Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,355,962 times

Advertisements

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor loses Virginia GOP primary, AP reports | Fox News

GOP Establishment Majority Leader is defeated by a first time Tea Party candidate in a landslide. I can't wait for November. The citizenry is angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,486,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Pretty much. But dont worry, Im not singling you out. Its all you liberals and the establishment. You're all everything I said you are.
Everything you said they are, but so much more. Couldn't possibly think of everything they are.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 PM

867 posts, read 912,348 times
Wow, I'm shocked by this. To be honest, I could imagine myself voting for Eric Cantor for president. However, I'm moderate...I actually like establishment republicans...but I guess the point is that were I less moderate and more right I would like this news.

Is Rick Santorum considered establishment? I wanted him to run against Obama and not Romney.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
What is the Tea Party's function? I really can't see how they are any different from establishment Republicans, except they are more extreme in their views, bordering on fascist, if they aren't already. If Rand Paul was supposed to be the pure standard of what being tea party is all about, then by all counts the tea party just failed, Paul became a war hawk already. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I got fooled once, not gonna happen a second time.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,268,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I don't know if this is good news. I was never a Eric Cantor supporter, but with this election the country has just gotten a little bit more divisive. If congressional representatives refuse to talk to each other or compromise, then how can democracy function? I'm not opposed to out with old and in with the new, but electing people who dislike government to government positions makes no sense to me.
More and more on both sides people are waking up to the fact the Tea Party is nothing but a lose confederation of loons hell bent on destruction of not only the Republican Party but the whole US government if that is what it takes to reach their goals.

Having their behinds whipped twice by the naïf Obama, and seeing perfectly good candidates (Ted Lugar) who would have won elections and been good for the party/country pushed aside by the antics of the Tea Party has in some ways taught Republicans much. Sadly because most districts in the USA are gerrymandered and or so tightly drawn it only takes a slim majority of loons to upset the apple cart you get results like this.

Tea Party likes to think it can hold back the forces every single sane Republican knows are coming. Gay marriage/equality? Stick a fork in it that is done. Immigration? Either shortly before the 2016 election or just afterwards it is going to happen. In fact do not be a bit surprised if after the primary season is over that movement begins. Now that Eric Cantor seems to be heading for the door at the end of this year he would be wise to get his own back and move the thing along.

A bulk of Republicans especially those who are tail end Boomers know the country is changing demographically and so must the party if it is ever to be more again than merely the opposition in the House.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,548,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The citizenry is angry.
This is why the tea party is dead: Because you presume to speak for everyone, and because you are driven not by reason, but by emotion.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,902,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What is the Tea Party's function? I really can't see how they are any different from establishment Republicans, except they are more extreme in their views, bordering on fascist, if they aren't already. If Rand Paul was supposed to be the pure standard of what being tea party is all about, then by all counts the tea party just failed, Paul became a war hawk already. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I got fooled once, not gonna happen a second time.
The Tea Party's function is to drag the party so far to the right that establishment Republicans look like flaming progressives by comparison. Which they are doing admirably well.

Mainstream Republicans are probably cowering under their beds in fear of the monster they created.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,099,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
With more than half the precincts in Eric Cantor is trailing his Primary challenge 58-42 according to the Virginia BOE, WOW

Virginia Board of Elections - Election Night Results - June 10th, 2014
Outstanding!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Tea Party's function is to drag the party so far to the right that establishment Republicans look like flaming progressives by comparison. Which they are doing admirably well.

Mainstream Republicans are probably cowering under their beds in fear of the monster they created.
I honestly hope that this guy is so far right that the Democrat wins. Maybe he should have a microphone stuck to his mouth for a couple days, let him talk; then maybe the Cliven Bundy Effect will happen

Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,060,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's what I care about too. Brings me joy.
Joy? How so? IMO I don't care much about it all but to bring me joy is my kids doing well. Not some politician who gets knocked out. Hell his buddies will take care of him like all the rest unless he is seeing jail time like JJ Jr. Now that doesn't give me joy........just thankful that at least some part of the law is still in place. Not much left with these crooks only thing we can do anymore is to vote em out so I guess your joy is part of it so I will stand down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections