Sure when you have a president leaving office and things are bad then people want a change. Its independents that have put most modern presidents in office. Nixon>Carter >Reagan>Bush I > Clinton >Bush>Obama. Of those only Reagan was more popular when he left than when he came into office. Last I hear Obama was dropping monthly. They say all politics is local and republicans have done every well last two election cycles in state houses.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The GOP took the House by appealing to a narrow band of extremist in local elections. That's a decent strategy when only the diehard ideologues are paying attention. How did that work in the national election?
Obama won by 3%, you think that is some kind of overwhelming victory that means the entire country will never vote Republican again? You think that once people start having to pay more for worse health care coverage thanks to Obamacare they won't hold the Democrats responsible?

Of course with overwhelming media bias in favor of the left it's an uphill battle for anyone without a (D) after their name.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Obama won by 3%, you think that is some kind of overwhelming victory that means the entire country will never vote Republican again?.
19 states blue since 1988, plus NM and VA, gone blue now due to demographics long-term start Dems at about 260.

21 DEPOPULATED GOP states red since 1988 give them 180. (GOP needs to get bison a vote, or the Plains is a big so what!!)

Lets see, if one starts with just 10 to go, 1 with 90 to go, 10 or so swing states, how hard is it to get 10? Strategy: Advertise full-tilt in all ten, and force GOP to run the table. Essentially, GOP odds of 270 are 1/2 to the 10th power..that would be 1 in 1,024. They must win ten of ten swing states.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Romney was a crappy candidate, agreed. However, he was a head and shoulders above the other clowns. That was truly a parade of fools. Therein lies the problem with the GOP.
Pres Obama was arguably crappy candidate too. After an initial stratospheric approval rating he settled into sub-50 pct approval for most of his first term. But he ran a good campaign. His use of Hollywood was especially effective among the youth vote. That's how we got to where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections