Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
Good question. Instead of starting our own third party, we are coming close to taking over the whole Republican Party.
Guess that is why Romney is way ahead of Paul and the rest of the pack and will win the GOP nomination. Paul is a RINO, even the conservative OP see that fact. Paul and his fan club should split with the GOP and form their own Party, and for them to ever gain any real power they will have to start at the grass roots (local) level first, and then expand to the State and then Federal levels. The reason for that is a simple one, if Paul got elected he would get Nothing done because for the simple fact that neither the Dems of Repubs would support his ideas in Congress and that would be that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Despite being surprised to see my 2008 thread resurrected, here it is 2012, and another presidential election upon us, where are the Libertarians running for local offices around the country? Don't you think you need that kind of structure to build a Presidential run?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
The problem is that you need govt that works at the local level. The libertarians cant get around this as a real issue. MY looking into the ideals back in the 70's when there was high unemployment rising prices and a war no one wanted showed me that local issues need to be discussed. Mr. La Rouch(sic) didnt give me the confidence to continue to follow. Dr. Paul has that same problem for me. I find him to be just another Repub., after this weekend agreeing to a govt invasion of a womens heath in Texas. The idea of a co. being able to take money out of another co and basicly stealing the pension and healthcare funds and its assests and claiming its part of the capitolistic system is wrong. The mafia did that too the unions in the 70's and they went to jail for it.
So there is nothing new in what he says.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
For you guys comparing Reagans foreign policy to Pauls, I got three words for you ( Operation Urgent Fury), you might want to check your history. The biggest critisism against Reagan was his spending on the Military he was called a war monger. He believed in a huge military , Peace through Strength. Paul is closer to Jimmy Carter than he is Reagan when it comes to our military.

Actually, Reagan was a warmonger, a total stooge for the military-industrial complex. He even violated the U.S. Constitution (the Boland Amendment) in order to fund the wars in Central America. I'm still waiting for Daniel Ortega and his horde of Sandanistas to invade.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But I'm not saying that even though I agree with you. I'm saying they should start building a party that just doesn't jump in when there is a presidential race. In other words, if they believe in Libertarian ideas why aren't they developing a libertarian platform and a libertarian party and find, raise money for and run candidates for local elections and the House of Representatives from amongst themselves, instead of shooting for the top job, going down in flames and disappearing for 4 years while they grumble? If they took the time to do this they would be better positioned down the road, to run in a Presidential race.
Quote:
Despite being surprised to see my 2008 thread resurrected, here it is 2012, and another presidential election upon us, where are the Libertarians running for local offices around the country? Don't you think you need that kind of structure to build a Presidential run?
Two excellent points.

If libertarians are dissatisfied with the two main parties, there is no other way than to build a third party with not just a single presidential candidate but with state legislators and in both houses of Congress.

I don't buy the view that libertarians will succeed in taking over the entire GOP, because the ideology of the GOP is not entirely in sync with libertarianism ... although I can see both the GOP and the Dems adopting some libertarian planks into their own agendas.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 AM

791 posts, read 460,827 times
Too bad y'all can't listen to what George Washington said about 'party politics' in his Farewell Address. You could Google it, but even if you read it you'd ignore the advice because it just doesn't fit with your worldview.

We've really got to get over this 'party' crap before it's too late...

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Too bad y'all can't listen to what George Washington said about 'party politics' in his Farewell Address. You could Google it, but even if you read it you'd ignore the advice because it just doesn't fit with your worldview.

We've really got to get over this 'party' crap before it's too late...
You actually believe everyone that disagrees with you or Paul is a Party member, got bad news for ya, many of us are Independents

Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
I have been voting since I was 18. I'm 56 now and I have observed from time to time, a presidential candidate will run for President with ideas contrary to the norm/either political party. They will lose and there won't be a peep until another Presidential election where some other guy will show up from out of nowhere (meaning not in the national public political eye) shock the mainstream with their unconventional ideas about 1 or 2 issues and of course, lose the election.

But you guys (Ron Paul fans) seem to have organization and fundraising skills I have never seen before. So my question to you is, what are you going to do after the 2008 presidential election?

See, I don't understand why you don't develop a permanent platform that will stand the test of time and then try to run candidates that support that platform in local elections and maybe for the House of Representatives. In other words, actually build a third party (but don't call it that) based on a multi-issue platform, not just shoot straight for the top position only to go down in flames every 4 years and then disappear until another presidential election.

Am I wrong? Has there been any thought given to this?
Once they achieve their goal of a second Obama term, their work is done.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 AM

791 posts, read 460,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You actually believe everyone that disagrees with you or Paul is a Party member, got bad news for ya, many of us are Independents
And where did I say that?? Or are you clairvoyant and can know what I believe without me saying a word?

Just so you know, what I believe is exactly what I wrote. Party politics will be the death of this country, as it has proved itself over the last 100 years. The puppetmasters behind the scenes keep taking from all of us while we bicker back and forth about the 'issues' they put in front of us.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM

535 posts, read 585,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Once they achieve their goal of a second Obama term, their work is done.

How is Mitt going to do anything differently than O?

They may talk 180 degrees apart, but they act and would vote the same way 99% of the time.

I'd rather have O stay in office, so CONSERVATIVES can act like CONSERVATIVES...

Real conservatives remember how badly REGULATIONS and SPENDING got under GWB, b.c the REPUBLICANS and DEMOCRATS were voting for it.

Same thing will happen if MITT or RICK or NEWT is elected.

Hardly anyone will be fighting for lower spending if anyone of those 3 are elected. If O is elected again, the whole republican party and independents will be fighting to stop REGuLATION and Spending.

ONLY a true conservative (which there are none currently in the race, only moderates and big gov't compassionate republicans) or a libertarian can stop regulation and spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections