Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Look at it from a technical aspect. If the people watching are illegal (so they can't vote) or are voters who don't know what the heck you just said (because they don't speak Spanish), I fail to see how speaking another language to Democrat voters helps you move up in the polls.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:38 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Look at it from a technical aspect. If the people watching are illegal (so they can't vote) or are voters who don't know what the heck you just said (because they don't speak Spanish), I fail to see how speaking another language to Democrat voters helps you move up in the polls.
Winning in electoral politics is about going broad with your message to appeal to as many voting groups as possible. So what if a group historically doesn't vote for you as a majority ? If you reach out to them, you have an opportunity to present your views and hopefully persuade some to vote for you. It is stupid to write off a group of people just because a number of them won't vote for you.

It is fallacious to assume that people who read/watch/listen to Spanish language media aren't all citizens and cannot vote. You want to cover all of your bases.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Republicans in south Florida (which is where this speech was) are primarily Spanish speaking middle age and elderly 1st generation Cuban-Americans.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
set an example...

2016 Republican primary: Donald Trump attacks Jeb Bush for speaking Spanish

that comment should make the PC crowd's head explode yet again.
He has a point although I don' have anything to partially speaking a different language but shouldn't English be required for anyone who is allowed to vote and therefore being a citizen!

We have tenants who have a green card or are citizens who don't speak a word of English which is mind boggling as they want to live here and to me that means that you speak the language of the country.

it is already annoying having to press "1" for English as to me it should be stay on the line if you speak English and otherwise press..."whatever ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections