Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Is Hillary the inevitable Democratic nominee for 2016? I know people thought she was in 2008 but Obama came in from out of nowhere and took her out. Personally I like Hillary but I don't really like Presidential dynasties (No Clintons or Bushes). I will probably end up voting for her anyway but I want to know does everybody think she is inevitable or will somebody come in from out of nowhere like Obama did?

Whoever the Democrat is they will probably win in a landslide being that Obama will likely leave office on a high note (recovering economy, no war) and I don't think America is ready for another Republican quite yet. The Republicans will also probably run on culture war issues which will alienate everyone outside the South.

With that in mind, the Democratic primary will be the most important election in determining who the next President will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Watch the news lately? She lies so much that she can't even keep her stories straight.

Sad that we have such low expectations on Presidental candidates.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Yes

She will be the first woman President in this country's history. There isn't a Republican alive who can beat her. Republicans know this, and are in a panic, working 24/7 obsessing on how to discredit her with nonsense like that email non-issue.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
It's truly a shame that so many people are putting their hopes in Clinton. And, for what? Because she's a woman? Oooh, let's make history. People complain about age, but Hillary is older. How about honesty and credibility? Please don't tell me she has good credibility.

If she turns out to be the most qualified, then so be it. I just hate this cult-like obsession over her like she is the best thing to ever walk into the halls of government. It also sucks that so many people will line up to vote for her for no other reason than she is a Democrat or a woman. Are we really this shallow as a nation? Or are too many people wrapped up in all the BS we've been fed for the past decade or so? I know some people are, but is it really enough to sway an election? If so, that is pathetic.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Are we really this shallow as a nation?
Yes, now and then.

And that's why we have a Constitution with checks and balances, because humans beings, any nation any time in history, are that shallow.

As an independent, I don't assign any value to the terms "left" and "right" in politics.

But to placate those who do, I view Mrs Clinton a bit to the right of Mr Bush, and I think we would have four more productive years, albeit very slowly, like we've had since 2011, of Constitutional government, with Mrs Clinton as president (she does have some pair of balls) and a Republican House, fighting her tooth and nail every step of the way, and a 41-59 or tighter split in the Senate (doesn't really matter which way).

It's ugly, sometimes stupid, but that's the only way the nation as a whole benefits.

And they still rule from the grave.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I had not heard much out of Jim Webb, but apparently he is not yet throwing in the towel:

Jim Webb lines up primary state visits | WTVR.com

I don't think it's impossible that Webb could do to her what Obama did in 2008, just because of all the negatives on her ledger--baggage going back to AR, not a great campaigner, and the whole 'Clinton-Bush' fatigue factor.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
It's truly a shame that so many people are putting their hopes in Clinton. And, for what? Because she's a woman? Oooh, let's make history. People complain about age, but Hillary is older. How about honesty and credibility? Please don't tell me she has good credibility.

If she turns out to be the most qualified, then so be it. I just hate this cult-like obsession over her like she is the best thing to ever walk into the halls of government. It also sucks that so many people will line up to vote for her for no other reason than she is a Democrat or a woman. Are we really this shallow as a nation? Or are too many people wrapped up in all the BS we've been fed for the past decade or so? I know some people are, but is it really enough to sway an election? If so, that is pathetic.

Both Clinton's are highly respected around the world. Both Clinton's are very smart and politically wise and understand how other country's think. We need smart respected people in power. Doesn't matter to me the party affiliation.I thought about McCAIN and then he said"economics are not my strong suit"

Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Is Hillary the inevitable Democratic nominee for 2016? I know people thought she was in 2008 but Obama came in from out of nowhere and took her out. Personally I like Hillary but I don't really like Presidential dynasties (No Clintons or Bushes). I will probably end up voting for her anyway but I want to know does everybody think she is inevitable or will somebody come in from out of nowhere like Obama did?

Whoever the Democrat is they will probably win in a landslide being that Obama will likely leave office on a high note (recovering economy, no war) and I don't think America is ready for another Republican quite yet. The Republicans will also probably run on culture war issues which will alienate everyone outside the South.

With that in mind, the Democratic primary will be the most important election in determining who the next President will be.

People that vote for Presidential dynasties create Presidential Dynasties.

Hilary has shown herself not a good choice.
We do not need a cult of personality again.

We need a Leader.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I was talking to a guy the other day, typical lo-info voter who gets all of his political news from comedy shows. He was asking me what I thought about Hillary. He said 'if electing Hillary means getting Bill back in, that sounds good to me." And he explained that he always saw Bill as a 'normal guy' that he could have a beer with, plus Bill "ran the economy."

That is going to be a powerful weapon for Hillary, especially since she is hiring all of Obama's campaign consultants. They are masters of appealing to low info voters.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:

There is no cult-like obsession over Hillary Clinton.
Clinton simply enjoys such widespread popularity right now that her numbers make both Republican and Democratic rivals very cautious at the moment. Getting into the race too soon is more dangerous than taking the time to plan, weigh the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, and raise more money. More money is always needed at this point in time.

Will Hillary's current favorability change in later polls? With no doubt. She could become even for favorable than at present, or less; each is equally possible.

Her gender doesn't make much difference. Everyone on either side believes we will have a female President pretty soon regardless of Hillary's choice to run or not; Bachmann, Palin, Warren, and a host of other women who are prominent in our current politics have created the acceptance of the fact that a woman will eventually win the White House. If not in 2016, it could happen in 2020 or afterward.

Familiarity, i believe, is going to be more important than any other factor in 2016. Bush was relatively unknown in 2000, Obama even less so in 2008, and a host of newcomers came forth in 2012 in the GOP in 2012, but the most familiar, Romney, won the nomination. I think 2016 will be the year when the voters want someone they know everything, good or bad, about over another unknown who packs along a surprise that's uncovered part-way through the campaigns.

I can't say whether that is pathetic or not, but I think the voters want the comfort of some assurance and familiarity over more newbie experimentation for the next 4 years, and that's not necessarily pathetic at all. But even if it is, Clinton is most likely to be the next Prez, and you'll be doomed to 4 more years of discontent.

In these times, no candidate is going to pull off a landslide. Half of us are going to be quite disappointed no matter what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections