Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,115,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You had better present those degrees for approval to the Committee for Walkerphobia.

Education and intelligence are not exclusively found in direct proportion anyway.

In many ways modern universities seem to damage the capacity for intellectual development and creative/critical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,415,058 times
I was just reading another thread that made me wonder: Would the OP support a minimum educational requirement to be an immigrant?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,209,594 times
College has nothing to do with intelligence. Wait 40 years. You'll find out. Life is barely started at 21. You'll see what these people are talking about.

[of course that cowedge bill that you'll spend half of your life paying off just so you can maybe manage a McDonald's or sit in a cubicle with 60 other people is sure to bias your opinion. Truly understandable]

Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
College has nothing to do with intelligence. Wait 40 years. You'll find out. Life is barely started at 21. You'll see what these people are talking about.

[of course that cowedge bill that you'll spend half of your life paying off just so you can maybe manage a McDonald's or sit in a cubicle with 60 other people is sure to bias your opinion. Truly understandable]
You must have a very narrow understanding of higher education if you think college graduates only work in a cubicle with 60 other people or manage a McDonald's. Many, on this thread, think that dropping out of college qualifies one to be president of the US.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,270,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You must have a very narrow understanding of higher education if you think college graduates only work in a cubicle with 60 other people or manage a McDonald's. Many, on this thread, think that dropping out of college qualifies one to be president of the US.
Neither dropping out of college, nor graduating with the highest honors, qualifies anyone to be president.

In fact, its all pretty irrelevant to whether someone would make a good president. By the time someone is 50, or 70, like Mrs. Clinton would be, college was something that happened a quarter to a half century ago, and tells very little of the person's qualifications now.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
As to highly educated versus others....Judgement has to be done individually..however, this goes way back..BUT I could really appreciate someone's "Street Smarts" in many situations..because highly educated only understood (conceptually) what they heard in Class or read in texts...When someone walks the walk versus talk the walk...The Walker (no pun intended) will win out...

However, when those with higher educations steps into the street to talk with and work with them..speaks volumes too...In that case they use their credentialing and then try applying it to real life situations In class, imaginary scenario they think THEY KNOW HOW TO DEAL with mostly isn't even close however are gifted in selling their theory and answers

Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 AM

546 posts, read 409,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You need a degree to be in the CIA or FBI ????? are you sure ?

Im not saying you are wrong, im just saying I have never heard of such a thing.

Also, I dont think a degree is needed, from what I heard Scott Walker was only a few credits shy of his degree and just realized he didnt need a degree to do what he wanted in life.

My last semester in college, do you know what I took ? 2 P.E. Classes(to fill my elective quota), Public Speaking and CIS(aka Microsoft office). If I had failed any of those classes, would have made my actual Course work any less notable or negated the fact that I passed all my Core Business classes with a 3.3 GPA(overall GPA of 3.2), Nope

Im not going to attack the man for being smart enough not to pay 2000 dollars in graduation fees,freaking rip off.
I have a niece in college now, hoping to become an FBI agent, so I do believe that is a minimum.

People generally go to college to better their career prospects, and I agree, if someone secures a good job during college, and the lack of a degree won't affect their future prospects, why continue? That's not anti-intellectual, that's just pragmatic.

I wouldn't want to be judged for a lifetime on my early college experience. I didn't want to be there, and it showed, and I dropped out. After a couple of years working typical HS grad jobs, I wised up and returned to school part-time, continuing to work full time.

I front-loaded classes in my major, because classes in my major qualified me for promotions on the job. I worked hard in school, and for those promotions and got them, while still in school. The tail end of college was electives and core classes. It wasn't going to really do anything for my career, at least not in the one I had then, so I could have quit and made a respectable living. But I was the first in my family to be in college, so it meant a great deal to me to get that piece of paper.

Then there's the man I married. He has had a phenomenally successful career. One year of continuing education after HS, the rest was all about his own competence, hard work, and constant effort learning how the whole business operated, not just the computers. Anyone looking down at him for not going to college is an idiot no matter how many degrees they have. He has scads of real life OTJ experience and can run rings around the people with ivory tower theories of how business should operate. We are where we are at today because his work ethic under difficult circumstances was rewarded.

Long story short, you can't necessarily judge people's intelligence, perseverance, competency or work ethic by a degree or the lack thereof.

Scott Walker? If he is the nominee, I think the Democrats need to walk a fine line. We want our leaders to be "better" than us, or else we don't feel they're qualified to lead. At the same time, too much insulting Scott Walker as a ninny because he dropped out of college is insulting to people who didn't go or never finished, but still consider themselves to be intelligent and competent.

Mock Walker as a college drop-out if you want, but being elected twice as governor and successfully fighting off the recall efforts means quite a few folks in Wisconsin think he's done a fine job.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 PM

49 posts, read 63,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A person can't get a job as secretary in the White House without a degree.

You need a degree to be a commissioned officer in the military.

You can't join the FBI, the CIA or virtually any federal position without a college degree.

Should we remove the college requirement from these positions so we don't have all federal employees with more education than the president? After all, he would be their boss.
Yeah NO COLLEGE DEGREE REALLY HURT BILL GATES & THE OTHER MICROSOFT FOUNDER!!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
For crying out loud! Someone who holds an elected office should, at minimum, understand our history and form of government.

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, a Republican candidate, Twittered about Independence Day Saturday morning:

Quote:
"In America we celebrate July 4th not April 15 because in America we celebrate our independence from the gov't, not our dependence on it,"
Quote:
The results might not have been what his campaign planned. That set off a whole round of replies, both scholarly and snarky. The document signed by our founding fathers, they pointed out, was not a declaration of anarchy. It was a carefully drafted first step to forming a new government, separate from the British Monarchy.
Scott Walker July 4 Tweet Gets History Wrong

Old 07-07-2015, 01:04 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Neither dropping out of college, nor graduating with the highest honors, qualifies anyone to be president.

In fact, its all pretty irrelevant to whether someone would make a good president. By the time someone is 50, or 70, like Mrs. Clinton would be, college was something that happened a quarter to a half century ago, and tells very little of the person's qualifications now.
Actually, Scott Walker's not finishing college isn't really the big deal it is. What is the bigger deal is his fiscal policies gutting the University of Wisconsin budget and the K-12 schools in WI - which may affect many of his constituents' ability to complete their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections