Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Refuse to give up a portion of your labor to the government and see what a free man you are.
Refuse to give up property taxes and see how much land you own.
No thank you, I like having a military, public education, paved roads, a police and fire department that doesn't ask for a credit card payment first before coming to help. You know, those things taxes pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm NOT a taker and my money is confiscated to pay for the poor who do nothing to contribute to society. If I don't pay taxes I could be thrown in jail. If a poor person can't pay, they get more.

What do you think? Am I a slave?
Which means you hate the elderly, military, and disabled.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
False, I do believe in personal responsibility, I do not believe in selfishness, which is what Rand advocated.
And you don't think it's selfish when people want a government who will confiscate from working people to give to them.

I pass these types every day, ya, just sitting there on the front steps watching the working fools drive by.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
I'm NOT a taker and my money is confiscated to pay for the poor who do nothing to contribute to society. If I don't pay taxes I could be thrown in jail. If a poor person can't pay, they get more.

What do you think? Am I a slave?
Pfft... Most of those poor actually work, but we've been over those facts before and nobody cares. The right-wing vision of entire cities full of Cadillac driving "baby-mamas" will never die, no matter how many facts are presented that prove otherwise.

Remember, 76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits.

But nobody cares... because it's about all those "poor, lazy people who ain't working..." right...

Who receives government benefits, in six charts - The Washington Post

Your Assumptions About Welfare Recipients Are Wrong | ThinkProgress

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities

And you are not a slave. You are allowed to vote. You are allowed to move, travel, and freely associate with people. You are allowed to earn money and own property. You are allowed to make decisions in your own life. You are NOT forced to live in a given location, work for somebody else without pay, nor forced to be subjected to beatings and other such abuse every day. If you honestly think that paying taxes makes you a slave, you have NO idea what slavery is like... feel free to move to Somalia - a tax free location - to bask in the wonders of "freedom" if you choose.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Which means you hate the elderly, military, and disabled.
How many times we been through this. I don't say what you want to hear so you hide behind the elderly, military, oh you forgot the children this time.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
I'll push her philosophy for less than a half million dollars. Say a quarter of a million dollars.

"I'm safe on board, so pull up the lifeline."

That's it. Easiest quarter million dollars I ever made.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
But you refuse to see the selfishness "and greed" of the people who support big government and government dependency.

“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
-- Thomas Sowell
Who said that? I am very well aware there are selfishness and greed within our government, those are two common traits in many Americans.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Pfft... Most of those poor actually work, but we've been over those facts before and nobody cares. The right-wing vision of entire cities full of Cadillac driving "baby-mamas" will never die, no matter how many facts are presented that prove otherwise.
Tell that to people who pass those types sitting on their front porch everyday watching working people driving to and from work.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Who said that? I am very well aware there are selfishness and greed within our government, those are two common traits in many Americans.
Exactly and why we should want smaller government. Unfortunately they learned they can buy the votes of the people who don't want to work and those people learned their votes can be bought.

So if you are going to slam "selfishness". At least Rand is truthful to human nature and believes if you want it, work for it.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Tell that to people who pass those types sitting on their front porch everyday watching working people driving to and from work.
Lol... has it occurred to you that they might work part-time or night shift? Oh, but that's okay - let's substitute groundless, stereotypical assumptions about "those people" for the facts and pretend that makes sense.

We get - you don't like your tax dollars going to support others. Right... But, I'm sure you expect your roads to be paved, the police to arrive at your house if needed, and so on.

Either man up and move to Somalia - land of tax-free existence, or quit whining about being a "slave" when you pay your taxes since you're just as much of a "taker" as everyone else who drives the roads or uses any public services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections