Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times

Advertisements

what is it with the GOP candidates and foot in mouth disease? <--- they need some of this

John Kasich tells audience member they'd 'get over' his Social Security plan - CNNPolitics.com

"who's doing the raping?"
"stuff happens"
now
"get over it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Social Security will be insolvent down the line, they need to increase payments, raise the age or reduce benefits. No one wants to have an honest discussion on this and other issues, they want to hear that a failing system will not impact them and politicians are glad to accommodate.

I give Kasich and Christy credit for being honest, something in short supply.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
"Well, you'd get over it, and you're going to have to get over it," Kasich joked.
Just say'n...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
He is the one who lead the theft of Social Security funds to "balance" the budget.

The person should have told him "Eff you".

Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Social Security will be insolvent down the line, they need to increase payments, raise the age or reduce benefits. No one wants to have an honest discussion on this and other issues, they want to hear that a failing system will not impact them and politicians are glad to accommodate.

I give Kasich and Christy credit for being honest, something in short supply.
Agreed. If either of those two got the nomination for president I could actually vote R without being sick to my stomach.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,147,873 times
He effectively killed any chances of having any serious relevancy among voters to be the Republican nominee for President if there were any relevancy in the first place.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:10 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Agreed. If either of those two got the nomination for president I could actually vote R without being sick to my stomach.
On the flip side as someone who usually votes Republican I'd rather have some of the potential Democrats than a social conservative who wants to cut social security while expanding Medicaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
He effectively killed any chances of having any serious relevancy among voters for their choice to be the Republican nominee for President if there were any relevancy in the first place.
He already made himself anathema to a large enough chunk of the Republican party when he tried to argue against a potential donor for more government spending on the basis of religion; he had no chance before this has no chance afterward.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
You hardly ever here Democrats address what is needed to shore up SS. The fact is you need either benefit cuts, tax increases or some combination of the two. We really can fix SS, we can't fix Medicare and Medicaid without drastic measures.

Liberalized legal immigration if done right could help.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
That is better than I can say for any Democrat running.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM

752 posts, read 567,124 times
Never thought Kasich had much of a chance, but I am surprised at the willingness of some Republican candidates (Jeb!, Christie, etc.) to openly advocate trimming SS benefits. Do they suppose that any such proposal could make it through even a GOP-controlled Congress? Long before cuts are even considered, the public will insist on ratcheting up taxes on the wealthy to a significant degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections