Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Vote For A Muslim U.S. Presidential Candidate?
YES 29 28.71%
NO 72 71.29%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times

Advertisements

I would love to say: yes, I would and religion doesn't enter into who I vote for, but in all honesty, I really don't know if I could or would. Someone said, it is like when Kennedy ran? Hardly, a Catholic, although we had never elected one before, is hardly the same as voting for a Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,868,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Need one more button:
Who votes for someone based on their religious belief? America is a secular nation. I vote based on someone's vision for the country, their record of accomplishment, their ability to lead, ... etc.
Not on their personal religion ...

If you voted for Barack Obama, you're a hypocrite.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,164,069 times
It would just depend. I would have to learn about the candidate and then make a decision.

I have to listen to my brother prattle on about Muslims. I just put down the phone or tell him that I have to get busy and get some things done. I have a strong dislike for the word "hate".

Now, someone that didn't have any belief in God or someone practicing Satanism would not get my vote. And so far, I still have the right to make that kind of choice. The closer another candidates views were to those two groups, the less likely they would be to get my vote also.

I see Muslims in the grocery store because we live near a college. I see they have a "Muslim" center just a couple of blocks from our house. I see no reason to condemn them for their religious beliefs. Yes, I know what the media says.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
The Koran doesn't say the same thing?
Not necessarily - at least, not with such finality. In most Islamic interpretations of the Qu'raan and hadiths, Jews and Christians (people of the book) do not go to hell. It is also up for discussion if hell is a permanent construct within the Islamic faith. Different Quranic scholars have different interpretations.

It's interesting to me that some judge other faith's texts more harshly than they're willing to judge their own. I suppose it's not such a problem if you're in the "right" with those texts.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Simple question.
Would You Vote For A Muslim U.S. Presidential Candidate?
Yes or No.
No, or a Democrat either.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
I dunno....Mohammed Ali might have made a good president. He was well liked and respected around the world.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I dunno....Mohammed Ali might have made a good president. He was well liked and respected around the world.
and he certainly would never have run for president.. I don't think his being a Muslim has anything to do with his popularity or lack of same.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM

677 posts, read 654,093 times
I don't vote yes or no based on religion and so I voted yes. But it depends on who he is and what his policies, views, experience, and platforms are. You know the things we SHOULD evaluate a candidate on.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and he certainly would never have run for president.. I don't think his being a Muslim has anything to do with his popularity or lack of same.
Why one is popular wasn't the question was it?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,296 times
No for me. It may be constitutional that religion can't be a litmus test for a person to be able to run for President, but - as a voter - I have the absolute right to discriminate in this matter (and so does every other voter). Any religion is a set of ideas that we are all allowed to agree or disagree with. I don't want anyone who I fear may have split loyalties (as I do with a Muslim person). I also don't want a tongue-speaking Pentecostal lunatic or a sanctimonious Jehovah's Witness in the White House either. These views are perfectly legal and are mine alone. I have every right to make choice's based on my opinion and my views of other religions, politics, and even favorite football teams. THAT is freedom of thought and consciousness. No one else has to like it or agree with it - but we must have the right to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections