Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What a snob Trump is! I'll bet his German immigrant parents had to struggle to learn English and spoke German long after coming here. Freedom of speech covers---guess what---all speech! First generation Americans have always used two languages and understood their native language the best.
Jeb isn't illegal, only his wife............................

Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Then they are not Cubans. Came here and became legal and understand english, as well as speak it.

The only people he is communicating with are illegals that don't understand english well, and they cannot vote.... Or can they.
Just because someone knows and understand English doesn't mean, they aren't more comfortable speaking Spanish. Not to mention not everyone who is a legal citizen knows English well. This is especially true among 1st generation middle age and Senior citizen Cuban Americans (which is pretty much the entire Republican base in South Florida)

Old 09-03-2015, 08:56 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
He's not the first candidate to do it. I'll bet you even voted the last guy who won the White House and spoke in Spanish while on the campaign trail.
And they are all wrong to do it regardless of party affiliation. Our nation's language is English not Spanish nor any other.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And they are all wrong to do it regardless of party affiliation. Our nation's language is English not Spanish nor any other.
That's very tolerance of you. And by the way, we don't have an official language in America.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
English is the Primary language, but not the official language. If someone is speaking to an audience and has the ability to speak in a language that audience is most comfortable in, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Trump is just jealous he can barely speak English - much less be bilingual.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
Id like to stop having to press 1 for English. If you consider yourself an American citizen you should know enough English to get by. If I went to another country I would never expect anyone to cater to me. Catering=enabling.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Id like to stop having to press 1 for English. If you consider yourself an American citizen you should know enough English to get by. If I went to another country I would never expect anyone to cater to me. Catering=enabling.
The whole BS with the Confederate flag was that we should only be flying one flag in this country and I think we should be using one language as well!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:52 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Trump is big into that whole 1950s "egghead" dismissive point of view - criticizing people with a greater intellect or a more reasoned argument. If someone can do something he can't do or has an idea that isn't his they are a "Loser!" I certainly wouldn't call Jeb Bush an intellectual elite or even presidential material but he is head and shoulders above Trump.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Jeb speakers Spanish at home because his wife isn't fluent in English. Most of the Hispanics in dade county are Republican. Jeb has been pandering to the Cubans for a long time. Did you know you can live in Miami and never learn the language? (ENGLISH) it's true. They have Spanish newspapers, television, and most of the people working in stores will address you in Spanish first.
Well, here's the thing...Hispanics in Florida, aren't all Cuban American, the group most commonly thought of as Republican-leaning. You have also a growing community of Puerto Ricans, particularly in the central I-8 corridor, which is considered the "swing" portion of the state. And even the Cuban Americans these days aren't as solidly Republican as before - particularly with the younger generations.

While Jeb's long history in Florida is going to get him an audience, he can't take the Hispanic vote for granted, and they're not going to necessarily agree with his policy positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections