Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I noticed that Edwards and Obama were kind of chummy with each other, and they were beating up on Hillary. I wonder if there is some kind of negotiations going on for Edwards to pledge support to Obama at the last minute if the polls continue to show Edwards lagging hopelessly...perhaps in exchange for him earning a slot as VP candidate or as member of Obama's cabinet.

On the GOP side, a Huckabee-Giuliani ticket will be more palatable to the broad spectrum of Republicans. It will reunite the religious conservatives who support Huckabee with the Wall Street moderate Republicans that back Giuliani. This ticket would make sense.
i agree--and tho i have never voted republican----your proposed combo is more sensible than anyone else running----barack-edwards----scares me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't have a problem with class warfare. Class warfare is what we need. The Republicans declared war on the working class 8 years ago. It is time for the working people to declare war on the republicans now. BTW who was the idiot Republican that defended the big drug companies tonight?
Republicans declared class warefare 28 years ago if not earlier. There will always be class warfare because there will always be rich and poor. The rich keep finding ways to control the system, get unreasonable tax breaks and manipulate the masses through business policies, and the poor keep fighting back as best they can.

The big difference between years past though is that the war on terror is a nice big distraction from economic abuses done by those with the money and power.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 AM

66 posts, read 341,700 times
I thought Giuliani was head and shoulders above the other Republicans. McCain and Romney were the big losers. Romney looked like a spoiled and anal rich guy and McCain is a mean old fart. I say this as a diehard Republican. There will be a big backlash to McCain when he gets away from the hacks working in the New Hampshire media. Republicans in Washington dislike McCain and he showed why in the debate. Giuliani is the only one to save the Republicans in November.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
John Edwards was the best amomg the Democrats, but RON PAUL was the best overall.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Mr. Edwards gave a good and at times passionate performance-that was probably his best thus far. Mr. Obama was strangely hollow and lackluster, and again IMHO shows he is not ready to be President. Mrs. Clinton was on the attack- and her offensive against Obama is likely to escalate in the future.

In the general election any Republican and their vaunted smear machine will have a field day if Mr. Obama is the nominee.
I feel the Democrats in these early primary states to be naive at best. Do they really believe a man with the middle name 'Hussein' has a chance being elected President a mere 7 years after Sept 11th?

I think Mr. Obama would be lucky to carry the states that Kerry won in 2004- and Wisconsin would be tough. Obama would not carry Ohio, or Florida, nor increasingly 'blue states like AZ, NV, Colorado or Virginia. The Democrats will likely be defeated if Obama is the nominee.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
You can only speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Do they really believe a man with the middle name 'Hussein' has a chance being elected President a mere 7 years after Sept 11th?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
This is the first debate I've watched this time around.

The Dem debate was interesting. Edwards was really strong which I wasn't expecting and Obama was solid. Bill Richardson didn't seem to be listening to the answers of the others and Hillary just came across as shrill. Tell me again why she claims to be so "experienced" in contrast to Edwards and Obama? None of them have much experience beyond short Congressional stints?

Granted I was doing some flipping to the football games but did the Dems get asked about immigration? This is a bit issue for me and I'd like to know where they all stand.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
You can only speak for yourself.
I being practical and pragmatic- to me it makes no difference- to the average person living away from the cosmopolitan coasts it will, and anyone who feels differently is deluding themselves. The GOP smear machine will be in full war gear, and will be licking their chops.

Mr. Obama's middle name is less important then the substance any candidate speaks thereof.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
I being practical and pragmatic- to me it makes no difference- to the average person living away from the cosmopolitan coasts it will, and anyone who feels differently is deluding themselves. The GOP smear machine will be in full war gear, and will be licking their chops.

Mr. Obama's middle name is less important then the substance any candidate speaks thereof.
I would love to see statistical evidence showing that middle Americans will not vote for a person because of his name. If you have such evidence, please present it here. If you have none, then I suspect you are merely projecting your own prejudices.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I feel he is really passionate but I don't think comparing him to JFK is a good comparison.

JFK was President in a different time, before the 24-hour news cycle and the Internet. A President didn't have to be "on his game" all the time in the 1960s. Now it's not an option to come in with little experience and a lot of passion.

Obama does give fantastic speeches. He's really gifted in that way. With a few more years in the Senate or maybe a stint as VP, he might make an excellent President.
JFK was a smart guy, and his greatest gift to the US was inspiring the American people. But honestly... his accomplishments were relatively few. Johnson (who was arguably a nutcase) did more on Civil Rights than Kennedy ever did. I think people remember JFK with such fondness because of his assassination. People felt like a President of great potential had been taken from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections