Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Voter fraud isn't a real thing?

Imagine a liquor store owner who never checks anyone's ID. Seeing that this provides incentives to buy liquor illegally, one is tempted to ask the liquor store owner if anyone ever takes advantage of this. The owner says "why, I've never caught anyone buying liquor underage! I can't point to a single example of that happening, so it must not be a problem"

Because someone will point it out, obviously voting is a fundamental right and liquor is not, but that fact is completely irrelevant to the point. The liquor store owner didn't think anyone purchased liquor underage since he never saw anyone's ID! How would he know? The point is, if you do nothing to detect voter fraud, then obviously you will not turn up any examples of voter fraud!
Voter fraud isn't a real issue, besides the actual cases of voter fraud that are found, which is very limiting, a photo ID wouldn't have prevented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Whistleblower: Obama blocking voter roll cleanup

'We actually have Obamacare because of fraud'

"With critical midterm elections less than four weeks away, the failure to scrutinize voter registrations and clean up voter rolls leaves our system vulnerable to voter fraud, and a Justice Department whistleblower says the Obama administration is actively trying to stop states from bringing records up to date and ensure only eligible voters are casting ballots."

I also heard if someone calls you and asks you if you are going to vote always say------"yes." If you say no they may go vote for you and they do know how to do it. Say yes even if you aren't going to vote unless you want someone else voting in your name.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

'We actually have Obamacare because of fraud'

"With critical midterm elections less than four weeks away, the failure to scrutinize voter registrations and clean up voter rolls leaves our system vulnerable to voter fraud, and a Justice Department whistleblower says the Obama administration is actively trying to stop states from bringing records up to date and ensure only eligible voters are casting ballots."

I also heard if someone calls you and asks you if you are going to vote always say------"yes." If you say no they may go vote for you and they do know how to do it. Say yes even if you aren't going to vote unless you want someone else voting in your name.
Seeing the article uses the Al Franken 1099 felon votes lie, I can only assume the rest of this article is a lie as well.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Whomever thinks people who have no ID really want to stand in line a few hours for ideas they probably know little about are foolish.

People on the other side who think illegals are coming in any significant number to nullify your vote, are paranoid.

The only fraud I've ever heard of was landlords voting as their tenants (R)

Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Voter fraud isn't a real issue, besides the actual cases of voter fraud that are found, which is very limiting, a photo ID wouldn't have prevented.
You totally missed my point. What I'm saying is that we're not finding the cases of voter fraud that could have been prevented by checking ID because, well, we're not checking ID! That doesn't mean they don't exist. The lack of evidence is a product of us taking no steps that could produce such evidence.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

This shouldn't surprise anyone. If I wanted a Voter ID law in my state, I'd go about it differently that the GOP has in Wisconsin, Texas, and other states. First, I'd round up actual proof (and I don't mean one or two solitary cases) that voter fraud was occurring under existing laws that don't require ID to cast a ballot. The GOP dominated legislatures that have enacted these laws don't have this proof simply because there is no significant voter fraud occurring.
How do you prove voter fraud without identifying the voter? This is not a crime like murder where you have a dead body and know it happened. If you want an analogy here it's like saying no one drives trhough stop signs because so few people are ticketed for it. Then you're asking for proof on how many people drive through stop signs each day but denying them the tools to observe those stop signs.

We all know voter fraud exists, it's the extent that is in question and no one has the answer to that. What we do know is it doesn't have to be much when 500 votes decide a Presidential election as it did in 2000.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No. They are recognizing it as a "poll tax".
Doesn't matter what you do, the left will never be happy.

In PA if you didn't have an acceptable form of ID which included a college ID or long term care home ID this was the procedure.

Firstly the more substantial documentation like a BC for secure ID's is a federal requirement. If you did not have a BC you needed to bring your SS card and two other forms of documentation like a utility bill. You first applied for the regular ID, if you did not have a BC they would try obtain it for you. In the unlikely event the could not obtain the BC you could then apply for the voting only ID which was good for ten years and only required the SS number and other minor documentation. This was all done in one trip to the licensing center and if there was any issue they would take your picture and mail the ID to you once it was cleared up.

Quote:
You can get a photo ID without it being a drivers license. And if concerned about a "poll tax" make it free.
There is no state with voter ID that is charging for the ID itself if you need it for voting.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
You totally missed my point. What I'm saying is that we're not finding the cases of voter fraud that could have been prevented by checking ID because, well, we're not checking ID! That doesn't mean they don't exist. The lack of evidence is a product of us taking no steps that could produce such evidence.
There has been lots of investigations into voter fraud each election and it rarely turns up any real voter fraud, and went actual voter fraud do turn up, a photo ID wouldn't have prevented anything.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Doesn't matter what you do, the left will never be happy.

In PA if you didn't have an acceptable form of ID which included a college ID or long term care home ID this was the procedure.

Firstly the more substantial documentation like a BC for secure ID's is a federal requirement. If you did not have a BC you needed to bring your SS card and two other forms of documentation like a utility bill. You first applied for the regular ID, if you did not have a BC they would try obtain it for you. In the unlikely event the could not obtain the BC you could then apply for the voting only ID which was good for ten years and only required the SS number and other minor documentation. This was all done in one trip to the licensing center and if there was any issue they would take your picture and mail the ID to you once it was cleared up.

There is no state with voter ID that is charging for the ID itself if you need it for voting.
The reason voter ID laws get shot down is that they requite it to be a license from the DMV requiring a BC and SS card. If more states tried to do it like PA then it wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't prevent anything, but it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
... It wouldn't prevent anything,
How many fraudulent votes cast in Florida during the 2000 election would have been prevented by voter ID?

Quote:
but it wouldn't be an issue.
...Accept for those that sued the state of PA to get the law overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections