Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How many times we been through this. I don't say what you want to hear so you hide behind the elderly, military, oh you forgot the children this time.
No, I am just defining who the takers are that you keep trying to demonize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Ayn Rand's philosophy has been a significant influence among libertarians and American conservatives.

What Rand advocates is an approach to life that’s unlike anything you’ve ever heard before.

- Follow reason, not whims or faith.
- Work hard to achieve a life of purpose and productiveness.
- Earn genuine self-esteem.
- Pursue your own happiness.
- Prosper by treating others as individuals, trading value for value.
It has worked well for me.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

And you are not a slave. You are allowed to vote.
Why bother when people can vote without an ID. If you are honest you would admit why democrats don't want voter ID's. Or are you going to stand behind poor and black people think it's too hard to do that?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Exactly and why we should want smaller government. Unfortunately they learned they can buy the votes of the people who don't want to work and those people learned their votes can be bought.

So if you are going to slam "selfishness". At least Rand is truthful to human nature and believes if you want it, work for it.
If you want it, work for it, and take advantage of everyone around you, the me, myself, and I way from Ayn Rand.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Marx and Rand both have terrible ideas. The difference is that Democratic Party doesn't take Marx seriously, but the Republican Party does take Rand seriously.
Pfffft.... Lol.
Almost blew coffee outta my nose on that one.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Because her philosophy is at the root of almost every problem in this nation, even if the people who are behaving selfishly don't realize it.

The key tenant of Objectivism can be boiled down to "being selfish is okay." In short, do whatever you want if it makes you happy.

With all the problems this nation faces, I don't see how anyone could support introducing her philosophy into schools except as a warning - in short, teaching it the same way people are taught about the Nazis. The last thing we need is more selfish "makers" trying to stick knives in the back of everyone else, who they (of course) consider "takers."
Many things are introduced in the classroom, distasteful though they may be. Atlas Shrugged was a rather boring book but Rand did offer up some interesting ideas. Exposure to them is not going to hurt students. They might actually learn critical thinking skills.

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Ayn Rand's philosophy has been a significant influence among libertarians and American conservatives.

What Rand advocates is an approach to life that’s unlike anything you’ve ever heard before.

- Follow reason, not whims or faith.
- Work hard to achieve a life of purpose and productiveness.
- Earn genuine self-esteem.
- Pursue your own happiness.
- Prosper by treating others as individuals, trading value for value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It has worked well for me.
A successful business is one that serves it's customers well.... value for value

It worked well for me too.

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
I'm NOT a taker and my money is confiscated to pay for the poor who do nothing to contribute to society. If I don't pay taxes I could be thrown in jail. If a poor person can't pay, they get more.

What do you think? Am I a slave?
No, just someone who pays taxes like everyone else but whines about it more.

You seem to think your government is responsible for keeping you happy, and that you shouldn't have to pay taxes on the grounds it makes you sad. You are wrong. The government is not your mommy, its job is not to keep you from being sad.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Why bother when people can vote without an ID. If you are honest you would admit why democrats don't want voter ID's. Or are you going to stand behind poor and black people think it's too hard to do that?
Lol... Now you're just making stuff up since you can't even address the problems.

We get it - you hate "liberals" and "those people" and feel that paying taxes "makes you a slave" - but, of course, you expect your roads to be paved, your utilities to work, the police and firemen to come to your house, your social security and medicare to be funded even after you're old and no longer productive, and so on. Nothing but hypocrisy.

You know what? You can always move. Feel free to move to some government-free hole of a nation where you can bask in your own glory as a "maker" and never have to pay taxes again... well, you might have to pay protection money to the local warlord, but that's a small price to pay not have to support "those people" isn't it? Get real - man up or quit whining!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Ayn Rand who's family was devastated by the communist revolution of 1917

Objectivism is rational self-interest and self-responsibility – the idea that no person is any other person’s slave. The virtues of her philosophy are principled policies based on rational assessment: rationality, productiveness, honesty (in order to rationally make the best decisions we must be privy to the facts), integrity, independence, justice, and pride. The constitutional protection of individual rights to life, liberty, and property, and limited government.

Rand, Ayn Alissa*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

Liberals are irrational self-interest and government dependence.
Rand was a reactionary. Her philosophy was inherently extremist and therefore flawed. Moreover, while she claimed that her ideas followed the rules of logic, they actually did not. Her imaginary societies, because she envisions two different societies, are impossible, in the same sense that the societies that Marx posited, were impossible. They are both positing the same societies, only from completely opposite perspectives.

So, Objectivism is just as irrational as Marxism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections